Hill & Wilkinson General Contractors Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 19, 2019

5.0
Paul Driscoll

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Hill & Wilkinson General Contractors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone treats you like family and leadership truly cares about its employees.

Cons

I don’t see any cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Best Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Hill & Wilkinson General Contractors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is apparent that the company truly values their employees. I've never worked for a company that took as good of care of their employees.

Cons

There is no downside to working here.

3. "You are valued."

Current Employee - General Laborer
    Current Employee - General Laborer

I have been working at Hill & Wilkinson General Contractors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, unlimited growth potential, great on site/ off site training, personal safety and well-being is a huge value

Cons

I have none. H&W is a great company.

4. "Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Hill & Wilkinson General Contractors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working at Hill & Wilkinson. The culture is amazing and they try their best to take care of their employees!

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

"Supportive, Considerate, Driven"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Hill & Wilkinson General Contractors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been employed at Hill & Wilkinson for 8+ years and can sincerely say it is a great place to work. Whether through on the job training or formal education, from day one H&W has encouraged me to better myself while affording me the opportunities to do so. Not unlike many people, I have experienced life related hardships and struggles. The H&W folks have always been sensitive to the needs of my family and among the first to offer help. Hill & Wilkinson takes a lot of pride in not only constructing great relationships with clients but employees as well. So much so, that they have a "Fun Committee" dedicated to serving the employees. Whether through various training classes, community volunteer events, or a social gathering at the office Culture Center, there are many ways to say connected and be involved.

Cons

* As with most construction companies there is a divide between the office and the field. Each having benefits not as easily obtained by the other.. A gap not easily bridged.
    * Hill & Wilkinson has higher expectations for employees than many other firms of comparable stature. Each level of employment is groomed to understand more than just the requirements that fall in line with their job title. At times this creates heavier work loads and higher stress levels, but gains employees valuable experience and knowledge. Can be considered a pro and/or con.

Advice to Management

*Regardless of how large the company grows, do not loose the "small company" mentality. This is a humbling attribute that separates Hill & Wilkinson from others.

*Continue to be in tune with the needs of your employees and the aspirations of their future.

6. "Great, family-like atmosphere"

Pros

work-life balance, great incentives, leaders that invest in employees

Cons

Not much room for growth or cross training.

"I didn't know I could have so much fun at work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Pros

The leadership group here really cares deeply about the employees and makes every effort to do what they say they will do. There is a casual, flexible atmosphere that allows everyone to take care of their business on their own terms without being micro-managed. We all work very hard and then take time to celebrate regularly, let loose and have some fun. Our relationships with our clients and subcontractors are top notch and built on respect first and foremost.

Cons

If I had to pick something, I would say the benefits aren't the best. There's a separation that happens between the field and the office, but I think every construction firm probably struggles with that.