Cover image for Highmark Health

Highmark Health

Engaged Employer

Highmark Health

Add a Review

Highmark Health Employee Reviews about "highmark"

Updated Nov 22, 2021

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Some areas have bad management levels.(in 52 reviews)
  • "I think upper management is aware it is a problem, but appear to be slow and/or reluctant to address due to internal politics.(in 29 reviews)
  • "High turn over of senior leadership and constantly changing direction of the company.(in 23 reviews)
  • "Punishments are 'all or none' so that managers do not need to confront troublemakers.(in 18 reviews)
  • "No training for the job.(in 16 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Highmark Health and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "highmark"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great opportunities

Nov 22, 2021 - Great Place to Work! in Camp Hill, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The Benefits and Compensation are great - health, dental & vision and paid time off, etc. - They contribute and match much of your own retirement investments. - Encourages and offers some reimbursement for continued education - There are opportunities to grow as your interests grow with IT or Operations, Finance, etc. - Highmark is a big advocate of innovation in our work and although a huge company, strives to make things simple. - Highmark is an advocate for the communities we live and work, and supports and encourages our community involvement. I've been here for 30+ years and

Cons

We don't get free health insurance.

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Brand

We are thrilled to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are glad to hear you are enjoying the benefits, compensation and opportunities. We appreciate your additional feedback!

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Aug 24, 2021 - Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, salary, bonus, work remotely

Cons

Highmark is a very large organization. At times, it can feel too big.

Employer Brand

Thank you so much for your review of Highmark Health as a current Program Manager! We are glad to hear you are enjoying the culture, compensation and work from home schedule. We appreciate your feedback!

3. Join the Highmark Health team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Highly Reccomend

Aug 6, 2021 - Senior Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Offers flexible work schedules, great management, numerous growth opportunities. Great company and people that care!

Cons

I'm not sure I can fill the 15 word minimum for this, but I'll try. I have seen negative comments for Highmark and many other companies. While I don't deny that everyone hasn't had the same experience as I have, every job, company, etc., certainly has their negative aspects.

Employer Brand

Thank you so much for your review of Highmark Health as a current Senior Consultant! We are glad to hear you are enjoying the schedule, management and growth opportunities. We appreciate your feedback!

5. 2.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Waste of Time

Aug 10, 2021 - Business Analyst (Intern)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is high Highmark is a recognizable name Team Members are all nice

Cons

Quite honestly the biggest waste of time in my life. I came in hoping to do actual work and was cast to the side given zero opportunity to do anything meaningful(got a task every few weeks it was just copy and paste for 2 hours - truly mind numbing activity) or fulfilling and the only reason it is worth it is because it is a recognizable name. If you have the opportunity to go somewhere else I would do it. Even if it is for less money. I would go days at a time with no direction at all. Horrible internship

Employer Brand

Thank you for your review of Highmark Health as a former Business Analyst (Intern)! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the compensation and coworkers. Please know, we remain committed to encouraging a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees and we appreciate your additional feedback.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Would give 4.5 stars if I could.. it’s about as good as Corporate America can get.

Mar 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Base salary and annual performance bonuses are very competitive. Health benefits are obviously strong. It’s clear the organization cares about continuing to improve both hard and soft benefits and gauges feedback via surveys. In today’s work culture, any company can get hectic at times but in my career experience I’ve found Highmark has given me the best work-life balance. It’s also been very reassuring that leadership trusts us to work remotely and in fact has praised us for strong performance during such an unprecedented year. I feel very content at Highmark Health and see myself continuing to grow here long-term.

Cons

Coming in from the outside, there is a lot to learn about the Highmark Way, so to speak. There can be a lot of history and internal politics involved in daily work. It can take even the fastest of learners awhile to get adjusted and learn the ropes, which can cause anxiety and stress. There are also a lot of personalities. However, once you’re in and you’ve found your way, the sailing becomes a lot smoother. Because the company is so large, it can feel like you’re just a number, especially if you’re an individual contributor and not a leader. Many communications are passed down through leadership first, so it can turn into a game of Telephone and leave employees feeling less-than. It can feel like more specific employee feedback is not being heard at high levels.

