Hightail Reviews | Glassdoor

Hightail CEO & Founder Ranjith Kumaran
Ranjith Kumaran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Now what remains is angry upper management to lost their pay day (in 5 reviews)

• My boss only lasted a couple of months before he was let go (in 3 reviews)

"On an Upswing"

I have been working at Hightail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since Hightail pivoted to a creative collaboration tool in 2016, the company is aggressively hiring. This means lots of new hires being added to the talent pool. New hires lead to new ideas, new projects and new energy. People are ready to sell and support this product and make it a success.

There are lots of snacks and drinks and free lunches. Great benefits (including unlimited PTO).

New executives in marketing and customer support are great to see as they are bringing a fresh perspective and are ready to make improvements in many areas.

Ranjith (CEO) is really personable and is in touch of what's happening on the ground floor. He sits with everyone else in the open office setting, chats you up in the halls & break room, and listens in on customer support calls to help better understand our clients. After working for some companies with CEOs who rule from a high castle, it's a pleasure to be in this environment.

Cons

Long terms employees are battle tested and have some scars from past pivots. They've seen this company try and find an edge, and unfortunately haven't seen that goal come to fruition. With the last pivot in 2016, the CEO (Brad Garlinghouse) was gone and there were layoffs all over. It understandably hurt morale. Ideally, we're back on a better track to success. It will take effort and time and hard work. Some people are ready for that challenge; some people aren't.

With the latest pivot, many long term clients were not happy. They use Hightail for file sharing and simply do not care about creative collaboration. This has lead to some rough conversations throughout 2016 and early 2017. New clients in marketing, creative services and branding are coming aboard in 2017 so we are making progress.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Be sure to heavily market and advertise what our latest product is and why it's needed. Many out there still don't realize what we're doing as a company.

"A new day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

New Tech Stack
    Great work/life balance
    collaborative work environment
    focus on transparency
    employees are encouraged to take ownership

Cons

No real cons as of right now. Hightail is building something brand new and there will be a lot of heavy lifting needed to get things launched.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Original founder Ranjith Kumaran has returned, cleared house at exec level, and laid off half of workforce. I label this a pro because major change was inevitable, and better to bite the bullet now rather than wait until the piggy bank is empty and the bubble has burst. Ironically, the company was spread too thin under Brad Garlinghouse, focusing on branding while the product went stagnant, growth went flat, and the tech organization operated without leadership, vision, or priorities. End result - a "lipstick on a pig" platform that is lagging behind the competition in terms of features, yet overly complicated and unreliable. It’s so bad that many employees recommend and prefer Dropbox or Google. Yeah, I said it.

To the former CEO’s credit, he did build a positive culture that recognized top performers, and the company still can boast that it values employees, offers excellent benefits (401k match is the only thing missing), is light on politics, and offers two excellent locations in Campbell's Pruneyard or San Francisco's SOMA district. Hightail is currently doing a full product reboot, and believe it or not, there is reason to be upbeat on its future. In two years of working here, this is the first time I would recommend it to a friend.

Cons

The middle management layer was purged in 2013, and this has created a very flat structure. While that’s refreshing in some ways, it also repeatedly creates situations where problems and responsibilities lack ownership and folks at the Director and VP level get overwhelmed. There’s also a long history of bad processes, sloppy or non-existent project management, over-promotion as means of retention, not to mention two acquisitions intended to add talent that really just created conflict. Despite the recent overhaul, most employees are complacent to these problems and it will take additional staffing changes to undo them.

Advice to Management

When hiring leaders, make sure they have people under them who can effectively champion projects and see them to the finish line. Otherwise, good ideas ultimately end up as junk in the tech debt pile.

"Awesome experience"

I have been working at Hightail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great office atmosphere, have to opportunity to utilize SF office space.
    - Frequent communications to employees about the happenings of the company from all departments
    - cool perks, including my favorite "get sh*t done" weeks
    - Great relationship with team members, work well and can be open with them about anything

Cons

the re brand of the company had provided some challenges but an overall needed choice for the growth of the company, definitely a move in the right direction.

"Overall Positive Experience at YouSendit"

Former Employee - Product Leader in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Product Leader in Campbell, CA

I worked at Hightail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

YouSendit, now Hightail builds and delivers a much needed technology product suite focused on collaboration with files. They have a hard to match set of functionality that included electronic signatures and very strong Microsoft Outlook integration. While the staff has changed considerably since I was there, the team was a strong enthusiastic one.

Cons

Since that time, Hightail has put a new executive team in place. Focus on market expansion by extending the product line has seemed to stall. Growth has slowed and they are in a much more competitive market with entrants like Google Drive.

Advice to Management

Return to growth strategy and focus less on traditional brand marketing.

"Very good company."

I have been working at Hightail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working environment is really nice,professional

Cons

Career advancement options are less

"Lots of house cleaning done, but still more to do"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer

I have been working at Hightail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of potential in both the technology and the industry. We've got great brand recognition and a good outlook.

Cons

The engineering org is a top-heavy. More time and energy needs to be spent strengthening existing technologies to support current and future capacity and features, rather than tacking new features on.

Advice to Management

Choose technical leaders based on skill and capacity rather than how they look on paper.

8. "Individual in a Crowded Space"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Management works hard to get to know every employee personally and to listen to your suggestions

Cons

Not a very clear career path in certain departments
    Crowded space. not always easy to differentiate yourself

9. "The truth about YouSendIt"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Hightail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brad Garlinghouse, on his own he is good enough reason to be at this company, he gets it, and gets it big time. We may not all agree with his changes but I am convinced he is doing them for the good of the company. This is a company that is taking the right steps forward and will get better and quickly. We are making the right moves and working here is becoming very enjoyable again. Free lunch mondays which most people like. Great transparency in the leadership, we are going to great places. Only last year I told people to not come here, now I would happily recommend anyone to come and work here.

Cons

Change, some of these I do not like, but I do not feel like the company is being run just to fulfill the whims of the exec staff. Many people will not like the changes, and they are free to move on in my opinion. There are some major technical issues and we are paying the heavy price for our former very poor leadership. Some of the execs are untouchable because they are Brad's guys, and make some very questionable decisions, including presenting complete works of fiction with the statement I never lie and this is the truth. As someone effected by these truths I knew for a fact that they were only true in the dreamland occupied by that particular exec.

Advice to Management

Some of the execs are not as good as they are believed to be, you need to step back and review their actions with a very independent eye.

Keep an open mind about where to relocate the office to, we do not need to be right next to the caltrain station as that is mostly residential.

10. "Overall, it was a good experience, although once my hiring manager left, I was moved into a different role."

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Campbell, CA

I worked at Hightail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good staff, interesting business plan, flexible work time.

Cons

Sales seems to be the decision maker as to what the company needs for IT, and no matter what the IT team recommends, if it is shiny and new, sales wants it, regardless of the potential impact to the company.

Advice to Management

Long range planning and sticking with a plan, instead of throwing a lot of ideas at a wall to see what sticks.