Highway Toll Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Highway Toll Administration Founder and CEO David Centner
David Centner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Many employees have been working for HTA 5 years or more (in 9 reviews)

• They do their best to make every employee happy and to make the work environment exciting (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Even though there are days where you have to work long hours the company does recognize you for your time and effort (in 3 reviews)

• HTA is growing fast so it requires its workes to keep up with the fast pace environment (in 11 reviews)

"Challenging work and good opportunity for growth!"

I have been working at Highway Toll Administration full-time

Pros

HTA has been growing so quickly that there are always projects to be involved in which gives employees good opportunities to grow. The company is always looking to promote within for those who work hard and are ready for the next step in their career. The company invests in its employees by offering an education assistance program of $3,000 per employee per year and recently provided training with a professional coach. It is great working with such fun and caring people; we have great parties, contests and recognition programs.

Cons

Be ready to work hard and smart if you want to advance in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and offering development opportunities to employees!

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Highway Toll Administration full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are nice. Interview, hiring was easy. Equipement sent out fast. Company has good benefits. Aflac options. Scheduling was accommodating. Management easy to talk to. All supervisors and HR very easy to talk to. Awesome people cared about employees. Working at home is the biggest pro to this company. But not worth the money for the stress and aggravation.

Cons

Pay very low for the work involved. Angry customers all day, every day. Found an issue willing billing and told appropriate people. Nothing done. No one takes responsibility for mistakes. Many customers billed incorrectly. Did alot of refunds. Difficult to prove rental customers were at tolls. Rental agencies do not tell customers how toll billing works. Leaving us to explain the policy. Many people charged without knowing it was coming. If there is an escalated call.. No management to take it. Always left to csr to deal with the issue. Never enough time to investigate properly. No time to get back to customers. Too many emails to answer and no time to respond. No premade templates to respond to customers. Have to wing it on many things. No idea what your metrics are. No monthly meetings to improve.

Advice to Management

Pay more money. Gift cards are nice but $50 at Zappos is not enough. Listening is great, but follow through. Need more time to complete emails and investigations. Awesome people.. Everyone is. Great relaxed place, but work is fast and stressful, need more training and tools to do the job. Hard to find information as things are unorganized. Call time needs to be longer to explain why they are being charged, as the rental agencies never tell customers what tolls are about. Or they will be charged. I would be furious to get billed every month for 6 months and not know its coming. Especially when my vacation was 9 months ago. This needs fixed.

"Great company with great opportunities"

I have been working at Highway Toll Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve been working for HTA for over three years and could not be more pleased with the people I work with and the opportunities I have gotten over the years. I can’t imagine coming into a company and being able to learn so much over the years by getting the opportunities to work with different technology and on different projects. In my previous companies, I had to spend 2-3 years doing the same old repetitive low-level IT work before I would actually start being included in bigger initiatives and projects. I also like that management listens to my input when I bring new ideas for improvements, I feel like everyone has an opportunity to get heard and contribute, regardless of your position.

Cons

Sometimes there are late nights when issues happen or during maintenance events, but that should be no surprise for anyone working in the IT field. The company does plenty to compensate with dinners, comp days and even hotel accommodations for long maintenance events. So, I don’t even consider this as a con, more of a par for the course when working in IT.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Vice President of Finance in Roslyn Heights, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President of Finance in Roslyn Heights, NY

Pros

I have worked at HTA for 3 years. Company offers its employees many career advancement opportunities, educational assitance ($3K per year at any subject of choice of the employee) and a great learning environement. It also has good benefits. I see some reviews on Glassdoor against HTA that are really not honest. Yes, HTA can do even better but it deserve appreciation for all it does for its employees.

Cons

HTA is growing fast so it requires its workes to keep up with the fast pace environment. This is not a negative for me but may not be for people who like the routine work.

"Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roslyn Heights, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roslyn Heights, NY

I have been working at Highway Toll Administration full-time

Pros

In the time that I have been at HTA, I have seen the company go through some pretty big changes. I think that for a company to be successful, these changes are mandatory. Not to put down anyone’s opinions from other reviews, but generally, those who end up not succeeding are the same ones that are resistant to change.

HTA went from an environment which lacked structure, which allowed those who wanted to do the bare minimum to slide by while others who worked hard may not have been noticed, to one where accountability is key. From my experience, everyone was happier during this time because it was difficult to do wrong. As the company grew and new additions to the team were made, HTA had to become stricter in enforcing policies. Having the same lackadaisical mindset would only cause HTA to slow its growth or even fail, and I feel that when the mindset started to change, those who were skating by had a choice to make.

Those who were willing to adapt to the changes are still here. As a previous reviewer mentioned, there are many people within the company who have been here for 5+ years. The hours are not always consistent, and for the most part, a 9-5 environment is not what can be found within HTA, but the benefits that are offered to each employee far outweighs any of the disadvantages.

Just to list a few:
    • Tuition Reimbursement of up to $3,000 per year, which is great for anyone trying to start or finish school.
    • Somewhat flexible hours, it really depends on the department you are in
    • A huge amount of employee events, most of which are found on the company website
    • And most importantly, the ability to grow within the company.

