Hilo Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Rn ICU"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hilo, HI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hilo, HI

I have been working at Hilo Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good motivation to improve and to be a great resource for community. Staff nurses and CNAs are overall great ppl and great to work with. Top ranking with their VAP/VAE rates. Pay is high compared to cost of living in Hilo. Good parking. Bad health coverage, but good vacation and sick leave. They have a nursing development program which had trained some very good nurses. ICU always had an on-call nurse, so unless there are 2 sick calls on one shift, they are always well staffed.

Cons

The entire hospital feels like it is controlled by a masoginistic moody temperamental inconsistent MD by the name of Kannass. He's dont a GREAT job flipping the hospital and making it better, but he is manipulative and difficult to work with. He believes that patients can't die if he is in the room and he keeps a book in his desk drawer titled "people who annoy me, people who are dumber than me, people who are smarter than me." Surgical unit, cardiovascular unit, and ICU are well managed. Unfortunately nearly the entire floor which is medical unit is SO POORLY run. The nurses have 8 patients on day shift, giving blood, performing PD, going to CT scan. Because they are over worked and under staffed, the rest of the hospital suffers...I.e. Patient can't be admitted to ICU from ER because there's no beds because the medical CC won't book transfers out of ICU. Another major CON is that there is no cardiac or neuro surgeon=no cardiac catch lab=fly our all STEMIs and many strokes. Also, no other hospital, so no diversion when high census.

Advice to Management

Staff medical unit better
    Split it into 2 units; a 77 bed med/surf unit run by 1 manager is REDICULOUS! Poor nurses=poor patients

"I was the switchboard operator at Hilo Medical Center."

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Hilo, HI
    Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Hilo, HI

I worked at Hilo Medical Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hilo Medical Center provided good fringe benefits to part-time employees like myself. I like working in the evening shift

Cons

tt gets nerve rackung when tryying to answer 4 to 5 phone calls at the same time. I wished that I was trained in other areas in the Admission Department.

Advice to Management

I did notiice that that there is poo & low morale among employees and the employees do call in sick frequently. Probably the employees are tired from being overworked because of being short-staffed.

"Unprofessional, unorganized, lack of stability, favoritism, lack of support, poor management, unpredictable scheduling"

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Hilo, HI
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Hilo, HI

Pros

Meeting people and the state benefits

Cons

Poor management. No incentives. No anniversary recognition. No pens. POOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYEES DUE TO POOR ENFORCEMENT IN EMPLOYEE'S PARKING LOT.

Advice to Management

Employee's parking needs a gate to prevent visitors from entering. Provide incentives and acknowledge employee's anniversary with a lei. Copy Queen's Medical Hospital Cafe. Take a chance at working "undercover boss for a week." it will allow you to discover on first hand.

"Nice place to live, but hard to enjoy with only 2 days off together twice a month."

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Hilo, HI
    Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Hilo, HI

Pros

It's Hawaii, its warm and beautiful. It's a relaxed environment. The pay and benefits were decent. People in HR were nice. I could talk to my boss. I got along with the other RT's. I liked the main ICU MD. Good place to get experience.

Cons

The work schedule in the RT Dept. was intense. The burn-out rate was very high. It felt like you were always at work. We only got two days off together twice a month. Upper management was all about image to the community and making money. They viewed patient's as customers and patient care as customer service. The hospital and state have money issues, so our manager was constantly talking about "increasing revenue" which got old. I'm here to care for patient's, not worry about making the hospital money.

Advice to Management

Hire local grads and less traveler's. Listen to the concern's of the community and employees. Switch to 12 hour shifts to decrease burn out.

"Former Employee Review"

I worked at Hilo Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Right side of hospital serve the right side of population
    - Not very busy place to work.
    - Have an update technology that is comparable with the mainland...shocking!
    - Many locals are very nice to work with.

Cons

- Mismatch culture work place, locals mix with travelers staff creating a conflict with methodology.
    - No room for advancement.
    - Resist to change.

Advice to Management

- Stand up for your jobs and for your employee. Put patients first not yourself. Learn to adopt to the mainland way for the sake of developing, you're not loosing anything from learning. Use locals work force, forget about travelers. Travelers cost more than locals-you may run away with retirement, but quality care is bad. Think about patient satisfaction/medicare medicaid etc from using travelers products.

"nurse"

Pros

laid back. country like feeling. employees are small minded with that small town mentality so they don't expect much or work that hard.

Cons

the facilities are run down and dirty. almost ghetto-like. the cafeteria food is terrible.

8. "Great Employer and Colleagues"

I worked at Hilo Medical Center part-time

Pros

Really professional and empowering environment with great colleagues

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work