Hint Water Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Company Review"

I have been working at Hint Water full-time

Pros

Great place to work. I enjoy being at a place that promotes a healthy lifestyle.

Cons

Need to be a self starter. Very little structure/direction given from management.

2. "Great place to work"

I worked at Hint Water full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you are a self-starter and ok to roll up your sleeves and get things done!

Cons

They lack of structures but overall it's a good place to work.

3. "Sales Intern"

Former Intern - Sales Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Sales Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Hint Water as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing team to work with

Cons

A little disorganized. A lot of driving to make sales to new territories

Advice to Management

Have more offices in different regions

4. "Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Hint Water full-time

Pros

Good pay for an internship. Lots of freedom

Cons

Occasionally communication issues with distributor.

"Worst experience in my career, including my paper route as a kid"

I worked at Hint Water full-time

Pros

They have a great product. The office is location is great and backyard meetings are standard.

Cons

To all senior marketers: please consider the following before taking a role at Hint. I worked at Hint for two months before deciding to move on after an incredibly disappointing experience. You will not receive a budget, which will limit your ability to plan. Your boss will be the CEO and the COO. You cannot have a meeting without both of them present.

You must ask a lot of questions in the interview phase about how they will determine success—and even then, it’s still a shot in the dark. I was told on my first day that two teams would report to me during the interview process… were no longer under my umbrella. I have written proof.

Even if the entire organization is reporting to you, beware: You will not be empowered to make decisions. There are no company meetings or updates from the CEO. Decisions are made via email. Time is spent on useless tactics with NO big picture thinking. You often are the last to know of changes—even your direct team will know before you. The CEO does not like decks (even 10 slides or fewer), long emails, or attachments, and she will rarely meet with you. But… she wants to approve everything. Yes, even email copy folks. When she does meet with you, she will be on her phone throughout most of the meeting.

Also, the CEO's knowledge of marketing strategy is limited, causing unclear direction. The structure created is to throw stuff on walls and see what sticks, which will not sustain growth. Measurement, strategy, and testing are all limited, and appreciation for all three is nonexistent.

The CEO will change direction, and she will listen to others before having a direct conversation with you. She will attack you via email without a conversation. She will already have a point of view formed before seeing your work, hearing your thought process and research. A good leader is diplomatic until they understand the full issue. She will tell you one thing then five minutes later, she'll tell you to do the opposite. Then, she'll blame you for not listening when the real problem is that she doesn't listen. She will also talk poorly about team members in front of other team members. My biggest advice is not to believe the online hype about this company. And if you want to succeed you will need to stroke the CEOs ego to stay on her good side. She is not ready to hear what her company can do better.

The hours are atrocious, and you only get ten vacation days. And you’d better show up before 9 a.m., no matter how late you stay. Creative resources are incredibly limited, and you'll get one maybe two days to turn creative. And they think this is a "long time." There is no design review process (even if you try to make one) and everyone has an opinion. This environment is impossible to succeed in.

How about a brand? There are no brand guidelines to follow. Hint has a product. The company has yet to develop a brand. Also, executives also have no patience for ramping up a team or for you to build out a high-performing creative team. Leadership does not realize that a) they don’t have a brand and b) building a consistent brand takes time. Creative is a discussion on what works/doesn't and a design review process allows for better creative in the future. They will not understand this. Collaboration is not a priority if something isn't working. And constructive feedback is non-existent.

In eight weeks, my team of two: delivered a company messaging framework for both product lines, on-boarded a design firm to build a brand book and briefed them, resourced an agency to do a proper segmentation, built a social strategy and implemented it, on-boarded a new production agency, built copy dos and don’ts, built a brand voice and personality framework, built a customer journey (CRM) strategy and began executing against it, built a new blog strategy and began executing it, built out an org chart that identified major gaps in the org and interviewed loads of people (no recruiters), built a new social media measurement dashboard (results lifted 100%+ in my 8 weeks—credits to my team—but leadership credited the improvements in performance due to "other things happening"), created 10+ seasonal campaigns (all performed above benchmarks), and more. I was told numerous times I was not executing enough without specifics after working 12+ hour days. They focus on the bad (which takes time to fix) and not applauding the team wins. They didn't want to hear my roadmap to ensure there was alignment on my marketing vision. They saw no value in how these "strategies" could give them substantially more revenue. And the CEO convinces herself that your ideas are hers, which I think she genuinely believes.

