Highmark Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Highmark Health Reviews

Updated May 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • One more point, there is not work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• No work life balance, unreasonable deadlines (in 15 reviews)

"Actuarial Intern"

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

supportive environment, great pay, coworkers made this such a great experience

Cons

more job opportunities after internship

"Interesting place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Technical Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Technical Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always busy, lots of meetings, great co-workers, love the downtown location, the market square farmers market is a great place for lunch outside the building

Cons

Always busy, lots of meetings, the food in the on-site café is a bit pricy but usually good. They could offer smaller options

"Application Developer"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Camp Hill, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

pay rate is good or better than market in general (comparable competitors) and health and employee benefits

Cons

No room for growth, Not a learning organization; finger-pointing. They also need to work with employees to help them develop skills and certifications.

"Save yourself the misery, look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

There's a free gym (until they take that away too)

Cons

Too many to list. They took away work from home, they replace people who quit with more Indians, and are focused on developing offshore instead of Americans. They tell you they appreciate you but then give you a minuscule raise to the next level and expect you to be happy about it. They don't know how to do agile properly. They want you to do more work but also schedule meetings all day so you don't have anytime to get the work done unless you work overtime. They micromanage employees more than ever before. Do yourself a favor by ignoring Highmark if you ever think about applying.

They didn't give non management level employee's a bonus last year because they 'weren't profitable enough'.

Advice to Management

You are destroying employee morale.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Claymont, DE
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Claymont, DE

I worked at Highmark Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your health insurance will be nice (But still not free)

Cons

No room to move up. The entire company lost the ability to work from home & had their reduced 401k matching benefits reduced during my 2 years of employment. There will be no visibility on your work. You will have a minimum of 3 managers because they can't get things right. You will not get a raise within 2 years. It's just bad.

Advice to Management

Please make sure you reward those who put in extra work.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark Health full-time

Pros

*Friendly work environment among fellow employees.
    *Excellent manager.
    *Great mentors.
    *Free gym.

Cons

*Senior leadership is not understanding of the high demands they put on their resources to deliver projects.
    *I was one of the few lucky resources who had a good manager, whereas most people's managers are not capable of managing resources.
    *Pay was not up to par with the workload.

Advice to Management

*Pick a strategic direction and stick with it for more than 6 months.
    *Practice the values you preach by retaining and attracting top talent and invest in your people.

"Candidate"

Current Employee - Senior Project Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark Health (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest Pro is that I didn't get the job!

Cons

Do not waste your time with this company, unless you have the time and money to waste. They offer to fly you in for an interview, which isn't actually an interview but a series of monotone descriptions from foreign nationals about how much passion they have for the company. Five hours of this! Then after spending my time and money because my qualifications were "exactly what they were looking for," I return home and use the number I was given to ask for further information, no one returns calls or emails in their HR department! Three weeks later I receive a 3 line form letter, stating that they thank me for my interest but they choose a candidate "more qualified". Meanwhile they required me to charge the cost of the trip and LOAN them the funds for 4-6 weeks before reimbursed.

Advice to Management

Don't waste people's time. I'm certain that my qualifications were correct but my race was not. Integrate some other nationalities, genders, cultures into your tech departments if you hope to attract talent. The "interviewer's " had no interest in interviewing me. I would have been the only American born citizen in that team, and the team nationality had not occurred by accident. It would be wiser for you to skype or tele-conference these kind of "candidacies" rather than to have a person take a day off from work (at the loss of $400. salary,) to spend several hours in the air to meet for an unpaid 5 hours with people who lack the necessary skills to interview, integrate, or perform and obviously want to keep their current demographic homogeneous.

It is dangerous for a corporation to enable this kind of flagrant discrimination against American born citizens. You are dead to me.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Great medical, dental and vision benefits. 401K's performance is outstanding.
    Public Relations, Government Affairs, Community Affairs and Foundation teams are the best. The Caring Place has helped thousands!
    Employee volunteer spirit and philanthropy is incredible (United Way, Highmark Walk - but volunteering through Highmark is now only possible for salaried employees).
    Davis Vision, UC Dental, and HM Insurance Group are the best companies to work for under the Highmark umbrella.
    There are many unsung heroes that give their best to put the customer first.
    More career opportunities for IT, IT Security, and Project Management talent.

Cons

Promotes wellness and importance of health but the majority of employees are unable to live a healthy lifestyle. Work life balance is not possible. Great mission, vision, and values statements but 10-12 hour days are the norm. Your work life plays out in your head 24x7. Volume and scope of work is beyond manageable for most. Under prior executive leadership, employees felt like they wanted to work long hours because they were part of a team, making a difference, and truly were dedicate to serving the customer. They could voice concerns and offer feedback along with management 360 reviews. Leaders were called on the carpet for bad behavior and actually put into programs/trained to improve and grow their skills. That is no longer the case, especially at HM Health Solutions. If you report to a toxic manager or other senior executive, management or HR will not be there to assist you. Since leaving Highmark, I've regained my health and well-being but it's taken many months to recover!

Advice to Management

Drop the draconian approach to managing people. The millennials won't stand for it. If you want culture change, please look to the employees first for their feedback and have them lead the charge. The best part of Highmark was the feeling of being part of something special and its "hometown" values of doing the right thing, being part of a "family"/team. That's what made it a great company that consumers trusted.
    In the long rung, great pay won't bring back the time missed with family/friends and employee physical/mental health. Medical research shows that proper diet, sleep, rest and relaxation actually increases productivity and sound business decisions.
    Negative word of mouth is a very expensive problem.
    Get back to focusing on the core business.
    Look to promoting from within and hiring local talent.
    If HM Health Solutions wants to be a vendor, then it had better start to behave like one. Fix the problems first!
    And - large corporations are bringing their business back to the US from prior offshore relationships. Better quality and service to the customer. Time to think about putting more people to work in West Virginia, Delaware and Pennsylvania.

"Sr. Application Developer"

Former Employee - Contractor in Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Pitts, PA

I worked at Highmark Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home allowed on a weekly basis, the company offered competitive compensation and a cube with shelves and drawers.

Cons

Constant changing of priorities, sometimes in the same day, lack of training, very high pressure environment, no support from management. NO work life balance

Advice to Management

Remember your people can make or break you, so treat them accordingly

"Stressful"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Penn Pitt, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Penn Pitt, PA

I worked at Highmark Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good..used to be better but lost a lot including PTO days and holidays. That Is About ALL I Can Say.

Cons

Stressful, forever changing culture, can't retain, Methodologies of lean does not work. No work home life balance and they don't care. The thought is if you don't like or conform you can leave. No job security, expect you to work 12 hr days and 7 days a week. You can never take your vacation. They don't care about the employees. The health that they promote is only for the public because you are lucky if you make it to the bathroom Meetings are schedule at 6:30 am until 7pm including through lunch.

Advice to Management

I understand bottom line but think of your employees as people not numbers. You can't keep driving them the ground and expect quality work.