Hill-Rom Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hill-Rom President, CEO, and Director John J. Greisch
John J. Greisch

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance, disconnect from upper management with reality of day to day operational challenges (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management was not the best (in 10 reviews)

"Rental Order Management"

Former Employee - Rental Order Management in Batesville, IN
    Former Employee - Rental Order Management in Batesville, IN

I worked at Hill-Rom (More than a year)

Pros

This was a nice place to work. They have a lot of quality people. I loved working directly with certain reps.

Cons

They tend to "re-organize" about every 6 months and that means lay-offs galore. It's sad to see people yiubwork with get that bad news. It's also stressful wondering when it will be your turn.

2. "Excellent Company to Work For!"

Former Employee - Contract Adminsrator in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Contract Adminsrator in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really loved working there -- not only are they a company in business to make money, but they have a "bigger purpose" in that their products help keep people alive! That is an AWESOME environment in which to work!
    On my team, I was treated with respect, and "as an adult" (I was told what was expected of me, then I was trusted to get it done),
    There was some freedom in my position in that my management team did not have a "butts-in-the-chair" mentality as long as I got my work done timely.
    I came into the company as a six-month temp. They wanted to hire me on, but there was a hiring freeze, so they simply kept extending my temp status, and I was finally hired after 15 months of temping.

Cons

Unfortunately, after seven months, my position was eliminated.
    I was not pointed in the direction of other positions in the company; however, when I searched on my own, there were no positions that matched my skill set.

"Great people Great Products hard Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batesville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batesville, IN

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great and loving people that care about the product.Everyone works for the patients and making it easier for the nurses and Doctors.

Cons

Turnover is high from entry level to Director level. Managers can be really strong and good or lack the manager skill. Depends on who to VP is and what department as well.

Advice to Management

Do not push out good staff members and remember to be open minded about certain things. If you put your blinders on people will leave. Take care of the staff and do not burn them out.

5. "Really good place to work"

Former Employee - Plater in Batesville, IN
    Former Employee - Plater in Batesville, IN

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company was really great to work for. I was there altogether 9 years. The pay is great, the people are awesome, the company treats their people really well I think.

Cons

The con for me was the drive. If you're looking to move up in the company, try to do it as soon as you come into the company. After time of being there, I think personally you're overlooked. But maybe I didn't try hard enough.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We understand that you have techs and engineers for that, but the employees voice should count. I loved my job, worked hard for the company, but it just seemed if you asked for suggestions, you were still overlooked and not heard. I believe listening to the employees is a great advantage in helping a company succeed.

6. "Love It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Hill-Rom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Superior products, broad portfolio, AMAZING coworkers,

Cons

Want things completed faster at times, but who doesn't?

"3.5 Stars - A lot of Good Managers Some Really Bad"

Former Employee - Manager in Batesville, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Batesville, IN

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Company and Benefits
    - Some of the best people you could want to work with and for
    - Great opportunity to earn an above average Salary and grow

Cons

- Things are changing as they always do, becoming less of "the great company with great benefits" and more of the "we are benchmarking companies in the industry and this is what they provide so we are offering less"
    - There are some REALLY Poor Myopic Old School 1980's Management Style Managers in Upper Director/V.P. Level Positions - I mean really bad. Hard to believe they still exist. Seriously, it is a bit like going into a museum of out-of-date management styles that have long been deemed ineffective and you just marvel that they still exist. If you happen to fall within the downstream of one of these managers, well I am sorry, I found it painful. For most of my time I did not, I had a great manager, but for the last part of my time I fell under one of these 1980's style manager and I couldn't quit fast enough - and this was no small gig, this was a near six figure gig and I had been there for 3.5 years, really knew my job and was knocking it out of the park (4 out of 5 on my last annual review). The new manager I was aligned to after a restructuring was that bad - bad enough for me to leave the above describe. In addition, before quitting I approached H.R. about the manager, truth be told H.R. was a bit of a joke going through motions culminating with them saying "Well, we allow our managers to run their business the way they see fit" Even eluding to the fact they did not agree with the manager, but just kind of shrugged their shoulders.

Advice to Management

You have some really great upper level managers, Directors, & V.P.s., but some that are just extremely bad. I know they "work hard" and have "proven" themselves during their tenure at Hill-Rom or at an Eli Lilly before coming over, but you just can't keep these old school fear/pressure managers around in this competitive environment where valued employees today just aren't motivated by ridiculous old school tactics, they won't put up with them and will leave. Some of the managers honestly belong in a museum, or they could go on a speaking circuit at universities to teach the yester-years section of a management class so the class can see where we've been and what didn't/doesn't work - they should under no believable or arguable explanation still be managing within your organization.

8. "Its nice here"

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Hill-Rom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology, the company will bring in food for various reasons, among them just to keep moral at a already high level.

Cons

This is a LARGE company, the human resources protocol and politics operates as such. It has its positives and gegitives.

9. "SmartCare Services"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Hill-Rom (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great way to get your teeth sharp in medical sales.

Cons

Low salary, some leadership are detached.

Advice to Management

Better pay

"Stable"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Batesville, IN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Batesville, IN

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable and good company, with some very good Directors. Great 401K and decent health benefits. On site cafe has great food and great options in a small town.

Cons

Uncertainty about long term viability in Batesville. Seem to only be worried about developing their new hires and not their talent that came from elsewhere.

Advice to Management

To not only give opportunities to new hires.

11. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Hill-Rom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training
    Positive environment
    Great team support and resources

Cons

Can't think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work