Hipcamp Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Hipcamp Reviews

Updated May 15, 2019

4.9
Hipcamp CEO Alyssa Ravasio (no image)
Alyssa Ravasio

"Awesome company filled with awesome people"

I have been working at Hipcamp full-time for more than a year

Pros

I truly love coming to work every day at Hipcamp. Everyone here is incredibly driven by our mission, friendly, hardworking and down to earth. There's a level of trust among the employees that I haven't seen anywhere else — which leads to a high level of autonomy and agency to get the job done. At the same time, I would say it's a very collaborative culture, with people from all sides of the business coming together... to shed a different perspective. I learn something new everyday, whether it's something related to my job or a new way to make frittata (yes, we cook often). Couldn't ask for anything more!

Cons

Usual growing pains of working for a small startup — things move fast and priorities shift.

Hipcamp2019-05-16

"Special place with the expected growing pains"

I have been working at Hipcamp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for a company that's genuinely trying to make the world a better place and connect more people to nature. Creating economic opportunities for small business owners, farmers, and landowners. Helping facilitate really wonderful experiences for people from all over the world. Getting to work with incredibly smart, fun, dynamic people who are continually learning from and respect each other. Treated like adults... who can meet goals, integrate our work & personal lives, and manage our days. Other perks: beautiful, dog-friendly workplace, discounts on Hipcamp stays, stocked lunch, fun company outings.

Cons

The typical growing pains you see at lots of early, growth-stage startups. We need to remember that while we're growing rapidly, we should constantly prioritize creating and adhering to systems that will support internal culture and career growth. Growth at any cost is antithetical to who we are.

Advice to Management

Failure is part of the learning process. Always remember what we're creating and why. Keep in mind all the different players in the Hipcamp ecosystem (employees, landowners, campers, prospective employees, partners, investors, etc.) and their varying points of view. Not all leadership looks the same (eg: loud, aggressive, grandstanding, cut-throat). Sometimes the most powerful leaders are the ones who listen,... collaborate, and raise others up. And lastly: don't let the haters keep you from doing your thang.

Hipcamp2019-05-10

"Great Place to Work! Growing Rapidly!"

I have been working at Hipcamp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mission driven, women founder & CEO, great time off and vacation policy, amazing new leadership team. 3 months parental leave, 401k setup, decent medical/dental, growing lightning fast, whatever snacks you want on demand, cool new office, hipcamp dollars to spend camping and then a huge discount after that.

Cons

Could use catered lunch or breakfast

Hipcamp2019-04-04

"Getting paid to do what I love- a dream come true"

I have been working at Hipcamp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture, the people, the vision. This is the future of camping in the US.

Cons

Division between original hires and everyone else. Can feel siloed at times. Just because someone came first doesn't mean they should be in charge of something, especially if they don't work well with others.

Advice to Management

As we grow, make sure to promote within. Lots of dedicated people who are excited for the next leg in their journey as a Hipcamper.

Hipcamp2018-12-12

""Awesome environment""

I have been working at Hipcamp full-time for less than a year

Pros

- So nice to wake up in the morning and get to work on something I really believe in, surrounded by people who feel the same way! Everyone is really passionate about the environment, camping, and creating access to the outdoors. -Inclusive and welcoming environment, with a lot of opportunity to collaborate. Have always felt that my voice here is heard! -We make lunches together in the office, with lots of... healthy options that stay stocked in the fridge. The office space is beautifully designed and decorated, and people bring their dogs in from time to time, which is really lovely. - Self care: We work hard, but make sure to care for ourselves so that we can be the most efficient possible. This means flexible work hours, ability to occasionally work remotely, and the option to take vacation without guilt from your coworkers when you just need a second to get away. -CEO (Alyssa) is readily available for employees of all areas to chat with, ask questions, and dream about the future of Hipcamp with, which is really inspiring and empowering. Don't know how she does it!

Cons

-None especially stick out, but if I had to list something, it would probably be the typical growing pains that small start-ups go through. However, it is fun and exciting to experience this period as a company as well!

