Hilton Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

Updated April 19, 2017

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is nice in theory but not in reality (in 80 reviews)

• Some areas require 6 days or long hours (in 129 reviews)

"Great Perks, Poor Ecommerce Department Leadership"

Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay rate, great paid vacation accrual (4 weeks of PTO in first year), excellent hotel discounts and other perks. Work-life balance is exceptional. One work from home day a week is a great perk. Addison, TX office is well located, and there are some great people who work in eCommerce. The work is not too stressful if you can manage relationships with hotels effectively.

Cons

Ecommerce managers have limited levers to that can be used to drive revenue. Franchise hotels don't have to follow recommendations from ecommerce on setting aside budget for digital marketing, so we are forced to rely on cheap/free tactics that can't drive much revenue. Despite not being given the proper tools to drive results, we are expected to deliver them nonetheless.

Ecommerce leadership is weak, disconnected and opaque, all the way up to CLR (one of our VPs). I don't believe they try to be secretive, I just don't think they possess the skills and expertise to effectively set annual strategies, milestones and communicate their vision properly. As a result, the department feels directionless, has been passed around to numerous senior executives, and is now being gutted to bolster the ranks of the current executive's pet discipline - destination marketing.

Favoritism runs rampant and substandard employees have been fast tracked into middle management roles because they latched onto the right coattails, despite having glaring skill set and knowledge gaps (one of them promoted to director of social media after less than a year as a senior manager without knowing how Facebook ads work - seriously). Office politics exist everywhere, but Hilton is the worst example of it I have seen in my long career. Your performance doesn't matter as long as your managers like you as a person.

The good news is myself and a few lucky others survived the PNG purge and will continue to make good money with a good work-life balance after the dust settles. I feel bad for those who are having to take a demotion or look outside the company to achieve one executive's power play. The bad news is the ones who prevent the department from excelling are still running it. I give it a few more years before they just fold eCommerce into a more competently run part of the organization, like Advice or Revenue Management.

If we had the same strong leadership present in those departments, we might be growing in size and company influence. Too bad we don't.

Advice to Management

Focus more on delivering for your people instead of sucking up to your stakeholders. There is more to leadership than playing politics. Open communication and honesty is a good start. Being vague while claiming transparency leads to fewer short term tough conversations, but it leads to more long term trust and credibility issues from those you lead. Hopefully you can figure it out some day, but I certainly wouldn't bet my life savings on that happening.

May 3, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time and effort you’ve taken to share feedback. Our aim is to be the most hospitable place for our guests, and also our Team Members. Based on your review, there are things that we... More

"Hilton RMCC"

Current Employee - Revenue Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO with management support to use it; flexible work environment (work from home one day per week and during winter holidays); management is approachable and usually willing to go the distance to solve problems; discounts on hotel stays and a wide variety of non-hotel related discounts (cell phone, mattresses, etc); overall positive office culture with numerous volunteer opportunities and fun events held throughout the year; decent training and development programs; perfect place for a new college graduate or those with a family and desire job stability

Cons

High level management seems to lack the ability to plan more than a few months in advance (numerous team members have desks in meeting rooms due to lack of space); last-minute initiatives with dubious goals and lack of transparency regarding their impact on the business; lack of transparency in regards to promotions; lack of opportunities to move up the ladder within the RMCC (you will either manage hotels or manage people here) or within Hilton (the Dallas office seems very removed from the rest of the company); increase in nepotism within the past two years (a curiously high number of lower and middle managers have out-of-office connections with leadership i.e. babysitters, gym buddies, friends of family, etc.); lack of incentives to improve personal performance (typical 3% yearly pay increase; no bonuses for non-management positions; salary caps for promotions)

Advice to Management

Actively encourage and give current RMCC employees the ability to interact with non-revenue management teams located in other offices so we have more opportunities for career advancement; be much more open in regards to promotions and put an end to the nepotism and favoritism shown to certain employees; realize that business planning needs to encompass both the short term and long term; provide real incentives for personal performance so people take pride in their work and we improve RMCC performance above that of the field; come up with a solid business plan so employees are not stuffed in meeting rooms throughout the building due to lack of space and we're not having to work overtime to finish random performance initiatives to try to improve performance

Oct 19, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We appreciate your candor. Though we strive to promote a positive working environment, it sounds from your remarks that there could be opportunities... More

"Good starting job"

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great job especially for hospitality right out of college.
    -Plethora of benefits (401k, team member travel, starting 21 days of PTO, 1 work from home day a week)
    -Multiple resources at your disposal
    -Office culture is good for a big company. Everyone is very friendly and upper management is very approachable
    -Opportunities for advancement go beyond just revenue management

Cons

Office preaches for work/life balance but with 15 properties in a portfolio you typically need to work more than 40 hours a week to maintain performance especially when initiatives are due. Work is tedious and repetitive so it can be easy to burn out. Compensation is below par for relative revenue management positions. Also, yearly merit increases are minimal and do not reflect performance. Seniority and hard work usually lands you a harder portfolio with declining properties/difficult management teams with no compensation.

Advice to Management

Portfolios need to be balanced so we can offer the best quality service to your teams. Right now, especially for senior specialists, we have multiple difficult properties/teams that take time away from lower maintenance properties. Specialist that go above and beyond deserve compensation for the time and effort they put into their portfolios. Make sure that initiatives that we roll out have value to the hotel teams and work! In the past initiatives have had wrong data/reports or other issues. Take some of the extra work of of middle management so they have time to do their actual job; supporting the specialists.

