Hilti North America Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hilti North America President and CEO Avi Kahn
Avi Kahn

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenged by job demands - especially if you want to maximize your income or develop your career beyond your job (in 14 reviews)

• Not as competitive bonus structure compared to large sales companies (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Stellar culture, drive to succeed."

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is a strong mix of traditional and modern, as a millennial I never feel stifled, but get the opportunity to work with people from all generations who are comfortable and able to find success.
    They are very committed to ensuring everyone has the opportunity to grow and develop in the way they want to, giving many systematic opportunities to give your voice and guide your own career path.
    As a privately held company, initiatives are very long term driven, no reporting to shareholders on a quarter by quarter basis.

Cons

The drive to succeed is so ingrained that it may be difficult for someone who wants to start a career and not move around.
    Limited locations by department. Sales opportunities in every corner of the world, other departments are much more limited unless you are looking outside the US.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the individuals. Develop people and give them every chance to succeed you can. The people here make the difference.

"Great products, a LOT of bureaucracy. Excellent bonuses."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good bonuses, dedicated sales company, friendly day to day work environment. Simple folks who "follow orders" blindly stick to the company and advance.

Cons

If you have ideas or opinions, you won't last. If you're a subject matter expert or someone who is actually good at the job (an individual who does what's right rather than does what you're being told) you won't last. If you don't "obey" you won't last. Leadership and executive management don't take a stand on direction. Too many agendas at play. No one corporate strategy. Need to pivot every 3-4 months. Creates extra work and redundancies. A lot of hurdles and political/ego battles. Upper management rather do what they feel is right rather than study the market or data.

Advice to Management

Stop being so hierarchical and start communicating (think dialogue) up and down the food chain. Be transparent. Be data oriented.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager V in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager V in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Culture. Double digit sales growth

Cons

Every year your sales targets result in less money for more work. Company bleeds top performers.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement and non value added tasks have become a nightmare.

"Interesting experience but I did learn a lot. Top 5 companies to sell for. Looks good on resume."

Former Employee - Account Manager III in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager III in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hilti North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Salary,time off, and the people. Company events were very fun. Great way to meet people.

Cons

You can't have an opinion here. You have to be a yes man to work here. Can't have any type of opinion here or you're outcasted. If you value health care more than others, Hilti has the worst health plan ever. 2,500 or 5,000 deductable before any coverage kicked in. After having to paying mostly full price for my medicines, I could only afford to pick up my prescriptions every other month. I almost went broke paying med bills here for normal once a month visits with my specialist. I can only imagine if your have kids and work here, you'd probably be in big trouble.

Advice to Management

Improve health care benefits and listen to your employees. At the end of the day their opinion matters most. What good is a decent Salary if your health care costs take a big portion of your paycheck.

Hilti North America Response

Mar 17, 2017 – Director, Total Rewards

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience; in addition to ongoing feedback and our annual employee opinion survey, comments like this really help us improve. I am very sorry to hear ... More

5. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company really cares about their employees. Privately owned company and always will. Great benefits, and lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind! Company has been excellent to work for so far!

"ACCOUNT MANAGER"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time

Pros

Job is pretty easy. Great Benefits. A lot of time off. Consistently learning, always interesting. Good education incentive. I am happy with my pay. Problem solving.

Cons

Customers are usually rushed due to a lack of planning and get be stressed out, thus taking it out on you. They keep hiring people from the outside and paying them more, than people who have been with the company for longer. And to add salt to the wound, the new hires have a smaller sales goal...where does that add up? Sometimes unrealistic sales goals. No PPO option

Advice to Management

Any outside AM hire should start off as an AM2 or 3. You may lose qualified canidates, but youll build loyalty from those whose start at the bottom. Not to mention internal canidates know the product/procedures. Also you consistently say that we as a company we should grow at 15% to prior year...then why are goals increasing 30-40% it makes no sense.

"Hilti Culture"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hilti North America (More than 3 years)

Pros

My honest $.02 about my role as an account manager in Phoenix...

Whenever you work for an individual who's instinctive question to solving a problem is "What is the right thing to do?"

I can, with ease, say that I am particularly proud to be apart Mike Angelo's team here in Phoenix.

Those words, that sentence... Makes me proud to work for a company who's core values reflect that doing the morally right thing is what is most important in business and in life.

Cons

You have to be consistently proactive towards your self development and enjoy making relationships.
    Learning through personal failures is what is key to growth.

"Inside Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Hilti North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great community and leadership. Very motivated to teach and assist in your progress up the ladder.

Cons

If you're not capable of moving it makes it hard to get promoted.

"Innovation-driven"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great products, excellent services, strong front-line team. Industry leader in many ways. Global presence, financially stable company.

Cons

slow, conservative, over engineered and often detached from real customer's needs. tends to swing to extremes (currently on "millennials" flavor of the month...) lots of processes, not enough of execution.

Advice to Management

stick to what really is important and be humble.

"Account Manager II"

Current Employee - Account Manager I in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Account Manager I in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a very flexible schedule. You basically make your own schedule. They have good yearly training on new products where they will get the whole Market Organization either West coast, East coast or Central region together to go over new products and new changes within the next year. They also have a decent health package that includes paid vacation, holidays, short term and long term medical disability, company euro style van to carry products to and from customers and many resources in the corporate office to help with new hires.

Cons

The sales quotas for each year change and are based off prior year plus add a large percentage. They are extremely hard to meet making getting a bonus very difficult. Especially if you are new to the sales role or were promoted from within the company. Also if you don't make your sales goals for two consecutive years they either demote you or fire you. There is also a long of turn over within the management department and corporate offices. The company vehicle is a European systel van that can't fit / hold all the product you need to have so you either have to have a storage unit or garage you can store extra material in.

Advice to Management

Makes sales goals achievable and don't try to blow the number out of the water each year. Also, actually be there for your employees. When they ask for help, don't put it on the back burner or advise them to talk to customer service or find it online. Also, have more group activities with the sales team. Most roles are remote based and don't have a feel of an actual team.