Hipcamp2018-07-06

"Great place to be"

I have been working at Hipcamp full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing coworkers and culture. Everyone is excited about life and has varied interests that I enjoy learning about. From my POV, everyone is very engaged and excited to be here which makes for a very motivating and positive environment to show up to. - Fast paced. If something isn't working, we talk about it and make adjustments. This leads to me being involved in meaningful work that I feel very engaged in.... - Exciting mission - Getting more people outside and helping to keep land undeveloped? Sign me up. - Great office - full kitchen with lots of team cooked meals - much cooler and healthier than catered lunch. Rooftop deck with campfire pit. Kombucha and coffee on tap. Friendly dogs. Hard to beat.

Cons

Nothing that I can really think of that's unique to Hipcamp. It's a very busy time with lots of things going on, so it can be difficult to prioritize and get everything done that you want to accomplish in a day. But, that's also what makes it exciting.

Hipcamp2018-07-06

"Great Community"

I worked at Hipcamp

Pros

Amazing community Strong mission Passionate people

Cons

Land sharing is a volatile space

Hipcamp2018-05-18

"My third startup and my favorite yet!"

I have been working at Hipcamp full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Incredibly talented and passionate team! Everyone is dedicated to the mission, we are very collaborative, and everyone is very helpful. -An uncharted mission & forward-thinking product that you can really great behind and feel good going to work every day to fight for. We are doing so much more than making it accessible for people to get outside -- we are reshaping the way people use and think about private... land. Land sharing is so important for the environment, and Hipcamp fights for so much more than just helping people find campsites -- we help connect landowners who want to keep their land undeveloped with responsible, ecologically-minded campers; we can use recreation to fund the conservation of their land. -Flexible work hours and occasional remote work is completely OK. I have worked for companies in the past that have cited this as a perk, but in reality, they do not allow for this. Hipcamp is different; we are built on a culture of trust and autonomy, which means we are all there for the right reasons and trust in our co-workers to make the best decisions. -Gorgeous office with a fully-stocked kitchen. We cook team lunches together most days and enjoy many teams offsite and camping trips. -Inclusive environment, we believe in respect, empathy, kindness, and transparency. -CEO is very involved, attentive with a clear vision and really knows how to help support her teammates to succeed, and enjoy a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

-Not many I can think of, typical start-up growing pains, you work fast and wear multiple hats, but I find that very exciting.

Advice to Management

-Keep doing what you're doing, keep encouraging your employees to practice self-care and maintain autonomy!

Hipcamp2018-03-27

"Great product, incredible team, amazing quality of life"

I have been working at Hipcamp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working on a product that you're passionate about and that you feel is benefiting the world makes work a lot more rewarding. The team is so great to spend time with, and there are so many people that can teach you new things. The company is also incredibly supportive of what you need to be happy, and encourages you to adjust your work situation in a way that allows you to be healthy and productive.

Cons

Some areas of the company are still very new and going through growing pains / learnings- everyone needs to be very adaptable and eager to learn quickly

Advice to Management

Keep the culture strong- don't let it fade as we grow, ensure that we continue to focus on happiness, health, and wellness in addition to getting more people outside.

Hipcamp2018-03-14

"+3 years in, and every day is still exciting."

I have been working at Hipcamp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team — The people here at Hipcamp are all at the top of their class. Everyone is so thoughtful, inclusive, and driven in everything they do. It’s an absolute pleasure to be able to collaborate, solve problems, and just hang out together with everyone here on a daily basis. The mission — Everyone here truly believes in Hipcamp’s mission to help people find themselves outside, in nature, more regularly. It’s a... special thing to be a part of. The values — Hipcamp’s values are taken seriously. They are always top of mind, posted around the office, and are actively used to help guide us in our decision making from setting company strategy to writing social media posts. (Those values being: Experience comes first, champion inclusivity, hold each other up, push yourself, and leave it better.) The work environment — Hipcamp puts a lot of effort into creating opportunities and spaces for team members to give and receive feedback on a regular basis. All team members go through feedback training and regular checkins with their managers and peers. It creates such an enjoyable, transparent, open work environment! The perks — Free camping, community and team campout events, industry and gear discounts, FSA accounts, laundry in office, roof deck, communal gym in building, kombucha, cold brew, and craft beer on tap, fully stocked organic kitchen, w/ some great cooks on the team too!

Cons

We make mistakes — We’re still small, and learning as we grow, we make mistakes. However when we do, we take it seriously, and always use it as an opportunity to learn how to succeed the next time.

Advice to Management

The culture that we have crafted is a special, fragile, thing. We need to keep on-top of it to ensure it continues to thrive and grow as we do! (Leave it better!)

Hipcamp2018-02-15