Highway Toll Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Highway Toll Administration Founder and CEO David Centner
David Centner

Pros
  • I have been working for HTA for just over 2 1/2 years (in 7 reviews)

• Management team does everything they can to make every employee happy and to make the work environment exciting (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • One downside is the extra/long hours that you must put in very often (in 3 reviews)

• poor management - lack of communication between departments (in 2 reviews)

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Vice President of Finance in Roslyn Heights, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President of Finance in Roslyn Heights, NY

I have been working at Highway Toll Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at HTA for 3 years. Company offers its employees many career advancement opportunities, educational assitance ($3K per year at any subject of choice of the employee) and a great learning environement. It also has good benefits. I see some reviews on Glassdoor against HTA that are really not honest. Yes, HTA can do even better but it deserve appreciation for all it does for its employees.

Cons

HTA is growing fast so it requires its workes to keep up with the fast pace environment. This is not a negative for me but may not be for people who like the routine work.

"The good Reviews are FAKE!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Neck, NY

I have been working at Highway Toll Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at HTA for a few years. I eventually resigned because I got a good opportunity. Let me start off by stating that the "good reviews" you read are all FAKE! The employees are forced to write these reviews in the event of an employee review and is often audited by the HR before it is allowed to be posted. The HR is pretty much a puppet in the hands of the management. Upper level senior positions are pretty much putty in the hands of the CEO and CFO. They have a choice : do what the management asks you to do, aka sell your soul to them, or you get fired. The middle jobs are mostly shipped off off shore at (obviously) lesser pay. The current employees are made to work really long hours with no OT ( FT employees do not get OT) and yes, they HAVE to stay late hours or you are not considered a team player and it will definitely lead to harassment/ forced resignation or even being fired for some lame reason. They will find some ammunition to get you out. It was never like this before. It used to be a healthy , fun environment until the current CFO took over. When I say "took over" she married the CEO and that is when the company got to this stage. Do not believe the nice things which people state. They are forced to do it. I was too....but I decided that I was not going to sell my soul and got out!
    P.S: Also, there were a few people ( who actually stayed loyal to the CEO prior to the new CFO on boarding) were fired for apparently no reason, except that they posed a threat to the new CFO.

Cons

There are no Pros! My advice to the employees/ future employees: do not get employed here. Unfortunately if you already are: get out!
    If there were any negative starts, I would give it!
    Most people there are in upper management positions in lieu of sucking up to the CEO and CFO. They have no qualifications to speak of.

Advice to Management

No advice. The management knows exactly what they are doing and has no conscience.

"Not what it seems!!! Fake people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Americus, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Americus, GA

Pros

Good pay, benefits, time off, only one lead person that was really sincere and great to work with, he was really nice! The work isn't bad at all.

Cons

If you have a family member with medical issues then you may have a problem!!! They pretend to be concerned. No 10 or 15 mins breaks. You get an hour for lunch which is broken into two 30 min intervals.

Advice to Management

Stop being fake with your employees!!! Mainly CS management!

"HTA IS AMAZING. I do not know why others want to tell lies on glassdoor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

