KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Technical Account Manager

60 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance(in 6 reviews)
  • "Good pay, good people, open to criticisms.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Following a major shift in executive management, sparked by the loss of an inspiring and insightful CEO, there just aren't any pros to list about Hightail anymore.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Great culture in office in terms of activities, etc. Really, really fun place to work(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Software engineer

Feb 20, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing work culture and team. Great product and competent managers and collaborative environment, good cross functional teams with great communication

Cons

Lack of a product team, would definitely be better if there is a dedicated product team to communicate the product priorities and long term goals

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee

a mixed bag

Jan 24, 2022 - VP-Technology in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

innovative work culture and excellent designers

Cons

lots of engineering technical debt and refusal to invest in fixing

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Tons of growth and advancement opportunities for those that are IN!

Feb 25, 2014 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked here over a year now and I still love coming to work every day! Let me address the elephant in the room: turnover. Yes, it's been high lately but a lot of that is due to bonuses. We all got them, some more, some less, based upon our performance. So, a lot of people hung around to get their bonus payout, some didn't get the bonus they thought they deserved (based upon performance) so they left or were asked to leave, and others just got fab jobs that they couldn't say 'no' to. It happens. We are in a great location, we have an exec team who cares, they are transparent with our company status, they admit when they get it wrong. There are a ton of perks if you chose to use them. Lots of flexibility to help achieve that work/life balance.

Cons

It is what you make of it. Opportunity does not just present itself to those that do not try. Our company values are very clear but really only fully work if every one buys in. If you are not IN, then maybe it's time to go?

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging, rewarding experience!!

Mar 27, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hightail is a very fun, cool place to work. The company competes in a very hot, explosive growth market and is considered a strong leader in the space. Hightail is run by a management team that genuinely cares about its employees and encourages open communication and dialogue. Since the company is on the grow, there are lots of opportunities for professional growth. What I love most about Hightail is the culture and its values. The company has an amazing culture that fosters interaction among various groups--if you are willing to participate. In addition to some of the best benefits in Silicon Valley, Hightail provides employees with Free Lunch Mondays, Beer Cart Fridays, Happy Hours, Ice Cream Socials, Ping Pong/Beer Pong Tournaments, Holiday Parties (amazing gifts), Softball, Charitable Involvement (yes, a Silicon Valley company with a heart), etc. If you love a fast-paced, team-oriented environment where you can truly make a difference, Hightail is a great place to be!

Cons

In my opinion, the company tends to "over communicate" its strengths and challenges to the employees. This is great for most people; not so great for others.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Time to Join Late Stage Startup

Apr 13, 2014 - Senior Director Business Development in Campbell, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I joined about three years ago, and a little over two years ago we got a new CEO, Brad Garlinghouse. Brad has done an excellent job instilling a strong culture that rewards risk taking and passion. The other senior executives brought on board have also been outstanding. There were some disgruntled employees who were let go after Brad's arrival. It's unfortunate some unhappy vocal workers can make more noise than the happy employees (who don't tend to post reviews). I have been at 6 startups over 25 years of which two went public. It's hard to find today a quality, late stage startup like Hightail with a high probability chance for IPO or being acquired. Fun, challenging work.

Cons

The pace of the company is fast with often long hours. However we are at the forefront of making the freemium business model work so picking up fantastic skills and lessons.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee

Cut throat and extremely political

Dec 8, 2011 - Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good restaurants, decent location, some good employees and lots of parking space.

Cons

This place is a highly cut throat and political environment. Most of the upper management is clueless on what it takes to run a company. Management is not capable of running this company and is driving it down the drain. Employee dissatisfaction is at its peak. Morale is very low and upper management is directly responsible for this. It is not a technology driven or results oriented company. All management and products cares about is only the end date and they don't care on how it is achieved. It does not even matter if engineers are burnt out and resign. Engineers are just replaceable physical bodies without any value attached. No plans for profitability or IPO and they give you a boat load of crap trying to boost morale that is not there. The technical debt there is huge and the architecture is pathetic but no one pays attention to it. Weekly releases with such a horrible architecture is killing people. Management is extremely egoistic and self-centered and only care about themselves. CEO talks about doing charity when his own company folks are suffering. The attitude of the upper management towards engineering has to be seen to believe.

10 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Biggest Joke Ever working in a Company

Aug 20, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Small perks you will find in most start up

Cons

Engineering is always in big chaos, they spend most time fixing things that are broken rather than building new. They put people with poor technical knowledge and zero management skills in top positions, all they are good at are playing politics. Although politics are universal phenomena, in this company it is carried to extreme. On one hand they ask people to be IN, be BOLD, and be REAL, on the other hand they punish people for being Bold and Real who dare to speak up their mind and provide different opinion, shame on them! It’s utmost mistake to trust anyone or take any words from their management. They can’t live up to their own company standard and have to give in to people who absolutely do not deserve to be in their positions. The direct consequence is high attrition rate, more and more talent people are leaving, it doesn’t matter how fast they recruit…But people are always the foundation of a company and even a nation, NOT politicians. They ask new hire to tell embarrassing stories on the day they join. I was with the company long enough to not have a chance to tell, but THE most embarrassing story I ever had in my life was to trust the wrong people and took their words until the last minute, it is a lifetime humiliation!

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company. Great people. Great opportunity.

Mar 27, 2014 - Senior Marketing Manager in Campbell, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I joined Hightail, I joined for the people, the role and the opportunity. I am pleased to report after almost a year into the role, I have no regrets. Hightail hosts an amazing team at all levels of the organization. It is a company full of very smart and passionate people - quite humbling. In addition, the management team is to notch and earnestly wants insights and feedback from the team. There is an open dialogue, regardless of level, which is very refreshing.

Cons

Like everyone in the space, we are trying to do a lot, and there are just not enough hours in the day.

4 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Prepared to takeoff

Jun 29, 2012 - Senior Software Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

New CEO is a star. We've already seen and heard from him more in 5 weeks than from the prior CEO in five years. Finally getting some leadership and not just lectures. We have some great managers, but used to spend a lot of time on internal matters Great culture in office in terms of activities, etc. Really, really fun place to work

Cons

Better pay (hey, who doesn't want more money). Especially among people that have been here a while. Newbies get bigger packages. Could work better cross functionally. But sense that changes on that front are coming soon.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A shell of the formerly great company

Nov 24, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Following a major shift in executive management, sparked by the loss of an inspiring and insightful CEO, there just aren't any pros to list about Hightail anymore. Ratings before this change would have been completely different. Prior to the new CEO taking over in September 2014 and terminating over 50% of the company's employees, it was a fantastic place to work. There were great people in a progressive and exiting culture, good pay and benefits, visionary management and a solid product that was moving in the right direction to become a major contender in the marketplace. What followed is a sad situation resulting from very poor business decisions.

Cons

Those employees that were left after the termination of over 100 of their co-workers are in the precarious position of working for a company with insufficient staff and a very unstable future. While Hightail attempted to entice some employees to return, realizing that very short-sighted and uneducated decisions had been made, people are avoiding it like the plague. Many left behind in the chaos have now sought other opportunities. Morale is poor and there is little or no potential for career growth. I would not recommend that anyone work at Hightail now/

5 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 98 Reviews

Hightail Reviews FAQs

Hightail has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 106 reviews left anonymously by employees. 49% of employees would recommend working at Hightail to a friend and 38% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Hightail employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Hightail. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

49% of Hightail employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Hightail 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Hightail to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Hightail Job Seekers