Oct 7, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We acknowledge that Team Members have responsibilities outside of work so we do what we can to help them manage these multiple demands... More

4. "Front Desk Agent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours. Good people to work with, including co-workers. Great entry level position to hone inter-personal skills and relationships.

Cons

Dealing with trivial guest complaints. Lots of recent turnover in the company has lead to too much overtime and shared responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and dignity, and offer more upward-mobility in job creation. Pay should be increased more rapidly based on tenure.

Aug 12, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and offering feedback as we value your honesty. We are disappointed to hear that you are not experiencing the working dynamic as you had hoped and one that we strive to... More

5. "Love Working for the Hilton Work at Home"

Former Employee - Insurance Specialist in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Specialist in Plano, TX

I worked at Hilton part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome bonuses for recommending amentites, Cool hours and get to use discount to stay anywhere worldwide.

Cons

You have to take time off sometime, but the job remains too fun

Advice to Management

Please hire me back. My most favorite job ever

Aug 31, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and provide feedback for us. We appreciate your comments and are glad that you enjoyed sharing and promoting our hospitality culture and vision. We... More

6. "Work at home but still no life"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hotel benefits are pretty great, you get to work from home, that's pretty much it. This is a short term type job rather than a long term career choice.

Cons

If you work full time you will never have a life. Always working weekends and requesting time off is not always easy. The hotel discounts are good but finding an available hotel is very difficult (don't plan on staying anywhere on the weekend cause it wont happen), turnover is high with supervisors and they only care about the big picture which is expecting way too much from agents with each call. They also do not like if you have to take medical leave or maternity leave which resulted in a lot of people not coming back after taking leave. Your experience also depends on who you work under. Some supervisors are great and appreciative of what agents do, others barely give a "good job" when you meet all of their ridiculous expectations. Working from home is nice, however their virtual system is constantly having issues, calls get dropped, system freezes and requires you to reboot your entire computer, programs that we use do not work. Even though the issues are on their end they expect you to still be able to work through it, and if it happens enough time they will fire you without warning for having too many issues, even though the issues are on their end. Pay starts low and with yearly raises you would still have to remain with the company for a long time before making a reasonable wage. Full time employees get to bid on a schedule every 6 months but its based on seniority, which means if you've been with the company for less than 3 or 4 years then you'll most likely get a terrible schedule. Work/life balance is also awful and don't even think about getting to spend the holidays with family if they are out of town/state. Also if you ask 3 people the same question you will get 3 different answers. And the hotels are not on the same page as the call center so you get a lot of customers that were told conflicting pieces of information and finding the right answer takes forever....then you get penalized for that.

Advice to Management

Don't penalize your employees for issues that stem from your virtual system. Appreciate your employees more and try paying your employees a decent wage. Try offering a better work/life balance for your employees, they have families too. And don't make employees jump through hoops and give them a hard time when they have to take medical leave. Its unfair and unacceptable.

Aug 31, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

"Revenue Analyst"

Current Employee - Revenue Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Revenue Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great time off accrual.
    Flexible work schedules.
    Discounted room nights
    "Team Member Appreciation Week"
    Random Pizza Day
    Casual work attire.

Cons

WELL BELOW (20-40% below) market pay. *But they spend a TON of money for "benefits" such as team member appreciation and other random things.*

Routinely roll out programs that are not fully tested and have multiple problems.

Do not invest money in IT programs that EVERY property uses for financial reporting!

Upper mid level management doesn't post other mid level (director/assistant director) positions online. Most of these positions are more or less discussed between other mid level managers and then given to someone without being communicated like other open positions. Promotions only happen from entry level positions, rarely into mid level and only then it is given to someone's "friend". This causes high levels of turnover in the Revenue Specialist position.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting so much money on printed handouts that everyone throws in the trash!

Please get better help desk support than the lowest possible support from Dell! Waiting for a YEAR or more to get a problem resolved is unacceptable.

If someone is doing a job that no one else is doing, they should probably be over valued and over paid, rather than the other way around.

To mid level management, don't say you can't give more of a percentage of a raise, when there is as much information on the internet as there is! You're employees are smarter and more resourceful than some apparently think and even at that, we can ask people within the company to fact check.

Don't create new teams (especially with names that miss communicate what they are supposed to do) within a department and hand out multiple promotions and raises to people already in management roles yet not doing their jobs, then not give a proper raise to people getting promoted out of entry level positions that have out performed in every metric the company tracks for their team.

Sep 4, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

8. "Pleave personal attitudes out of work place"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

Pros

the flexibilty , working from home , discounts at hotels

Cons

the follow thru is horrible and management gossips too much about personal things, there are good people

Advice to Management

be reasonable , emergencies happen , standards for goals tdont match workload

"HHonors Customer Care From Home"

Current Employee - Customer Care Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working from home has huge advantages: saving on gas, lunch expenses, even attire. Pretty easy to manipulate schedule. Great team member travel program. Reward system (bonus, raise, etc) easy to follow and pretty attainable.

Cons

Direct supervisors "development coaches" have little interest in the actual development of their employees. Operations department (technical issues, absenses, forecasting, etc) are completely incompetent. System is beyond primative.

Advice to Management

Hire better development coaches.

10. "Pre-Arrival Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton (More than a year)

Pros

Willing to work with school schedules and personal obligations

Cons

Lack of communication and follow through

Showing 23 of 2,690 reviews