I have been working for HTA for many years now. I am appalled by all the lies that I am reading on glassdoor. I can’t even believe that this slander is even allowed. I didn’t even know that this website existed. I have worked for many organizations in my life and HTA is by far the best company that I have ever worked for. Let me first start off by addressing the comments made about the COO. Since he came into position, he has implemented many amazing processes and procedures that we did not have before. He came from a very large organization that is worth billions of dollars and had over 1,000 people working for him. He has really shaped our IT organization to what it is today. Some people do not like the processes and procedures we have in place, but they are there for good reason. I, personally, have learned a tremendous amount from the COO and believe that he has shaped us into a world class IT organization who delivers projects with a high degree of speed and accuracy.
    I would like to further address the reviews directed towards our VP of IT. He is probably one of the sweetest guys I know. He is firm, but very kind as well. He has high expectations, but gives a lot at the same time. He is always there to mentor you and teach you. This is one of the things I love about HTA that there is so much to learn. Management is always accessible to you. Someone had commented about the VP acting like a Ninja. I have never seen him spy on anyone or look over their shoulder before and I sit very close to him. He usually walks around to see if anyone needs help or has any questions on their tasks. This makes him a great leader.
    The next person that I would like to address is the CEO. The CEO is probably one of the most humble guys I have ever met. Every time he comes into the NJ location, he is kind and warm, no matter how busy he is. He always stops to greet people warmly. Most CEOs that I have met don’t even look your way when they walk in the room.
    I also see glassdoor reviews about HR telling people to write reviews or they will get fired. I think this is absolutely absurd. The company asks people to write reviews, but they never tell you what to say nor do they require it. I was asked to write a review and their exact words were this “if you don’t mind, please share your honest feelings about HTA on glassdoor. If you do not want to, then we understand.”
    I understand why they ask people to write reviews because most of us who love HTA do not even know that glassdoor exists, so if they don’t ask people to write reviews, then all readers of the reviews would see are the mean, nasty lies of the few people who are unhappy at HTA. In fact, I am speculating that most of the bad reviews are written by a few people who were recently fired from HTA. Based on the lies they are writing, they seem to be out to get HTA. If they are still employed by HTA, then why don’t they get a job somewhere else if they are so unhappy? You know the saying that 1 unhappy customer will tell 100 people of their experience but the happy customer doesn’t tell anyone. I think the same applies in the work-place and that is why I am here to offer a different perspective. The truth.
    Finally, I want to address the most recent review made about the CFO. I think that review was written by an angry bitter person, who has a desire to lie for no apparently reason, other than to hurt HTA. The CFO has not fired one person that I know of. HTA doesn’t hire offshore employees to replace onshore employees, I know this for a fact. HTA has offshore IT guys, but they have not replaced one onshore employee. Furthermore, I don’t see the CFO in our NJ office often, but when I do see her, she is always smiling and joking with all of us who appear to like her very much. I know she has high expectations, but at the same time she seems to care a lot. I know that she leads a lot of charitable initiatives in the company and seems to be very giving. I do not know many CFOs who have travelled to Africa to support women’s empowerment programs. There’s a video of this on our company website.
    Lastly, I just want to say that HTA is really a great place to work. I think that the happiest people are the ones who truly care about HTA. The people who are slackers end up getting fired because HTA does a good job of holding people accountable. My best advice to anyone looking for a job at HTA is that if you deliver on your promises, you will do just great at HTA. HTA gives you all the tools that you need to succeed, but ultimately success is in your own hands. Speaking from many years of experience, this is definitely one of the best places I have ever worked.

Cons

There are very smart people at HTA so you have to step up your game, if you want to work for HTA.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"HTA, Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roslyn Heights, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roslyn Heights, NY

Pros

I saw one review that there is no pro in HTA. I don't agree. We have birthday celebrations, anniversary rewards, commuter program and many more.
    It has been a wonderful experience working in HTA. Yes, the CFO is strict in terms of keeping discipline and avoiding errors. On the other hand she created a very beautiful office with gym, games and other activities. Whenever we get a chance we go to the gym or play ping pong. recently we are having an inter-company Ping-Pong tournament. The environment at HTA is very sound. We have very caring and supporting staff
    We do have late sittings when we have any challenging assignment. In my opinion it's a common practice in the industry.

Cons

Communication between departments should be better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work!. Thanks for all care and support

"HTA gives you great exposure on latest technology and good culture!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Highway Toll Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have not seen any other CEO who is so down to earth and humble like Dave! The work culture at HTA is great and motivating!

It's great fun to work here and the entire management team is always approachable, highly knowledgeable and helpful. Company recognizes you for your time and effort. I can honestly say that my experience at HTA is wonderful and always have something new to learn from my managers and colleagues. There are a lot of opportunities for growth here if you have potential and ready to work hard. It’s a great place to learn and grow!

Cons

The company works on latest technologies in the market and is growing fast. So be ready to learn the latest stuff! Management and employees will help you and guide you for sure!!

Advice to Management

Keep growing in the fast track mode and keep up the on-going initiatives!

"Great, fun company to work for!"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Roslyn Heights, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Roslyn Heights, NY

I have been working at Highway Toll Administration (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for HTA has been such a wonderful journey! I have learned so much about myself, business, responsibility, loyalty, and the list goes on. I started here at a very young age and truly didn't think I'd still be here 10 years later, but the atmosphere at HTA is something uncommon in other businesses. The staff starts to feel like a family and so many friendships are made - even love relationships ;)
    We all work very hard to accomplish the day to day tasks, but we also know how to put a little bit of fun in the mix. We have games set up around the office - ping pong table, mini putting range and when we are feeling like we need a little pick-me-up, we'll throw in a game or two of Uno to get the minds flowing again. Competitions are a big thing here! We have an annual bowling party, Halloween contest party, awesome holiday parties that seem to get better each year, employee appreciation day BBQ in the summer, and even an annual ping pong tournament. (Feels good to be a champion) :) Prizes are given out to the winners of any competition. We also love birthdays and celebrate every employee's birthday with a desk decoration and cake. Gift cards are given out for birthdays and anniversaries, also :) They offer a lot of incentives to the employees such as health insurance, 401K, education assistance, 5 year anniversary award and 10 year anniversary award. Looking back on all my years here, it's truly hard to list everything awesome, because there's SO many, but I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy my time and experience at HTA. I can't tell you how much i have learned and grown during this time, but I look forward to learning even more!

Cons

Long hours for some employees!

Advice to Management

Great job, management. Always willing to help and listen to any questions, concerns or ideas.