Most operational departments to my knowledge, have a supervisory or management team that is made up of people that started in one of the entry level positions. This piece of information is key to the experience that someone will have when they work here, mainly because it can’t be said that management doesn’t understand the difficulty of a job. If someone comes in with the intentions to fly under the radar, it will be difficult to enjoy your time at HTA because you will be held to the same standards at those before you. While this may seem like it would be difficult for anyone to succeed, the fact that the leadership has experienced it, they also understand the learning curve that might follow the job.

I do appreciate the level of effort that is shown by the executive team in making their employees happy, but like everything else, not everyone will be. Whether it is the company events or the office amenities, everything does come at a price, which is simply to do the best you can at the job you have. If you are struggling with that, they are always there to assist or provide guidance. Even though there is a hierarchy in place between the executive team and other employees, HTA was a company that was built on free flowing communication between everyone, an ideal that has always remained and will probably always be there. I appreciate the relationship that I have with my superiors, a relationship that is not possible in other companies.

Cons

The only con that is worth mentioning, is the way in which the staffing of most departments is played very close to the chest. For the majority of the time, this does not have a large impact, but on occasion should something pop up with a high enough priority, it can cause a disruption from others workloads.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees

"Good Company - Great Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

1. Great benefits such as Friday breakfasts, ping-pong tournaments, cinqo de mayo and happy hours.
    2. Terrific opportunities if you are a career-minded person.
    3. Ability to learn and be involved with new technologies and processes.
    4. Ability to move to other departments if you have the aptitude and drive. There are constantly opportunities coming up for openings in other departments.
    5. Fast-growing company. Work hard and opportunities will come your way.
    6. Hard work is rewarded.
    7. Sense of satisfaction from accomplishments at the end of the day.
    8. Awesome parties and celebrations when you deliver products.
    9. New products such as mobile apps that anyone can be a part of.
    10. Outstanding diversity and balance.
    11. Smart, empathetic, senior leadership.
    12. Down to earth, friendly CEO.

You really won't like it here if don't like a fast-paced environment, or if you find it hard to keep up with the exciting opportunities. However for anyone who likes a small, innovative, high-speed company environment that constantly challenges you to perform at a high-level, this place is for you. When you look around and see so many smart employees in all departments, you know you have made the right choices to work. This is why there are so many new smart employees who have joined the company this past year.

Cons

This isn't a con but I have to state it.

If you can't keep up with the brilliant people around you, you will not like it here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the formula that you have to run a good company. Share more of your vision so everyone can march towards one vision. Continue innovation and continue to hire the best of the best.

""One of the best mid size company in NY/NJ area""

I have been working at Highway Toll Administration full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly passionate workplace where the office feels more like a family than co-workers. Everyone in the office has a lot to contribute to every projects, which leads to innovation. We could execute most of the projects on time with a lot of fun. Great work place to be!

Cons

Nothing major comes to mind.

Advice to Management

Rock on! continue develop innovating mobility services and roll out all over the world.

"A great company to work for!!!"

I have been working at Highway Toll Administration full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HTA is a fast moving company and grows sustainably. Many employees have been working for HTA 5 years or more. I don’t think it is necessary for HTA to force employees to write good reviews for the company as HTA is a great working place and has no reason to force employees to write good reviews on the company.

Dave and Leila are so kind and generous to communities as well as to their employees.
    They do their best to make every employee happy and to make the work environment exciting.

I think those who left and badmouthed HTA's executives are losers. They lost twice. First, they lost their opportunities to work for a great company like HTA. Second, it is difficult for them to get a new job or succeed in their new jobs when they keep badmouthing their former employer as other companies are less likely to hire them for fearing that these job seekers will badmouth their new boss in the future.

One of my former colleagues, after got a new job opportunity, sent sms to other colleagues to badmouth about HTA and urged them to leave with him. It was also him who sent email to an HTA executive after that for a second chance to work at HTA again.

My advice to my former colleagues: "Stay professional and keep HTA respectful".
    If you feel you are treated in an unfair manner and you can't converse with your direct supervisor, you can escalate to either HR, or your higher management or even to the company's executives. They will listen to your voice. If you feel your job at a company is not suitable for you, just leave happily because who knows that your former bosses or colleagues may be your customers in the future. Badmouthing and hatred for your former employer will not only make you feel unhappy and suffer more but also create a lot of potential bad lucks for you in your future career. Think twice before badmouthing your former bosses.

Cons

Sometimes you are expected to work long hours.

Advice to Management

The company's working environment has been improved day by day. Keep the growth and continue to do good things to your communities as well as employees. A smarter working process needs to be developed in order to cut extra working hours of manual tasks.

"Friendly and warm environment."

Pros

1. People are very nice, everyone is always willing to help and support. Company carries very strong culture of mutual support and positive attitude.
    2. Management appreciates great ideas from employees and always encourages everyone to express themselves and be creative at everything they do.
    3. Company is expanding rapidly, and there is always an opportunity for professional growth within all the departments
    4. Company provides education expense program to encourage employees to keep learning

Cons

There are occasions when work late is necessary.

"Avoid this company like the plague!"

Pros

The only pros were being able to work from home and the equipment was provided.
    The cons outweigh the pros by a land slide.

Cons

They take complete advantage of their employees, work is unbearable with constant angry callers back to back and all you can do is follow the "script" while customers are being ripped off!
    No work/home balance life at all, salary is insulting, training is an absolute joke and management are an absolute embarrassment.
    There are plenty of other honest and decent companies out there, don't settle for this disgusting company.