Hilo Fish Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Hilo Fish Company Reviews

2.0
Charlie Umamoto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Management issues abound"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilo, HI

I worked at Hilo Fish Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. You'll meet a few good people. If you're okay with being treated like a slave, you'll enjoy this work environment.

Cons

Poor management skills, business- and people-wise. Difficult people create a hostile work environment and management does nothing about it.

Advice to Management

Quit so the company can start over with a real management team.

2. "A (very) profit oriented company in Hilo, Hawaii."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilo, HI

Pros

- Well, it's a job. If you're on the market and there's a place for you there and you're good with demanding, high pressure jobs it'll be a challenge. You might get some good experience with the wholesale seafood industry.
    - At times there are moments of long term planning that are encouraging.
    - Fellow employees were great people. Friendly and good humored.

Cons

- High pressure to "increase profitability", frequently, no matter the cost. I always felt that I was simply a tool and not a valued employee.
    - In my time there I saw cutbacks in what most would consider standard basic benefits and I was confident, that despite the economic upturn, they would never be returned to previous levels. (loss of personal days, bereavement and fewer sick days available)
    - Micro-management from upper management and over-communication was mandatory. Good feedback would get lost in the deluge of daily emails.
    - Mandatory 1/2 day Saturdays (after the typical 40 hrs a week) for salaried employees. No compensation for any extra time you put in. (even if you've put in >60 hours at the end of the day Friday - see you Saturday!)