"Amazing work place"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Roslyn Heights, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Roslyn Heights, NY

Pros

HTA is like my second family. Everyone is so supportive and caring. One of our core values are work strong, play long. We are a fast moving company who works hard but we also have a great time doing it.

Cons

I can't think of any. The company really works hard to take care of their people. I really enjoy my peers at HTA.

Advice to Management

Keep up all the quarterly events you have. We really enjoy them.

"Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

I have been working at HTA for more than 2 years and I can honestly say that my experience here is nothing short of wonderful. Since the day I joined, I always have something new to learn from my colleagues and from my managers. I have grown both personally and professionally since I joined. There are a lot of opportunities for growth here if you have potential. Management team does everything they can to make every employee happy and to make the work environment exciting

Cons

The business is pretty complicated and you need to really put a lot of effort initially to learn. But the employees and management are really supportive and give you guidance in anyway possible

Advice to Management

Let's continue to keep growing together and become leaders in everything we do.

"with some changes could be an amazing employer. But they aren't there yet!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Highway Toll Administration full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I left HTA in January 2016. I previously left a very negative review which I have since deleted. After being away from the company for a few months, I wanted to come back and leave a more accurate review.

First of all, immediately after submitting my resignation the CFO Leila Centner called me personally to discuss the reasons I was leaving the company and she had already implemented changes based on my feedback I provided when I submitted my resignation. This is something you don't see with many companies, taking feedback and making changes. Not many companies care when a Customer Service Rep quits, but at HTA an executive called me and spoke to me for over an hour, listening and allowing me to express my concerns. I actually accepted her offer to return to HTA after our discussion, only to be called the next day by Leila who told me "I made her look bad" because they read my emails and chats and thought I turned other employees against HTA. (I hardly talked to anyone at work via email or chat and rarely complained) everyone was interrogated after my departure and an intensive review of all chats and email conversations took place of current employees. Big brother is watching, listening, and moinitering every internal conversation to make sure no one speaks negatively about HTA.
    The CEO and CFO are amazing, caring people, but trouble brews from a husband and wife being first and second in charge, read on and I'll explain.

Cons

HTA is very innovative and recently started a work at home program for their Call center, allowing people in different parts of the country to be part of the team. The pay for work at home agents is extremely low and the company charges a 600.00 dollar deposit for the tools required to do the job. As a result of my feedback the company had reduced the amount of the deposit taken each pay period from 100 dollars to 50.00 dollars until the employee has paid $600.00 in total. I believe that instead of charging low paid employees a deposit on equipment that is needed to do their jobs, the company should offer a "bonus" of 250 to 300 dollars if an employee quits and returns equipment in good condition. Having to pay for the tools needed to do your job is borderline unethical. I noticed on a previous review the company President Jon Routledge indicated, "to claim that we have required employees to pay for the equipment they use at work are factually incorrect" I can assure you as a former Remote employee, HTA does charge for the equipment needed to do the job.
    HTA needs to understand that the way to attract and retain top talent is to pay a living wage. HTA pays remote agents 10 dollars an hour, recently bumping it up to 11 dollars an hour after numerous high value employees quit.
    HTA will ALWAYS respond to low pay complaints by saying " we review compensation annually to remain competitive"
    HTA should not try to be "competitive" they should try to be the best, and they will not only attract the best employees, but they will retain employees as well.
    Many reviewers have indicated HTA executives track websites and emails Etc. when I left the company, they tediously went through every email and chat conversation ever sent, pulling employees into meetings with HR that I had spoken to or was friends with to determine if they were "team players"
    The company uses the controversial H1B Visa program and brings people from India to the United States for the sole purpose of saving money on labor. They can't find people in the USA who need jobs? They need to bring people from India to the USA with the H1B visa program? It's all about paying people the absolute lowest pay possible, even if they have to bring people From Third world countries to pay the lowest salary possible. Greed, plain and simple.

Advice to Management

HTA is a very good company, and I honestly believe they do care deeply about their employees. But, it is not a perfect company by any means. Hopefully someone listens when so many employees leave due to low pay. Stop charging a deposit for equipment and instead offer a bonus to return equipment in good condition after leaving the company.
    Equipment depreciates and 600 dollars is way more than the cheap screen, headset and tiny CPU is worth, these are costs of doing business that should NOT be levied on already extremely low wages. The CEO and CFO are recently married. The CFO (the CEO's recent wife) controls the companies finances, this may be the broken link in HTA's executive team as other reviewers have indicated. When your wife controls the company finances, your going to nickle and dime your organization into the ground in order to pad your own wallet. Leila is a wonderful person, and should continue at HTA in the executive team, but NOT as CFO. Change up the Executive team! I think Leila would make an amazing Operations/service president/ Vice President (but not CFO that is where the greed and cheapness of the company is coming from)