Hilton ECommerce Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

ECommerce Manager

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is nice in theory but not in reality (in 77 reviews)

• Long hours - however you do get used to them over time (in 125 reviews)

"Fair"

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and ability to create own projects

Cons

Can be difficult to get teams to assist with projects

Apr 3, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and provide some feedback. We appreciate you exemplifying our values and sharing our vision of hospitality in everything you do. Keep up the great ... More

"Great Perks, Poor Ecommerce Department Leadership"

Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay rate, great paid vacation accrual (4 weeks of PTO in first year), excellent hotel discounts and other perks. Work-life balance is exceptional. One work from home day a week is a great perk. Addison, TX office is well located, and there are some great people who work in eCommerce. The work is not too stressful if you can manage relationships with hotels effectively.

Cons

Ecommerce managers have limited levers to that can be used to drive revenue. Franchise hotels don't have to follow recommendations from ecommerce on setting aside budget for digital marketing, so we are forced to rely on cheap/free tactics that can't drive much revenue. Despite not being given the proper tools to drive results, we are expected to deliver them nonetheless.

Ecommerce leadership is weak, disconnected and opaque, all the way up to CLR (one of our VPs). I don't believe they try to be secretive, I just don't think they possess the skills and expertise to effectively set annual strategies, milestones and communicate their vision properly. As a result, the department feels directionless, has been passed around to numerous senior executives, and is now being gutted to bolster the ranks of the current executive's pet discipline - destination marketing.

Favoritism runs rampant and substandard employees have been fast tracked into middle management roles because they latched onto the right coattails, despite having glaring skill set and knowledge gaps (one of them promoted to director of social media after less than a year as a senior manager without knowing how Facebook ads work - seriously). Office politics exist everywhere, but Hilton is the worst example of it I have seen in my long career. Your performance doesn't matter as long as your managers like you as a person.

The good news is myself and a few lucky others survived the PNG purge and will continue to make good money with a good work-life balance after the dust settles. I feel bad for those who are having to take a demotion or look outside the company to achieve one executive's power play. The bad news is the ones who prevent the department from excelling are still running it. I give it a few more years before they just fold eCommerce into a more competently run part of the organization, like Advice or Revenue Management.

If we had the same strong leadership present in those departments, we might be growing in size and company influence. Too bad we don't.

Advice to Management

Focus more on delivering for your people instead of sucking up to your stakeholders. There is more to leadership than playing politics. Open communication and honesty is a good start. Being vague while claiming transparency leads to fewer short term tough conversations, but it leads to more long term trust and credibility issues from those you lead. Hopefully you can figure it out some day, but I certainly wouldn't bet my life savings on that happening.

May 3, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time and effort you’ve taken to share feedback. Our aim is to be the most hospitable place for our guests, and also our Team Members. Based on your review, there are things that we ... More

"Avoid ecommerce department"

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Time off - 20 days your first year and 25 days after
    Work from home flexibility
    Travel benefits

Cons

No advancement opportunities.
    No priority given to internal candidates for promotions - they usually hire externally.
    Senior leadership is very disorganized and show favoritism. They also have an extreme elitist attitude.
    Work load is unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Invest in your current employees. Be more transparent about what is happening within the company. Listen to the feedback your employees give instead of sweeping it under the rug.

Apr 14, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and offering feedback as we value your honesty. We are disappointed to hear that you are not experiencing the working dynamic as you had hoped and one that we strive to ... More

"eCommerce Manager"

Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hilton provides amazing travel benefits! If you love to explore the world, the travel benefits alone are worth being employed by Hilton because not only do they offer heavy discounts on hotels but they also provide employees with enough PTO to take advantage of that perk, while encouraging team members to use all their accumulated days. The eCommerce team members are great to work with. Everyone is helpful, friendly, and fun! Lastly, the company is growing like crazy which will hopefully bring new career growth opportunities.

Cons

Very Corporate--since going public, (naturally) Hilton has become very results driven and has lost sight on some of the primary hospitality fundamentals. Results are a top priority when companies go public so it's understandable. Lastly, health insurance is pretty expensive--but they do offer tons of providers to help you choose the best option for you/your family.

Apr 3, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and offer feedback. As you know, it is our desire to be competitive in our industry and offer the best to our Team Members. It's nice to be ... More

"Hard to leave"

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discounts on hotels
    Great PTO and Maternity
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth

Aug 1, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking time to offer your feedback regarding your career advancement. Whenever possible, Hilton strives to promote from within and offer career growth opportunities for our Team ... More

"eCommerce"

Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Lots of PTO (20 days first year, 25 days after...)
    -When available, hotel discounts are great
    -Management is reactive to employee surveys and real changes have been implemented as a result of past surveys
    -Opportunity for international travel & work if you're willing to move
    -Strong sense of team

Cons

-Opportunities to move up are somewhat limited, depending on where you live
    -Too many reports with inconsistent information
    -Be ready to be in a constant state of change. Flexibility and ability to adapt are needed to succeed.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your team - it is felt and appreciated. Make sure growth opportunities are shared.

Aug 1, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

"Ok"

Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Hilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, training and overall company culture!

Cons

Too fragmented across many offices

Advice to Management

Collaborate across divisions

"Lots of issues in the eCommerce department"

Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - ECommerce Manager in Addison, TX

I worked at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay to perform a simple job. Very much a 9-5 job that you don't need to take home. Benefits are good, especially the employee travel program perks. 5 weeks of PTO after your first year is also unbeatable.

Cons

Very inexperienced people in management roles leads to micromanagement and a lack of overall leadership. Inconsistencies across teams with policies and procedures such as work from home caused a lot of internal issues. The recruiters do a good job of overselling this job. eCommerce team members are just glorified account managers who talk about digital but don't actually execute on digital principles. There are not a lot of opportunities to move up and the promotions are given to those who don't necessarily have experience in those roles. The turnover is very high and the company does not do a good job of trying to retain their talent.

Advice to Management

Put more value on prior experience, especially in people-management and leadership roles. It will lead to less bad hires and less internal unrest amongst employees. Also, find ways to retain your talent. Tons of talent has walked away from the eCommerce department without any attempt to be retained.

"Large Company, Great Benefits, Can be Difficult to Advance"

Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like to travel, you can't beat the benefits. Competitive salary and fun work environment.

Cons

With the corporate structure and size of the company, advancement can be challenging

"Great salary/benefits, but the department needs some work"

Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- fair compensation
    - great benefits
    - cheap travel
    - lots of leisure time during work
    - mostly great people
    - looks good on your resume

Cons

- directors have poor understanding of what our jobs are or how they should accurately be measured
    - lack of access to data needed to optimize our sites
    - judged on driving revenue but not given enough autonomy to make strategic decisions on how to drive thay revenue
    - hostility and distrust between senior managers and directors prevents positive change
    - portfolio sizes are too large making it difficult to adapt during times of high turnover
    - leadership let's slackers slide while overloading their good people for extended periods of time
    - yearly survey is taken, but nothing changes

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. We're in the trenches every day, and we want to solve the problems we're facing. You just have to let us.