Hightail Reviews | Glassdoor

Hightail CEO & Founder Ranjith Kumaran
Ranjith Kumaran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Now what remains is angry upper management to lost their pay day (in 5 reviews)

• My boss only lasted a couple of months before he was let go (in 3 reviews)

"On an Upswing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since Hightail pivoted to a creative collaboration tool in 2016, the company is aggressively hiring. This means lots of new hires being added to the talent pool. New hires lead to new ideas, new projects and new energy. People are ready to sell and support this product and make it a success.

There are lots of snacks and drinks and free lunches. Great benefits (including unlimited PTO).

New executives in marketing and customer support are great to see as they are bringing a fresh perspective and are ready to make improvements in many areas.

Ranjith (CEO) is really personable and is in touch of what's happening on the ground floor. He sits with everyone else in the open office setting, chats you up in the halls & break room, and listens in on customer support calls to help better understand our clients. After working for some companies with CEOs who rule from a high castle, it's a pleasure to be in this environment.

Cons

Long terms employees are battle tested and have some scars from past pivots. They've seen this company try and find an edge, and unfortunately haven't seen that goal come to fruition. With the last pivot in 2016, the CEO (Brad Garlinghouse) was gone and there were layoffs all over. It understandably hurt morale. Ideally, we're back on a better track to success. It will take effort and time and hard work. Some people are ready for that challenge; some people aren't.

With the latest pivot, many long term clients were not happy. They use Hightail for file sharing and simply do not care about creative collaboration. This has lead to some rough conversations throughout 2016 and early 2017. New clients in marketing, creative services and branding are coming aboard in 2017 so we are making progress.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Be sure to heavily market and advertise what our latest product is and why it's needed. Many out there still don't realize what we're doing as a company.

"Turn out the lights, the party's over..."

I worked at Hightail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New website built on modern stack running on AWS. Pay and benefits in line with much larger companies. Good, free snacks and drinks including a legit coffee machine.

Cons

Hightail has spent the last 4 years flip-flopping between Enterprise and Prosumer, and the end result is a product that doesn't work for either. Cash is starting to dry up and it's once again time to consider selling and/or doing another mass layoff. Underperformers have been kept around far too long - that might be fine at large company with tons of cash, but has been detrimental to a delivering results in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

When customers are confused and unhappy, have an honest conversation around it and hold managers responsible for fixing it, rather than handing the problems to the least capable employees and spinning positive results in an attempt to inflate morale.

"Empty office (most of the staff was laid off)"

Former Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Campbell, CA

I worked at Hightail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The severance package was pretty good. We knew layoffs were coming. It is a great job market. I stayed on to get the severance package (this ain't my first rodeo) so I get to collect double pay for a few weeks. I mean layoffs are coming so you do little things. You use your full FSA allotment so the company pays it out of their pocket. You leave your spare power supply at home the week of the layoffs and you never bother to turn it in. I'm a pro at the big layoff. BTW I'm talking about the October 2017 layoff, not the huge one from a few years before.

Cons

I am guessing for the few still left working there, it must be a pretty quite office. I doubt they are hiring but if they are.... You can find work that is more stable. I am not irked or upset. I had reasons for joining and it was not the long term potential of the company.

"Would not go back"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Campbell, CA

Pros

Benefits were pretty comprehensive and salaries competitive.

Cons

Company changes focus literally quarterly as they struggle to find a niche since file sharing became a commodity.

"Ridiculously high turnover"

Current Employee - Senior Management
    Current Employee - Senior Management

I have been working at Hightail (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent emplyees, well skilled and knowledgeable

Cons

Best employees get laid off

"Been through some tough times, pivoted, much better now."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

- Building interesting new tech stack using lots of open source
    - Shakeup in company 12-18 months ago means lots of opportunity now
    - CEO really believes in developing every employee for their own benefit too, not just the company's... this makes for more of an "alliance" rather than an old-fashioned employee relationship.
    - Great work life balance, very results oriented... this means you have to deliver value and pull your weight in your team, but if you do then your schedule can be quite flexible.
    - Good balance of sympathy for circumstances and doing what's best for the business... yes sometimes people have to go, but in my experience this is done with compassion. Keeping teams high performing and adapting to the business as it changes takes some tough decisions but the team is generally healthier for it.
    - Open culture means everyone has the potential to see their ideas realized in the product.
    - Free Monday lunch, often other days too for Lunch and Learns and tech talks. Copious snacks.
    - Competitive salaries pegged to market and comprehensive benefits.
    - No stack ranking for performance evaluations! Your performance is your performance, if your entire team rocks, your entire team rocks and you won't be adjusted just to fit a curve.
    - Nice, fun people with minimal politics compared to other places I've been.
    - "Established startup" means Hightail is profitable and stable which is a nice place to be in rather than feeling the pressure of a burn rate with a short horizon.
    - Despite all the changes 12-18 months ago, there are a lot of people here who have been with the company 3+ years, so there is more stability than you would think. Remaining people believe in the vision and direction of the company.
    - It is a different company compared to 18 months ago. It is really impressive to see a company as old as Hightail successfully pivot.

Cons

- Free wheeling open culture means you have to provide some of your own structure and direction. Opportunities are there but you have to reach out and grab them and show you deserve them. Only a con if you prefer more structure provided for you.
    - Moving fast means communication suffers sometimes... you have to work harder to keep your colleagues apprised of where you are going and vice versa.
    - Hightail isn't shy about letting low performers go, or even high performers who just don't fit with the business anymore. Communication could be better here, sometimes people just disappear.

Advice to Management

- Continue with management training on alliance framework... it is a good philosophy.
    - Stay positive, you are heading in the right direction.

"Future not so bright"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free lunch on Mondays, satellite office in San Francisco, well stocked drinks and snacks.
    - Freedom to explore new technologies.
    - Good work/life balance.

Cons

- Quite a bit of turnover in last few months.
    - Manager provides little direction or feedback on work.
    - Same broken record of a message from executive team.
    - Politics between teams and behind closed doors is getting really tiring.
    - HR encouraged employees to post "positive" feedback on job boards and social media due to negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees and customers

"HR"

I worked at Hightail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn new things.

Cons

Too many changes in the management team.

"Total brain drain"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Campbell, CA

I worked at Hightail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility is great here , learn new stuff and work with the latest apps and tools. Some co worker is great but then some I really wonder what they contribute or why they are even here !

Cons

Management clueless , too many change of directions and too many smart people leaving to find more interesting positions. Some manager are totally micro manger and focus on the wrong things and they need to move over and let go or this company is doomed.

Advice to Management

Find the right people to fix it

"Hightail is pretty terrible"

I have been working at Hightail (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Some good snacks
    - Friends can still remember the yousendit brand before it went south

Cons

- Brand under Brad had a great future. Now what remains is angry upper management to lost their pay day
    - Most people who are still here are embarrassed to work here
    - Low performers. Clueless management

Advice to Management

Time to leave