The team is junior—fantastic, hard working, and all will have excellent careers. I liked every one of them. But they need direction, and senior leaders will not empower you to give that direction. If you make a decision, the CEO & COO will quickly not support you on it. Leadership has enabled the young team to back-channel decisions made if they are not favored. And it works. Experience, strategy and actual results will not trump favoritism. It happened numerous times in my short employment. This doesn't create unity within the team.

Building a team-oriented culture will never exist in this dynamic. Leadership's job is to bring teams together not tear them apart, and I realized that I couldn't do that alone. Also, this place has an incredibly high turnover at all levels. My first week two people quit. One employee had been at Hint for two months, and they other had only been employed for six months. After someone puts in their two-week notice (including myself), they ask them to leave immediately. This proves their unprofessionalism. Then, for months following she will talk outwardly about how they were not a fit.

The COO is the only sensible leader, and he has a great marketing sense. Slightly tactical, but a good guy. However, he is also in the weeds with little time to be int he weeds, causing churn and making it impossible to succeed. In my nearly 15-year career where I've had nothing but success at big AND small companies, I've never seen such unprofessionalism. Hint is a 12-year-old company and they are no longer a startup. They need to start acting like it. If they don't change, they will continue to have a difficult time retaining top Bay Area talent, because there are so many environments that empower employees and encourage teams to work together.

Advice to Management

This is my first Glassdoor review, and the reason I'm posting this is to try and give you perspective. Your turnover rate is not normal, and you have affected the health of employees that have worked for you. And you refuse to look internally at how you are leading, but publicly point fingers. And then you post passive aggressive tweets such as this, "How you handle exiting your job says more about your character than what you ever accomplished -- and magnified to all who worked with you." Unfortunately, this is only telling a small part of the story. No one should stay in an environment that is affecting their well being when they work so hard to succeed, but you continuously tear them apart. My advice is to read a book or two on management.

6. "Great Company"

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hint Water as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hint is a great place to work if you are looking for a place you can make a real impact

Cons

The feedback loop does not always flow well throughout the company

7. "delicious product that helps people get healthier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hint Water full-time

Pros

I love wearing my hint-branded clothes because people will frequently stop me in a store or on the street to tell me how much they love hint, how its helped them get healthy and how much they appreciate that we make it. There are not a lot of jobs where the customers will pump you up that much. They really care about this product/brand.

Another great thing about Hint is that they promote from within as much as possible and the company is growing, so there's a lot of opportunity to stick around and grow your career here instead of having to switch jobs to move up.

Hard work and a great attitude are rewarded.

Cons

Its not easy selling water. Its heavy and retailers are not always familiar with the product or the idea of unsweetened flavored water (although that's changing a lot lately). Then again, that's what I'm hear to take care of.

Advice to Management

Don't give up until the whole world knows about hint.

8. "New England Sales Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Hint Water as an intern

Pros

Excellent product that is easy to sell. The company is very welcoming. Owners Kara & Theo are wonderful people and take the time out of their busy summer schedule to meet each and every intern. Lots of independence allowed in internship.

Cons

I was never notified that I would be using my personal car and driving for the entire internship. There is no office, all meetings among interns and managers were at local coffee shops. If you work better in groups this internship is not for you.

Advice to Management

Communication needs work on lower levels of management

9. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hint Water as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive team, they care about your career growth. Everyday was different.

Cons

Some days start very early or end very late.

"Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hint Water (Less than a year)

Pros

Good People, solid product. Price point is a little high and marketing (at the time) was still fairly unsophisticated.

Cons

Driving a ton, in store demos not the best. The van you have to drive around is a little ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Rather than street give-aways, target events and specifically charity events.