Hills Bank & Trust Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Dwight Seegmiller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Local Bank!"

Pros

This bank was one of the best financial institutions I've been at. Everyone there really cared about you and wanted to help whenever they can. I was a full time student so they were understanding when it came to scheduling around classes. Training was detailed and the department that runs that is available everyday for any employee to call if they had questions about how to do things correctly. It's a bank with very good communication within their many branches and they encourage growth throughout the company. They really care about the service they provide to the community! They're also involved with local charities. For employees, there are random employee appreciation gifts. I felt like part of a family.

Cons

I'd hate for this to be the con but I got over because I enjoyed being at the company so much. I thought that I could be paid a little more given that I had more experience with a background from other financial institutions.

Advice to Management

None, there's a really awesome chain of command and the employees RESPECT their supervisors.

2. "not a place for growth"

Former Employee - Teller in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Teller in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Hills Bank & Trust Co. (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, friendly people

Cons

growth within the company is hard to achieve, don't help with trying to accomplish goals.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Teller in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Teller in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Hills Bank & Trust Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and customers were mostly decent people. Reasonably good benefits. Paid holidays.

Cons

Worst management I've ever encountered. Upper management is chummy, friendly, and alienating towards new hires. Supervisors use their positions as leverage over lower-tier employees. Heavily conservative (socially and politically); minimally diverse, with zero privacy, and supervisors made sure that everyone knew when someone had done something wrong (humiliation, passive aggression, and endless gossip about previous and current employees was the norm).

The pay is terrible. For what employees do, they are paid next to nothing. The sales incentive program is nonsense. Full time employees must sell three items per quarter to qualify for a minuscule bonus.

The only way someone can advance in this company is if they have longevity. Talent, skill, and experience count for nothing; if you've been with the company for years, then you will benefit. If not, you will stay where you are.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Behave like the professionals you claim to be. Hold yourself to the same standards as you hold your employees.
    When customers behave in unacceptable ways (harassing employees; being racist and sexist) hold them accountable.

4. "Great work environment"

Pros

They have good judgement of character- all coworkers are really nice and easy to get along with. I enjoy going to work each day.

Cons

Hard to complete quarter-end bonuses. Hills originally wasn't a commission-based bank, but recently started pushing referrals for a "bonus". This proves to be difficult because Hills has been around for awhile and already has loyal customers.

5. "They don't really care about you"

Pros

They pay you.
    The people are awesome.

Cons

They don't pay you a lot.
    Everyone is underpaid.
    Employees don't believe they matter.
    You can get better pay and benefits anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Make your employees think they matter more.

"Not worth the pay"

Current Employee - Teller in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Teller in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Basic hours, benefits, location, some co-workers

Cons

Catty drama where employees don't get paid enough. A lot of favoritism towards people and very clicky. You are told you will work 1 out of 4 saturdays and end up working all of them unless you ask for one off.

7. "Banker"

Current Employee - Banker in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Banker in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Hills Bank & Trust Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, culture, career growth potential, local bank

Cons

The pay could be better compared to other financial institutions

Advice to Management

Increase pay to retain good employees

8. "Teller"

Pros

All co-workers are very nice.

Cons

Everything was good except for the lunch time was short.

"Great if this is the only job you ever will want"

Former Employee - Teller in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Teller in Coralville, IA

I worked at Hills Bank & Trust Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you meet can easily become friends for life. Some of my closest friends came from Hills Bank, and I am eternally grateful for that. They also pay their part-time employees very well. A great place to work while going to school.

Cons

The reason you create such good relationship with your coworkers, is because you all have something in common: you are all going through the ridiculous tasks customers and management is making you do. I understand customer service is important, but when I have been drilled to do something a certain way, and you tell a customer no, they freak out. After that, those customers go and complain to management saying "this is the last time we will do this for you" (but it never is). These are then the people who will be "grading" you on your performance which effects everyone's pay raises and bonuses.
    Hills also will not write you recommendation letters or provide referrals once you are prepared to get a job in the real world. Getting a degree then going to work at Hills is completely irrelevant, because to them the amount of time you have been there is better than your knowledge on how things actually are suppose to work. They claim they won't write references because "they don't want to lose good employees", but they don't treat their good employees good at all. But why would you stay when you walk in there with a finance or accounting degree and they would say "okay you can be a teller and have to work your way up".

I think there is a chance that every teller supervisor (that I have at least encountered) have some form of a mood disorder. You never know what supervisor you are encountering when you walk into the office that day. Even though hard workers will leave a branch because of a certain teller supervisor (and many of them have at the NL Zeller Branch and the CV branch) they won't do anything about it.

Advice to Management

Remember that STUDENTS full-time job is being a student, and respect that fact. Don't try and con them into working 30+ hours and never giving them time off during finals. Also, please remember that treating your tellers well is sometimes more important than making a customer happy. That's probably why you have so much turnover, and no one wanting to work their way up.

"Managers need an upgrade"

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Hills Bank & Trust Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers were wonderful. The company events are okay also. The benefits and hours were okay along with hardly any weekends.

Cons

The managers on a particular department were not up to par. They picked favorites and never liked to help out employees. Instead they chatted amongst themselves about non work related topics not to mention not to mention always talking/texting on their cell phones during busy times.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff and help them when you know they are busy! When you don't you get reviews like this one. Don't pick favorites and let it be known to the entire staff either. It really makes it a hard place to work.