Hillshire Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Pay, benefits, and good people (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, get paid every week (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Again, no regard for work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is disorganized and completely Ignorant to the things around them most of them have no idea what is happening on a day to day basis (in 8 reviews)

1. "operator 3"

Former Employee - Operator III in Zeeland, MI
    Former Employee - Operator III in Zeeland, MI

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the job was easy to learn, pay rate was good, benefits were good, paid holidays & vacation time, caring health staff.

Cons

attendance was based on a point system, supervisor played favorites, certain employee's behavior was overlooked based on race, line attentdants would single out certain employees

Advice to Management

treat all employees equally

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Category Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hillshire Brands (More than 3 years)

Pros

Former Sara Lee Corp. It was great people, location, CEO was great.

Cons

After 18 months of divestitures, reorgs, the change ran down morale.

A few attitudes within marketing. But most of those people left.

3. "Great Place to work at!"

Former Employee - Security Department in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Security Department in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has good benefits and extra incentives.

Cons

Seniority employees take advantage of having this privilege. They don't work as hard as new employees.

Advice to Management

They should take a look at their long term employees. Double check their workload to make sure they are doing as much work as they say they are doing. Especially the office and other executive offices....Listen to the new employees and utilize their new ideas, instead of always using the same ideas....

5. "Under appreciated, under paid & felt discriminated against. Too much favoritism"

Former Employee - Fryer Operator in Haltom City, TX
    Former Employee - Fryer Operator in Haltom City, TX

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to my residence and the schedule was good. Comfortable working environment

Cons

Favoritism, discrimination, under appreciated, unfair, better pay, more hr managers

Advice to Management

Need a better mix of ethnicity, job progression isn't fair

6. "Tyson Foods formerly Hillshire Brands"

Former Employee - Sanitation in Haltom City, TX
    Former Employee - Sanitation in Haltom City, TX

I worked at Hillshire Brands (More than a year)

Pros

Provided safe work environment, good hours, excellent benefits and opportunities for advancement

Cons

I found it to be slightly difficult being one of the only English-speaking employees in the entire plant. It was hard to effectively communicate with team members.

Advice to Management

Yes Hillshire does give ample opportunity to advance to those who show the desire to work for it.

"No days off, no freedom , no family, strict rules, prison life"

Current Employee - Sanitation, Operator, in Haltom City, TX
    Current Employee - Sanitation, Operator, in Haltom City, TX

I have been working at Hillshire Brands full-time

Pros

There are no pros this job is a bad place to work for.

Cons

Everything is bad, no hope , no future , go in feeling proud after a while you loose that pride, managers ignore you with fake excuses, cold terrible place to work in, very little bathroom breaks, no team work ppl hate their life there lots of gossip..i feel low working there

Advice to Management

Shame on all of you for the way you work and treat your employees your point system sucks..you guys are digging your own graves.

8. "Sanitation"

Former Employee - Sanitation Worker in Rome, GA
    Former Employee - Sanitation Worker in Rome, GA

I worked at Hillshire Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Time and 1/2 after 8hours free health insurance.

Cons

No advancement opportunities, poor management, worst human resources ever, 30yrs to get to 1st shift and pay.

Advice to Management

Better human resources that actually cares about employees benefits and work concerns. Professionalism between management and employees, get rid of the buddy system.

"Worst Job I've Ever Had-- Zeeland, MI"

Former Employee - Production Operator in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

I don't have anything to put here, but they are requiring 20 words. I suppose a good point is that they let anyone work there, so everyone has a chance to gain employment regardless of background. This review is in reference to the Zeeland, MI plant, though it isn't listed as an option.

Cons

The point system is a complete joke. It exists solely to protect and promote a subculture at Hillshire and get rid of anyone that doesn't fit into group. Supervisors are completely incompetent and have zero business being in leadership roles. They allow their favorites to fill out vacation slips for no-call-no-shows a day later, yet employees with documented illnesses still receive points even if a physician requires them to stay home. Keep in mind that this is a FOOD ENVIRONMENT, so I can't for the life of me figure out why you are punished for having documented contagious illness and staying home. I was originally told I'd be working 5 days per week, but worked 6 days per week for almost a year and was told we were moving to 7. Again, no regard for work/life balance. Word of advice for anyone there or starting there-- never expect HR to be a resource to you. If you see glaring safety issues or express concern about management incompetence or abuse of power to HR, you are painting a target on your chest. You'll be asked to fill out a statement about your concern, and the only result you'll see is getting treated even more poorly by management for going to HR in the first place. I've watched people skip blade checks and contaminate the meat, but again, management doesn't care if it was one of their buddies, and HR doesn't do anything but hand you a report to fill in. I'm not sure what they do with the reports, probably worth looking into by corporate. Seems like they'd want to know when meat gets contaminated before it leaves the building. Hillshire should also have to report their involuntary turnover by ethnicity. What is the hire to fire ratio for African Americans at Hillshire? If it isn't 1:1, it's close enough to warrant investigation.

Advice to Management

Get some leadership training immediately or have the decency to resign and let someone qualified to fill the role.

"Easy work, very long hours, and little time off from work"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Kansas City, KS

Pros

Plant startup, state-of-the-art equipment, and many talented professionals with everyone's expectation to be the best meat processing plant ever.

Cons

Unproven state-of-the-art equipment, considerable downtime, management's unwillingness to understand it's not the employee's fault, and continuous management turnaround.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the floor, and try to understand the problems that they are dealing with on daily basis.

11. "sanitation"

Current Employee - Sanitation Worker in Zeeland, MI
    Current Employee - Sanitation Worker in Zeeland, MI

Pros

This company have great opportunity to grow and good benefit.

Cons

In the time I work here I never have any issues, I don't have nothing bad to say.