Hightail Reviews | Glassdoor

Hightail CEO & Founder Ranjith Kumaran
Ranjith Kumaran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Now what remains is angry upper management to lost their pay day (in 5 reviews)

• My boss only lasted a couple of months before he was let go (in 3 reviews)

"Hightail is pretty terrible"

I have been working at Hightail (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Some good snacks
    - Friends can still remember the yousendit brand before it went south

Cons

- Brand under Brad had a great future. Now what remains is angry upper management to lost their pay day
    - Most people who are still here are embarrassed to work here
    - Low performers. Clueless management

Advice to Management

Time to leave

"Turnover town"

Former Employee - Database Developer in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Database Developer in Campbell, CA

I worked at Hightail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snacks and parties were good. Beer was encouraged. Had a good bunch of people to work with/for until they were fired. Great company motto: fungagement!

Cons

There were some 200+ employees at the time, but their turnover was incredible. There were so many mass recipient "goodbye" emails, that I started to save them to keep track, but I was fired before I ever tallied them up. My boss only lasted a couple of months before he was let go. A few months after that, the new boss (a nasty person), asked me into a conference room where I was presented with my exit papers -- meanwhile the IT department was clearing my desk. A few months later, she moved on to greener pastures herself. Oh yeah, and they took back my stock options while a friend of mine got to keep his.

"Major loss of momentum, not a fun place to work anymore"

I worked at Hightail full-time

Pros

Unfortunately most all of the pros have vaporized in the recent months with downsizing, mgmt team leaving, axing the entire enterprise team, etc.

Cons

No concrete vision and total loss of focus, just struggling to keep up... really sad given the momentum was great until recently and it seems doubtful they'll be able to turn things around at this point.

Advice to Management

Its too late to do things differently. Need to focus on getting morale up and delivering an achievable vision for the future. No more vaporware.

"dysfunctional company in decline"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer

Pros

office space is nice enough

Cons

declining business, layoffs, and attrition

Advice to Management

sell or shutdown the company

"Going down the drain"

I worked at Hightail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was in a very interesting space a few years ago but that has changed over the course of this year. Right now there aren't any Pro's.

Cons

No vision, no personal growth, lacking a unique strategy forward. Feels like a graveyard with many people not excited to go into work.

Advice to Management

Find your true north and over communicate it to everyone on board, get everyone to buy into a single vision and then make a pivot with some smart people on board to steer the ship.

"A shell of the formerly great company"

I worked at Hightail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Following a major shift in executive management, sparked by the loss of an inspiring and insightful CEO, there just aren't any pros to list about Hightail anymore. Ratings before this change would have been completely different. Prior to the new CEO taking over in September 2014 and terminating over 50% of the company's employees, it was a fantastic place to work. There were great people in a progressive and exiting culture, good pay and benefits, visionary management and a solid product that was moving in the right direction to become a major contender in the marketplace. What followed is a sad situation resulting from very poor business decisions.

Cons

Those employees that were left after the termination of over 100 of their co-workers are in the precarious position of working for a company with insufficient staff and a very unstable future. While Hightail attempted to entice some employees to return, realizing that very short-sighted and uneducated decisions had been made, people are avoiding it like the plague. Many left behind in the chaos have now sought other opportunities. Morale is poor and there is little or no potential for career growth. I would not recommend that anyone work at Hightail now/

Advice to Management

Think before you act. Hasty decisions lead to the current situation.

"Hightail???? try Tailspin"

Pros

There are no real benefits other than location

Cons

No direction, no focus, constant attrition of quality employees

Advice to Management

Close the doors

"Biggest Joke Ever working in a Company"

I worked at Hightail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small perks you will find in most start up

Cons

Engineering is always in big chaos, they spend most time fixing things that are broken rather than building new.

They put people with poor technical knowledge and zero management skills in top positions, all they are good at are playing politics. Although politics are universal phenomena, in this company it is carried to extreme. On one hand they ask people to be IN, be BOLD, and be REAL, on the other hand they punish people for being Bold and Real who dare to speak up their mind and provide different opinion, shame on them!

It’s utmost mistake to trust anyone or take any words from their management. They can’t live up to their own company standard and have to give in to people who absolutely do not deserve to be in their positions. The direct consequence is high attrition rate, more and more talent people are leaving, it doesn’t matter how fast they recruit…But people are always the foundation of a company and even a nation, NOT politicians.

They ask new hire to tell embarrassing stories on the day they join. I was with the company long enough to not have a chance to tell, but THE most embarrassing story I ever had in my life was to trust the wrong people and took their words until the last minute, it is a lifetime humiliation!

Advice to Management

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.

"Hightail = High School = A Vicious Cycle"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, talented, and hard working people. Good space to be in. Lots of opportunity and growth. Tons of fun stuff scheduled for the employees throughout the year like massages, weekly lunches, movies, company picnic, beer cart on Fridays, free coffee on Mondays at Barefoot, and "unlimited" PTO.

Cons

The culture and its values is like a beautiful house built on top of a graveyard. There are more people leaving than getting hired every day. It's like high school with all the drama. We all know what the problems and issues are (incompetent people, bad environments, constant reorg, lack of transparency, bad processes, nepotism), but Mgmt. seems to be wearing their rosy colored glasses on full time. They're either ignoring the problems and hoping it'll solve itself or it's not being addressed properly.

Advice to Management

If you're fostering a feedback culture, please listen, pay attention to those around you, and take corrective actions.

"Worst. Place. Ever."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Really. NONE. I truly wish I could write some. Only small silver lining is that there are two good people I work with.

Cons

The organization is BLEEDING. Every Monday there are multiple voluntary departures. Recently very high profile ones left, including head of design. Management thinks that not announcing these is a good strategy. People simply disappear.

This week has reached a new level of urgency. People have started announcing their departures in mid week. They are not waiting for Monday or Friday.

HR is totally oblivious of severity this fundamental issue. They arranged a team-building event of watching Lego Movie which had severe unintended consequences. Now they are doing a mandatory strength finder exercise. The company is having a heart attack and they are busy putting nail polish ... on the little toe!

Until last week the departures were restricted to a few departments. Now it is a pandemic across the company. I am worried sick about company future.

There is complete lack of trust among teams and individuals. Job security is highest priority.

Advice to Management

Just because you are in cloud services industry does not mean that you have to have your heads in the clouds. Please, o please, come down to the 2nd or 3rd floor, literally AND figuratively. You are SO removed from the real workings of the company.

The top management is not experienced. None, I mean, NONE, of them had previously been CXOs. Most, if not all, of the VPs are first time VPs in their lives. Guys, this is a real company, not a CXO training school funded by investor moneys. Get some real talent and experience guys. I will not be surprised if the top management is let go in 1 or 2 quarters. I will congratulate the board if that happens and I am still around.

PLEASE STOP REALIGNMENT AND REORGANIZATION, PLEASE! We have work to do.