Employer Brand

Thank you so much for your review of Highmark Health as a current employee! We are glad to hear you are enjoying the compensation, benefits and work-life balance. We appreciate your additional feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve the employee experience.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work for

Jan 6, 2021 - Data Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Highmark has a very good culture. Its inclusive and the work schedules are flexible.

Cons

There is corporate politics sometimes.

Employer Brand

Thank you for your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health as a current Data Analyst! We are so glad to hear you enjoy the culture and flexible schedule.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, lots of learning opportunities

Nov 9, 2020 - Information Security Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work with some of the most talented and driven people in the industry which makes going to work so fun. Highmark also offers tons of learning opportunities and really encourages continuing your education while working there.

Cons

Senior Management is reluctant to listen to individual contributors if requests cost money (upgrading tools, pay raises, new tools, etc). This can be really frustrating when you need something to do your job effectively and they require you to justify it over and over again. Most just give up.

Talent Community Manager

We really appreciate you taking the time to submit such a detailed and thoughtful review as a current Information Security Analyst and are glad to hear that you've enjoyed the opportunities for career growth and your coworkers. Your concerns will be shared internally.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Meh

Oct 6, 2020 - Information Technology in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you're working for Highmark as an employee, it's good. I can't express this enough. It was great in that aspect. Good pay and bennies. Good teams to work with.

Cons

If you are in the IT field, you're the first to get cut. Save your money as much as possible. Also, if you are in IT, be prepared to get pigeon holed into one spot and never learn another position.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Former Intern

Great learning opportunity

Feb 10, 2020 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Highmark really seemed to want their interns to learn and enjoy the experience

Cons

They did little to nothing to try to keep you on full time, it was up to you to try to reach out and find a full time position

Talent Community Manager

We really appreciate you taking the time to submit such a detailed and thoughtful review as a former Intern. We will be sure to share your feedback internally as we are always looking to improve the employee experience. Thank you for your time at Highmark Health and best of luck in your future endeavors!

11. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

I Beg You To Turn And Walk Away

Mar 7, 2020 - Customer Service Representative in Parkersburg, WV
    Business Outlook

Pros

You'll have some great coworkers that are looking for the door as fast as you. So, you'll have an abundance of things to talk about with them.

Cons

I want to be clear when I write that, with only 400 people in the building, the Parkersburg office has training classes of 15-20 for this position every couple of months. Why is that you ask? Because, most people quit with 3-6 months. Why? Because this isn't a position in which the company retains employees. If you don't quit, with a few more months, you'll most likely be fired. As a larger employer in the Parkersburg area, it would be assumed that this would be a stable job. That couldn't be further from the truth. The sheer level of loathing and disdain from longer term employees (of which there are very few) should help you to understand just how incredibly bad it can be. Why are they still there, then you ask? Because, in Parkersburg, there aren't a lot of options and the people that have managed to make Highmark their entire lives are still barely hanging on by a thread and know they're completely replaceable. Highmark preys on this community, instilling an idea of the hope of steady and stable jobs. They don't provide these and their business isn't set up to. The businesses itself lacks communication i.e. the way that customer service reps are rated changed in April of 2019, however no one, not even supervisors knew of this until September of 2019. Departments within the company don't work together and who loses? You and Highmark's unfortunate policy holders. Many people go into the details of their positions and write what was bad about it. I won't waste your time with that. I promise you that 5% of people find stability within Highmark in the Parkersburg Office and it won't be you. Please don't waste your precious time with this organization. From day one in training, they begin to tell you that you could be terminated over and over ad infinitum. And, if you don't quit first, somewhere down the road, you will be terminated. The company and position are nothing sort of absolute chaos. If, however you do like your work environment loaded with vagaries, instability, miserable management and total hostility, I'd still say that, rest assured, you will be blantanly undermined by the terrible structure of this insufferable company, it's openly hostile management style and it's precariously unattainable and malevolently micromanaged goals. Two more things of utmost importance: The HR portion of the Parkersburg building is full of offices and desks, but all of them are empty. Not one single person works in that part of the building. Any HR is computer based only and won't reach back out to employees. Read all the reviews about Highmark in order of most recent first. You'll find a few 5 stars. These are mostly consultants, interns and upper management that were asked by the company to write reviews. To the administrator who thanks people for their reviews. Please don't write about what HR or the company will do or keep in mind. We all know it won't.

13 people found this review helpful