Hilton Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 17, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is nice in theory but not in reality (in 82 reviews)

• Some areas require 6 days or long hours (in 131 reviews)

1. "Set your own hour..."

Current Employee - WAH Sales/Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - WAH Sales/Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hilton part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You build your schedule
    Opportunity to go full time

Cons

No real growth opportunity
    Lots of changes and misinformation provided
    Schedule set, no flexibility in changing as most are looking to rid of hours rather than trade

Advice to Management

Get on the same page before you roll out your initiatives.
    Your HRCC and Hotel Front Desk team are the BACKBONE of the organization. Pay them as such and you'll keep happy guests.

2. "Terrible Executive Leadership"

Current Employee - Housekeeping Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Housekeeping Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful hotel with so much opportunity. It has all of the latest technology which would put a leader working there above the rest of the competition if learned.

Cons

-Terrible Executive Leadership- no consideration for those who truly care about the success of the hotel
    -Average of 14HR days without any type of additional compensation
    -Favoritism / Politics amounts all Managers/ Directors

3. "Maintenance"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Lutz, FL
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Lutz, FL

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401 k retirement plan and that it's a worldwide company

Cons

Not a good salary for that is expected

Advice to Management

Take better care of thier employees

Aug 15, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and offering feedback as we value your honesty. We are disappointed to hear that you are not experiencing the working dynamic as you had hoped and one that we strive to... More

4. "HRCC"

I worked at Hilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

*Work from home
    *Good insurance benefits
    *Some colleagues and managers are good people. Despite my following complaints, I've actually made quite a few good friends here.
    *It's a pretty sweet deal if you can work your way into a management position. Then, you can stand around chatting all day, take 3 hour lunch breaks, and go to "leadership conferences" aka eating and drinking on Hilton's dime while your subordinates are being worked to death.

Cons

*Overall, the environment is toxic/gossipy/negative.
    *Most managers are incompetent, upper management especially is out of touch. With a few exceptions, most of the managers do not know how to effectively manage people. They turn to micro-managing because they don't know what else to do. Everything you say and do is constantly scrutinized and picked apart.
    *Well, it's a call center job. Like any call center job, you are treated like just a number. Basically, expect to be treated like a call-taking robot. Your manager will not care if you are sick, if a family member is sick or if a close friend just died. You exist to take calls, your individual life circumstances simply do not matter here.
    *Extremely repetitive, you are basically saying the same thing and answering the same questions all day long.
    *Calls are nonstop all day, no time to take a breath or a sip of water between calls. Be prepared to take a lot of abuse by people who act like hotel reservations are a matter of life and death.
    *They say scheduling is flexible; what that means is that YOU will be flexible for THEM, expect no work/life balance if you're on a full-time set schedule. After being there for 10 years, I was rewarded by being forced to move from a decent daytime schedule to working an overnight schedule. Totally ridiculous and impossible to have any sort of life outside of work with that sort of schedule.
    *Team member travel rate is very difficult to find available, even when booking a year in advance. Good luck finding a date where the rate is available AND you can get PTO approved to actually go. It's a joke.

I actually liked the job when I first started, but it's changed a lot over the past several years. The overall employee morale has seriously declined and it's obvious why. By the end of my time here, I developed serious problems with anxiety and depression. Getting out of there has been life changing in the best possible way. It might be tolerable for someone who is just part-time, build a schedule and can give hours away. But relying on this job as your sole source of income and working 40+ hours a week was honestly soul-crushing.

Aug 15, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to give us this review and feedback. We acknowledge that Team Members have responsibilities outside of work and we strive to help our Team Members manage these multiple... More

5. "Food and Beverage Manager"

I worked at Hilton full-time

Pros

Great benefits, connection building, fast-paced, everyday is different.

Cons

Office politics, favoritism, organizational issues

Advice to Management

Focus on the development and encouragement of your managers as much as they focus on the development of line-level employees.

Jul 20, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and offering feedback as we value your honesty. We are disappointed to hear that you did not experience the working dynamic as you had hoped and one that we strive to... More

6. "Mixed Bag of Benefits and Problems..."

I have been working at Hilton part-time

Pros

Busy, full of people and activity. In the town square shopping area so there's most always something going on and that brings people into the hotel. Very busy late night bar.

Cons

Overly busy with drunks coming out of the bar and functions. GM's policy of prohibiting the staff from throwing troublemakers out of the hotel hamstrings employees and causes affected parties to have to flee the hotel. More than one positive experience has been ruined as in the reviews. It's nearly impossible for trouble making employees to get counseled let alone fired which roils employees that have to work with them. There is little if any positive communications, you more often then not only hear from management when you've done something wrong. The back of the hotel is usually filthy if not a mess with overflowing and smelly trash cans that apparently no one empties. Roaches and insects have been seen in the back offices along with food and drinks left out.

7. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good food, good coworkers, fun atmosphere on 2nd shift

Cons

High turnover, long hours, lack of appreciation

"Pay sucks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hilton full-time

Pros

great company with great reputation, ability to move around if you want

Cons

the home training is ridiculous!!! the modules are WAY to o many too much information stuffing makes it hard for the agent to maintain what is important!! The PAY SUCKS!!! 9.00 an hour with the POSSIBILITY of incentives is not enough for all you have to remember whether it is work from home or not.
    When during the interview it should be emphasized the extra monies that could be made per reservation is based solely on "metrics" and it is NOT a definite 1.00 or more!
    Pay like that from such a well-known company is actually a little pitiful

Advice to Management

The training needs to be changed remove the Role-playing it does not help... you need to implement sitting sessions where the new hires are paired with actual teams and listening to the calls maybe taking a call or two... the modules are just dumb making scrolling a correct or incorrect move is not good and the modules actually do not show how the live journey system actually works... the modules make it much harder..
    the pay needs to be higher

Jun 22, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and this review. Your comments are appreciated and valued. Be sure to share your training ideas with your manager. The best ideas come... More

"Franchise-owned"

Former Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in San Gabriel, CA
    Former Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in San Gabriel, CA

I worked at Hilton part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly team, flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Low pay, no promotions or raises available.

Advice to Management

Enforce performance evaluations and allow promotions and raises.

Jun 22, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

10. "Hilton Dallas Lincoln Center"

Pros

Room discounts are great. Hotels aren't too bad. Some of the directors and other employees were really great and nice.

Cons

Aways had issues in my department and didn't feel comfortable talking to my manager so when I tried talking to HR, they were never there. I would try different times during the day but even when the sign says they are or should be opened, they aren't. Who do you talk to about problems??? Pay is also low.

Advice to Management

Be more available to your employees.

Showing 263 of 2,741 reviews