Hillstone Restaurant Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
George Williams Biel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Can make great money as a greeter and they are very open to promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

• Good money because of the higher menu price point, with more consistency than most industry jobs (in 21 reviews)

Cons

1. "Restaurant Management Intern"

Pros

Extremely immersive program that provides the intern with every opportunity necessary to excel in this position.

Cons

As a young professional, the hours are difficult in maintaining a social life, especially since they expect you to not hang out with any coworkers as you are technically their manager.

2. "Waitress"

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time

Pros

Quality training, consistent expectations, good money

Cons

Long hours, it can be a high paced and stressful environment

"Great Concept If Given the Chance"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in North Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the "concept" of the Hillstone restaurants. Detail is everything. Ambiance, how bright and colorful the food is, the amazing service, teamwork, very particular hiring requirements, thorough training, server autonomy, I could go on. . .
    Usually great money. When the team work system works, and the culture is positive and fun loving this truly is an amazing job.
    Before reading my cons, please know that I still recommend working here if you GENUINELY enjoy hospitality, and you are good with not sweatin' the small stuff'.

Cons

In the year and a half that I have worked for Hillstone, more than 40 servers and hostess' have quit or been fired. It has been incredibly stressful on the entire restaurant being so understaffed. I feel I am constantly striving to help keep the dining room "afloat" and am emotionally and physically exhausted running circles to work the job of 2 if not 3 people. There are only a few people that seem to work as hard as what this job requires when we are at half employment capacity and I can't blame those who don't.
    Open zone doubles, are usually 12 hour days with barely a chance to use the restroom and never a moment to sit and eat.
    Not a big problem for me - but there are almost daily changes in regards to procedures, food presentation, menu items, appropriate attire/grooming, sometimes hard to keep up with.
    Despite not being publicly held, this is a very "corporate" feeling restaurant.

Advice to Management

I would never want to be a manager. I commend those who make it. It is a tough road, with more criticism than anything. My advice to management: when you finally become a GM or leave, take a whole week to yourself!

4. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and people. Loved working there

Cons

no cons that i can think of

5. "Greeter"

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time

Pros

Very organized professional restaurant in Midtown
    Pay is great for a greeter
    They have a VERY detailed training and they ensure that you know your responsibilities before they put you on the floor.
    The team works with those who have busy schedules as far as needing a day off or making a switch. Especially because most employees are in school.
    They offer employee discounts

Cons

Rapid turnover in management.

"Prejudice Company"

Former Employee - Greeter in New York, NY

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can expect good consistent money each week.

Cons

Management is young and prejudice. They hire minorities to cover up the fact that they are prejudice toward their employees as well as guest. Guest are not always aware, but they do issue higher wait times to minorities. Some servers tell the Greeters to watch minorities in fear that they will not pay their bill. They sit minorities in the window where they get the extreme temperatures such as cold or heat. They sit them in the bar area with minimal effort at seating them in the actual dinning room. They also hire minorities to clean up, food prep, and wash dishes. They then have one black Greeter, two black servers who are women, one black bar back, and one black manager. This is of course to cover up the fact they are prejudice.

Advice to Management

Just because you hire minorities it does not mean you are not prejudice. Just because you allow them to eat in your establishment does not mean you are not prejudice. The picking and choosing of who you use disciplinary action with is what makes your prejudice, as well as how you interact and treat your black and Latino guest.

7. "Not bad if you're only in it for the money"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money to be made
    Consistent clientele
    Easy to move up if you drink the Kool-Aid and kiss enough butt

Cons

Where to begin...
    Superficial company (your looks matter way more than the ability to do your job)
    Management has nine times out of ten never worked in ANY type of service industry.
    Inconsistent rules: one day they'll instruct you to do one thing, and change it the next.
    You will be a workhorse.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

8. "Manager"

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time

Pros

Money, experience, some great people

Cons

no work life balance, executives are tyrants, most managers are miserable

9. "Did Not Approve"

Former Employee - Food Server in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great co-workers. I made lifelong friends while working here. The servers are almost always really great people.

Cons

High management turnover, lack of respect from management, there used to be a benefits plan until they got rid of it.

Advice to Management

Please learn how to treat your employees. Talking down to them, screaming at them and in some cases shaking them and shoving them is very unacceptable.

10. "Good Money, Alright Management"

Former Employee - Greeter/Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Greeter/Server in Houston, TX

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good money being a greeter or server.
    You literally have no work life balance.
    Good hours for the money you make

Cons

Management could be a lot better!
    Its literally young adults around they 20's who get power struck and they play favoritism a lot

Advice to Management

Really check out management team before you give them the job!
    Its a reason why the turn over rate is so high!