Hill+Knowlton Strategies Reviews | Glassdoor

Hill+Knowlton Strategies Global Chairman and CEO Jack Martin
Jack Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Directors expect you to have no work life balance" (in 29 reviews)

• "long hours where working overtime is the norm and expected" (in 26 reviews)

1. "Great company"

I have been working at Hill+Knowlton Strategies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and able to gain lots of experience

Cons

Fast paced, can be hard to catch up sometimes

2. "Alright"

Pros

The people are nice, office leaders care about employees

Cons

Overall, the company can be disorganized

3. "Benefits rock, culture doesn't"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hill+Knowlton Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+benefits, +people, +access to training,

Cons

+below avg pay, +too political, +high turnover

4. "Fellow"

Former Employee - Fellow
    Former Employee - Fellow

I worked at Hill+Knowlton Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing co-workers, great learning-curve, awesome clients and benefits. You can go in not knowing much about PR and come out with so much experience and knowledge.

Cons

Upper management, "People leader" as they call it, is completely disorganized and out for his/her self. The lack of communication towards the end was completely unprofessional. After five months of preforming with great review, upper leadership didn't let me know I wouldn't be hired on until two weeks before contract ended. Basically the entire office just sets their day around the mood of the leader, Since there was no HR within the office there was a huge lack of communication and no one to keep things professional.

Advice to Management

Actually talk to your employees. Do not act like it is a casual communicative environment at first if you will pretend your employees do not exist after a few months.

5. "Principal"

Current Employee - Principal in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hill+Knowlton Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I've recently just joined H+K in their Houston office, I already feel at home. The people are absolutely fantastic - from my recruiting experience with Angela Anderson - to being brought on full-time to the energy and industrial team - I absolutely love it. The work/life balance is fantastic. The benefits rival even the most competitive corporations I've been with in the past. This was undoubtedly a good move for me both personally and professionally.

Cons

I do not love the We Work office space as there's very little privacy.

6. "Great Firm"

I have been working at Hill+Knowlton Strategies full-time

Pros

Great offices, collaborative atmosphere, supportive staff, and opportunities to excel.

Cons

Internal communications could improve

7. "manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Coral Gables, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at Hill+Knowlton Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients, projects, benefits and salaries and recognition. If you are competent, loyal and want a career in communications there is no other place to work. Management team is the best in the business and is totally invested is teaching and supporting the right talent.

Cons

It not for those who want to coast or who are looking for a nine to five job in a communications field that is constant.

Advice to Management

There needs to better recruiting ...H+K deserves top talent and superstars for the best client service.

8. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hill+Knowlton Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wide variety of clients, opportunity to learn

Cons

Agency pay is low (like all agencies), work with teams not in your office sometimes results in communication breakdowns

"DO NOT WORK AT MIAMI OFFICE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Hill+Knowlton Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You get the name of a major firm on your business card. H+K seems like an excellent company to work for outside of the Miami office as well.
    -Job security in the Miami office is good because so many employees leave that they really can't afford to fire people.

Cons

-Hours are extremely rigid and incredibly long. You're kept late into the night regularly with no warning at the whim of the President of the office.
    -You feel constantly under attack. Stress levels are incredibly high and the office environment is toxic. Management of the office is constantly hunting for reasons to find fault in employees and shows zero trust.
    -Hard work is demanded and not appreciated. Employees are constantly told that their efforts are not enough. Major wins may receive a day of a respite from this at most and will be immediately forgotten following even a perceived minor mistake.
    -Corporate H+K offers a number of excellent work/life balance benefits but most are completely disregarded. Taking advantage of corporate's generous vacation policy is like pulling teeth and employees are essentially punished with extra work and admonishment upon returning.
    -Pretty much everyone who current works or has worked there is unhappy. Morale is low and turnover is high.
    -When it comes to the work, aside from traditional media relations, the office is set in the past and miles behind the capabilities of what you would expect from a Hill+Knowlton office. It is very frustrating as an employee to know that your office is not serving its clients well--and sometimes actively deceiving them.
    -You will be outright lied to over and over again during your interview process and sold a bill of goods about the office environment and work expectations.

Advice to Management

All employee requests to make things better go disregarded at best and can even make things worse at worst, so providing advice to management of this office would be a fool's errand. I would advise Corporate H+K to come in from above, speak to employees and take some action based on their feedback.

10. "Fellow"

Current Employee - Fellow
    Current Employee - Fellow

I have been working at Hill+Knowlton Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Management wants to see employees succeed.
    - There are so many opportunities for growth & learning.
    - My co-workers are fabulous and very welcoming.

Cons

- Work can be time consuming, but you do get rewards for working hard.