Hilton Reviews | Glassdoor

Hilton President and CEO Christopher Nassetta
Christopher Nassetta

2,424 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • There is no culture around work/life balance (in 76 reviews)

• Long hours for management; difficult to continue to move up because of the amount of people working for the company (in 122 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Grow and Develop with Hilton!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started as a line level employee in the hospitality industry, joined Hilton 20 years ago and just celebrated my 5th year as a General Manager in a full service hotel. Hilton Worldwide is a company dedicated to developing talent at every level in the organization and I owe my success and career to their continual investment in me.

Cons

Growth in the company can mean relocation from city to city. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, it is certainly can be part of the equation, especially if you want to fast track your career.

Advice to Management

Leaders with a proven track record for creating successful teams, engaging their work group, and developing talent are highly prized in our organization.

Hilton Response

Dec 14, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and provide feedback. You are an extraordinary hospitality professional and make Hilton a great place to work. We appreciate all you do, keep up the ... More

2. "Hilton as a career?"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

Eager to develop a competent and strong team member base.

Cons

Some hotels are too big to be noticed in.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with your foundation,...the little people. They are the real outward projection of the demeanor of your hotel.

3. "Hilton Hotels"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

Pros

Opportunity for advancement by direct supervisors and the PATH

Cons

Lots of paperwork because it used to be a public company

Advice to Management

acknowledge hard work from management, not only line level members

"Hiltion, A great place to to work"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Memphis, TN

Pros

The Memphis corporate office has a comfortable, casual workplace that makes you happy to come to work in the morning. When your life requires you to be elsewhere, the work schedule can be flexible as long as you work something out with your manager. The benefits are good ranging from your typical 401(k) plan and a solid medical program to discounts on hotel rooms and hotel furnishings.

Cons

Office politics can be a drag but I suppose that will be an issue wherever you go. I also assume this will vary from place to place you work within Hilton.
    Hilton is not an IT company, and the IT department does not run as such. If you are used to and prefer structure and standards, you may be dissapointed.

Advice to Management

Remember the value of an in-house IT department. Outsourcing would hurt control over the IT direction and developments.

6. "Laid off, but I still think the company is good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Team member travel program, PTO builds up very quickly

Cons

I was laid off, even though I had put in over 6 years with the company

Advice to Management

Recognize everyone and do not stop the "team member of the month" or Manager of the Quarter" programs, even when times are tough

7. "Great place for entry level or those without education background. Hilton promotes from within and it happends often."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Family like atmosphere care about employees and customers. Will help you be all that you can be with lots of family love and lots of good inceptives, like free hotels stays and other fun stuff.

Cons

Working nights, holidays and weekends. distance if you don't like in dallas. not a large complex building is getting run down

Advice to Management

not much to add doing a great job. new bulding and new computer systems to inprove cusotmers and employee job.

8. "Licensed Starbucks"

Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA

Pros

Working at the Starbucks in Hilton is great because the execs always walk in and they get to know you on a personal level. There's lots of room for growth.

Cons

The other departments get jealous because we get the promotions which creates a hostile work environment. Some execs aren't very approachable.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the union and some of the execs need to be friendlier and more approachable.

"Company Info"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

Great work environment, strong team members, technology is currently exceptional.

Cons

Change in culture, leadership team has extensive turnover, office move has caused new team members that do not have experience in industry.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee development and continue to offer educational assistance to employees, foster feedback and communications with team members.

"one of best companies I worked for"

Former Employee - Reservation Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Reservation Agent in Tampa, FL

Pros

care about their employees coaches were great

Cons

too many changes all the time I know that now they are trying to sell vacation resorts to people booking Hampton Inn this is so wrong

Advice to Management

listen to employees they are the one on the front line and know how the guest feels which will truly help

"Was a good learning experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Bloomington, IN

Pros

The Director of Sales was fantastic, and he taught me alot. The rest of the hourly staff was wonderful also and I loved working with them

Cons

The Front Desk Manager was very rude and luckily now she has moved to a different hotel. The GM left to.

Advice to Management

They were really nice over all, I think some managers need to treat their staff a little bit better though.

Showing 2,424 of 2,526 reviews