Hill's Pet Nutrition Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Peter Brons-Poulsen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Management is not listening (in 7 reviews)

• No real work-life balance in a lot of departments (in 4 reviews)

1. "Experienced Employee"

Current Employee - Business Account Manager
    Current Employee - Business Account Manager

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hill's has real integrity and believes in what they do. Great people and competitive wages.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a while to fill open positions

"Territory Management"

Former Employee - Territory Manager Pet Channel in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager Pet Channel in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a subsidiary of Colgate; great benefits.

Company car (pay $200 a month for it, no opt out option)

All expenses paid when traveling (but they make you itemize every cent in an antiquated expense system.)

You get to keep hotel points (I'm trying, ok)

Excellent product and mission

Great job if you're single and have no attachments. Otherwise... there are plenty of other companies to work for.

Cons

No accountability to management so you can try to get away with anything, but so can your bosses.

Too much overnight travel

Bad for families

Bad for veterans (miserable treatment and disrespect if anyone finds out you're a veteran. They'll treat you like some knuckle dragging-meatheaded brute. Just because we spent our youth in the dirt and brass while they were in college; they look down on us. None of the leadership has any time in service)

Mandatory relocation if you want a promotion

The company has no clue how to manage or market their brand and they ask for help from the team but implement nothing new.

High turnover. A lot of people quit this job because of abusive leadership. I saw 6 people leave in my short time here. These are great paying career level jobs that people walked away from because they were being treated so poorly.

Don't work here if you love your spouse and children. You'll barely see them. If you hate your family, sign up and you'll be in good company.

Advice to Management

Review your district managers for territory manager turnover and hold them accountable for it. If a DM has continuously high turnover, how much money do you think they wasted on training and supplies for the company? How can you explain that to shareholders?

How good can a leader be if they can't even lead a team to stay more than 2 years with the company?

I can tell you right now, more letters of resignation are coming.

3. "Operations Intern"

Pros

Great projects, kind and genuine people, gained valuable experience

Cons

Not an ideal location. About 80 minutes from Indy

4. "Engaging and meaningful work, great work-life balance, competitive salary and good benefits"

Current Employee - Manager in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Manager in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Engaging and meaningful work, great work-life balance, competitive salary and good benefits.
    If you care at all about pets, this is a spectacular place to work. The core of the work focuses on delivering products that have positive impact on the lives of pets. For the most part, I enjoy the people I work with and have found that the company is not a difficult one to succeed and grow in. And there are always pets around (I wish more people would bring their pets to work!). Hill's is part of the Colgate-Palmolive family which means we get the added benefits of being part of a Fortune 500 company while still having the feel of a smaller organization. The surrounding area offers great places to live (easy commute from outside of Topeka) with very reasonable cost of living and Kansas is a spectacular place for anyone that enjoys being outdoors.

Cons

Need more employees to meet objectives, long-term employees show resistance to change.
    No company is perfect and for me the positives of Hill's far outweigh the negatives, but I find that we don't do a great job of recruiting people into the company. For some reason, we fall short on selling how great we are to potential employees. Therefore, we're always short a few people and it takes too long to refill open positions.
    We also have a lot of people that have been here a long time and are resistant to change (pretty sure that's a common issue all over the business world).

Advice to Management

I've seen a significant change in management during my time here and the new regime is setting a good example. They need to continue to lead by example and make bold decisions. I would also like to see people held accountable for bad behavior--I've seen this done in meetings at the highest levels in a way that is diplomatic and respectful, but I feel that we're completely lacking it in the middle management space.
    Don't be afraid to invest to recruit good talent! When positions go unfilled (or are filled with someone not right for the role), it taxes the other members of the group that are trying to keep up with the work and not let anything fall off the radar.

5. "Great Company!"

I worked at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, very knowledgeable workforce. A fantastic pet loving, high quality, passionate, caring company. " I will always feed my dogs & cats Science Diet or Prescription Diet products."Simply the best!

Cons

Technologically slow....in such times as we are living technology should be the #1 priority. In marketing, distribution, research, product development, or sales information is 'always' king. They are just not moving as fast as I think they should, nor are there enough opportunities to advance. Most good employees are hindered to advance or gain pay increases because of the 5 performance gates for which all are evaluated on and kept within until calibration occurs. Outside an act of GOD or reinventing pet food very few can move either laterally or upward. Hense the reason many don't stay but 2-5 yrs. Rewards programs do not seem fair for all and seem staged for fast movers etc. Some directors never put their employees up for recognition. So wishy washy at times. Glad I dont have to deal with these petty small time problems. They just dont have enough good managers, team leaders, or project managers throughout the company to keep everything moving at an accelerated needed pace. I think the 2 day work from home or flex hrs are a joke and are taken advantage of by many managers and the rank and file... office allocation, dont get me started...Ha!

Advice to Management

Be more involved, get to know employees. Management should be walking the halls interacting, surprising employees, having coffee with them, smiling. I'd been there more than 10 yrs and before I left earlier this year...I thought... hey this is getting better.
     Alot of the dinosaurs are being moving out to pasture and with a new generation taking leadership roles the atmosphere is changing slowly. This company is a powerhouse of knowledge and expertise and will continue if they stay ahead of the competition which is consistently nipping and chewing market share. Not many company's have as powerful brands as Science Diet & Prescription Diet. A lot of changes are taking place in the pet food market over the next 5-10 years, domestically and internationally, and wish them all the best of luck as I am.. off to other adventures. :)

6. "nice employer"

Former Employee - Manager in Netherlands, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Netherlands, MO

I worked at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

passionate environment
    good work life balance
    lot's of opportunities

Cons

part of a bigger structure
    changes can be somewhat slow

Advice to Management

none

"Great place to work"

I worked at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time

Pros

Salary, benefits, comprehensive training, great coworkers

Cons

no room to move up without a degree

8. "Great!"

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time

Pros

Great company to work with so far

Cons

Located in topeka ks, which is far

9. "Animal Care Technician"

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time

Pros

working with the animals is uplifting. the facility is well designed to create pseudo home environment for all of the animals. No tiny micro cages. These animals are loved and well cared for.

Cons

very labor intensive, few opportunities for advancement within the Pet Nutrition Center, very conservative in their approach to new ideas

Advice to Management

listen to the needs as expressed by the employees at the PNC. Requests for improvements in efficiency and reduced injury are rarely heard and or acted upon.

"Good company, going downhill fast. Went from highly competitive to below average compensation."

Current Employee - C&S in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - C&S in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Hill's Pet Nutrition full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid time off, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Dysfunctional team work, Broken pay for performance system, Disconnected unappreciative management, does not practice core values, no follow up/ follow through on opportunities, not enough people to complete objectives properly. Does not share the wealth with front line workers, management jumps to conclusions without gathering facts, no clear responsible party on projects, too many meetings, meeting that accomplish nothing, constantly missing opportunities to save money and prevent waste. terrible communication, varying rules, constantly changing policies, jobs are filled based on politics.

Advice to Management

Stop using Hills as a training ground for Colgate greenhorns. Pay for performance system creates internal conflicts of interest. Be transparent and honest. Stop changing polices/rules to suit certain individuals. Require management to be on a job more than two years before moving. Allow time to train incoming management on position before allowing current manager to move to help retain in process achievements and continue to drive the company forward without losing ground.