Hilti North America "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Hilti North America Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 24, 2019

3.9
Hilti North America President and CEO North America  Avi Kahn
Avi Kahn
Pros
Cons
  • "Some of the account managers in the field do not treat the Hilti Center representatives as equals even though they have some challanages as well(in 28 reviews)

• "Sometimes upper management is out of touch(in 26 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "When living core values is important to you."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Visible leadership, competitive benefits, work-life balance, education/career development support, diverse team members from around the world, strong core values, great community partner

Cons

A bit too conservative in some aspects of how we do business. Could be more agile.

Hilti North America2019-10-25

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is unmatched. Autonomy is great and my team is amazing!

Cons

If you want to move up you most likely have to move or wait for something to come open in your region. Sometimes I would like a little more challenge. Forecasting is ridiculous, one year you’ll have a good year and the next your number will be unattainable. The innovation we bring to our customers is not carried out in our day to day computer technology needed to do our jobs.

Advice to Management

Don’t punish your top performers with insane forecasts. Give us advanced technology. Stop making us log our calls - it’s all made up to hit that arbitrary metric.

Hilti North America2019-10-09

"Talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker III in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Hilti North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Hours, micromanaging, you’re just a nobody. They have all these great buzzwords they use like integrity, teamwork, courage, and commitment and it sounds really good. Until you find out that all they are are just words. Their is no teamwork if you’re not a management favorite or you fall out of favor with them. Your ideas are never good enough to be used or if they are they are stolen and brought back later by management as if they were their own. A lot of disrespectful talk to and about employees. There is no set schedule. You basically start your shift and you’re there until whenever, usually about 12-13 hours. There is no work life balance. If your not all company all the time you’re look at as if you don’t care. In the beginning everything was great and then the cracks in their shiny veneer started to show. You are micromanaged to death by an inconsiderate and abusive manager. And god forbid you can’t stay for 13 hours and have a family problem or commitments outside of work you’d think the world was going to end. I’ve heard people referred to as stupid, useless, worthless by management on quite a few occasions in front of other employees. I’ve seen people cry because of the way they were talked to or flat out ignored when they were trying to discuss an issue or present an idea that was immediately deemed not worthy within 5 seconds of hearing it. If you’re not in the inner circle forget about trying to advance. No training programs in place to help people advance. You are expected to know your job perfectly without training or coaching if you make a mistake. You’ll be promised all the help and training in the world but don’t expect it to happen even when you ask for it repeatedly. I saw a lot of good people forced out or leave because of management destroying their spirit. If you can handle being treated like a second class citizen then by all means apply. I would stay far away.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging everyone and listen to the ones who are doing the work. They are your best resource for input into how things get better. And start treating people with the same respect that they treat you, regardless of their title.

Hilti North America2019-10-10

"Good to Great...then back to good"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work-Life balance, autonomy, some really great teammates, overall compensation package, industry reputation

Cons

Our direction seems to be more and more focused and concerned with ourselves rather than our customers and their needs, losing the relevant/high volume innovation game to competition, middle management has less and less experience resulting in poor decisions and additional unproductive administrative work

Hilti North America2019-07-17
  5. "A solid place to work"

Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/ life balance Supportive atmosphere Autonomy and trust that your work is being done The company seems to truly care about its people There is opportunity for growth and experience with cross-functional projects if you have your manager's support There is opportunity for advancement (but you usually have to be willing to relocate)

Cons

Archaic systems and a lot of manual work that could be avoided Integration for new-hires needs improvement There can be a lot of resistance to change--sometimes there's too much of the "we've always done it this way" attitude Management can be out of touch at times (even though they're friendly/ approachable)

Hilti North America2019-07-09

"Hilti Changed"

I have been working at Hilti North America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay and leave policies

Cons

I've been with the company for six years. The culture has significantly changed, this is no longer a family-oriented company. Hilti offers a lot of benefits but they rarely allow you to take advantage of them. Management is out of touch with what goes on day-to-day, don't value employees and tenure is no longer appreciated. Work-life balance is poor and you are given no flexibility for family commitments. You must relocate in order to get promoted, there are very rare exceptions to this rule. Be prepared to sacrifice a lot and get little in return.

Advice to Management

Don't offer benefits that you don't plan to give your employees. Show the people who work for you that you value them and listen to them. Give them flexibility and don't be so dismissive when they need something, especially when they have shown you so much loyalty. Most importantly, reward them when they've done an outstanding job. Be more inclusive of younger employees and allow them the same opportunities you give to older one's.

Hilti North America2019-05-22
  7. "Sr Manager"

I have been working at Hilti North America

Pros

Friendly environment Work-life balance Competitive Salary Smart casual dress code

Cons

Matrix environment can cause projects to take longer and be more complicated than needed Some processes are very manual

Hilti North America2019-03-25
  8. "Hilti Hawaii"

Former Employee - Account Manager Electrical Trade in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hilti North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance with Hilti

Cons

Company forecasting is based on prior year. Typically double digit growth is expected the following year. Nearly impossible to achieve if the market isn't growing.

Advice to Management

Consult with AM(s) on forecasting.

Hilti North America2019-02-23

"Follow up Review"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager

I worked at Hilti North America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The work life balance was the best after you learned the processes. Great relationships with a number of other account managers developed over a lengthy tenure. The products are great and fun to demonstrate.

Cons

Integrity is absent. Three core values remain. I read the responses about the tenured employment and the lack of turnover. The last team that I was part of lost 4 members out of 8 within a year's time. Only 1 of the 4 left to follow his spouse's job. Perhaps the tenure statistic is manipulated by posting global numbers. Maybe an employee's departure is not recorded properly if that position is filled internally...IDK. What I do know is that the DM position for a certain division has been vacated by 3 different people within the last 5 years. All 3 DM's left for different companies. This is undeniable regardless of the response that this post will solicit. The turnover at the DM level should be as concerning as the account manager turnover. Obviously the Culture isn't working for everyone.

Advice to Management

People must be willing to move to be promoted; this is not right. You are only hurting your customers, teams, and ultimately the company. There are a number of strong reps that would be excellent Regional Managers, but you refuse to promote them because they will not move. Basically this weeds out anyone that isn't single or part of a couple w/o children. Stop attempting to manipulate every statistic to produce an unrealistic company image. You are a great company overall, but the Regional Managers need a serious upgrade - an upgrade that isn't possible under the current criteria for becoming an RM. That said, I interact with a number of former customers and few former co-workers from time to time. I always keep it positive, and I do not ever bash the company - it is a fine company to work for overall.

Hilti North America2018-12-30
  10. "Hilti For The Win"

Current Employee - Communications Coordinator in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hilti North America part-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent place to work! Supportive colleagues, caring leadership, fun work environment and inherent work-life balance make Hilti a great place to develop my career.

Cons

I have not experienced any cons.

Advice to Management

Would be great to have more part-time roles available.

Hilti North America2019-01-07