Hilton Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA

3.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It maybe hard to have a work/ life balance (in 83 reviews)

• Expected to work very long hours (in 135 reviews)

1. "Front Office Intern"

Current Intern - Front Desk Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Front Desk Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hilton as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hiltons worlwide has some of the nicest team members that I have ever been around. The workplace is very diverse, which brings in so many ideas. The program was productive and was laid out like a table of contents, which kept it very organized. It included webinars that gave me valuable information for my internship and future followed by midterm and final evaluations!

Cons

The communication between the property where i was employed and the corporate company that recruited me had below average communication. I was told from Hilton Worldwide that I had to find my own housing in San Francisco one of the most expensive cities in the country to find out a month before I showed up the property that the HR director offered me a complimentary room at the hotel for the summer.

Advice to Management

My advice is to set up a housing program for your interns. Maybe cut back expenses on recruiting and paying the interns and give them housing options and support them in looking for them. I would love to even help the campus recruitment team to enhance the program.

"Work Work Work"

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

25 PTO days. Big company. Travel benefits

Cons

No time for PTO or travel benefits. Responsible to make TM act good, responsible to make upper management look good.

Advice to Management

Managers are people too.

Apr 18, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We acknowledge that Team Members have responsibilities outside of work so we do what we can to help them manage these multiple demands... More

3. "Very Political"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hilton (More than 3 years)

Pros

many advancement opportunities
    salary is competitive
    team members keep you motivated

Cons

very political, no job security
    you feel replaceable
    processes change daily, no consistancy

Advice to Management

Value your team members more.

Aug 3, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and offering this feedback as we value your honesty. We are disappointed to hear that you did not experience the working dynamic as you had hoped and the one that we strive... More

4. "Great Hotel Brand"

Former Employee - Front Office Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Front Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of good People who will work with you and around you, great Brand to work for.

Cons

old thinking type management, lags as times on current trends.

Aug 12, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and provide feedback for us. We appreciate your comments and are glad that you enjoyed sharing and promoting our hospitality culture and vision. We... More

5. "Director"

Former Employee - Director of Rooms Control in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Rooms Control in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team....... That's about it in this area I wouldn't waste your time working for this company. There are many better opportunities out there.

Cons

Upper management is lost. They promote nothing but incompetent baboons. The GM is a nothing short of a childish baby that feels slamming doors and yelling creates results.

6. "It was better when Blackstone didn't own us."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union, Long term employment, Living wage

Cons

Peanut counters have castrated the management. Cuts have lead to deferred maintenance and poor back of house housekeeping. Managers seem unable to correct the situation. Moral is deterring. Line employees who once cared about quality, have submitted to realization that under this management, this is just a job.

Advice to Management

Walk around back of house. Renovations are not the answer, just clean up what you have.

"Mediocre Dinosaur. Limited Progression"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great opportunities to live and work around the globe if you're interested in relocating
    - Depending on which team you're in you may learn a lot
    - Half-decent benefits
    - Good for those who enjoy traveling for business

Cons

- Corporate team members are generally not best in class and many seem to have fallen into their positions without much real expertise, especially the marketing team.
    - Very difficult to make changes quickly as there are too many people, some of whom do the same jobs but are in different.
    - Male dominated culture with old-school attitudes (as you would expect in the hotel industry). Not forward thinking or progressive.
    - General lack of respect for female team members because the company is hierarchical and male dominated i.e General Managers, Hotel Owners, Senior Mgmt tend to be male and operate as if it is still 1982.
    - Terrible team member travel program. Completely pointless - just for show.
    - There is so much apathy within the company and so many people who are jobsworths, no real innovation is possible. Teams don't work in harmony with each other. There is a lot of distrust between hotel teams and corporate teams and also within the corporate side itself.
    - Not much career progression because of limited training and inward-facing culture

Advice to Management

- Put more female team members into senior management positions
    - Improve team member travel program urgently
    - Improve maternity leave and offer real paternity leave
    - Move away from old school culture and values to accommodate Millennials
    - Improve inter-team relations and trust
    - Look outwards, not just at what other hotels competitors are doing but at forward-thinking progressive companies with successful cultures and inspiring values
    - Offer external training programs to team members not just internal programs that are dated or inward-facing
    - Make sure all intranet systems work on Google Chrome and new web browsers and don't rely on old IE and old systems

8. "Hilton has always been a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is established, and large so there are a lot of training and growth opportunities (not to mention employee rates!)

Cons

The technology is getting a bit old, and needs to be updated to include basic things like cut and paste from the PMS, etc.

Advice to Management

Try to integrate your technology to avoid multiple passwords, links on the intranet to old intranets, etc.

9. "Get ready for the ride."

Current Employee - Banquet Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Banquet Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee perks, fun work environment. GM is amazing. Young managers, great relationships are made.

Cons

Corporate is only concerned with the bottom line and the service suffers. Executive Comity is awful, how they made it that far in their career is a shock. Money isn't great especially when you consider the blood, sweat, and tears you put in. 12 hour days are a low average of what you will work.

"Outstanding company with unlimited opportunities for team members."

Former Employee - Director of Sales & Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales & Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with rich history. Many opportunities for advancement from hotel properties to corporate offices. Training is available on regular basis for skill enhancement. First rate use of latest technologies to manage business units.

Cons

Very large company can make decisions less nimble than optimal.

Advice to Management

Allow property-level management ability to manage as entrepreneurs. This increased autonomy will enhance creativity, productivity, and moral.

Showing 13 of 2,899 reviews