Hire Counsel Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 8, 2018

3.5
Joan Davison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible hours, many projects to work on" (in 7 reviews)

• "Unfortunately, that's often not how things work with document review clients" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "No significant downside in working with Hire Counsel" (in 9 reviews)

• "Indicative of the industry, a work/life balance can sometimes be hard to maintain" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Hire Counsel full-time

Pros

Hire Counsel continues to expand its expertise in the managed review and specialized attorney sector. This is a company with strong leadership, a competitive compensation package with improved benefits. The company has a great culture which values and rewards hard work, team work and creativity.

Cons

Indicative of the industry, a work/life balance can sometimes be hard to maintain.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Good Position During a Transition"

I have been working at Hire Counsel full-time

Pros

Work is easy, pay is market rate, no pressure

Cons

Work can be mundane and not rewarding

3. "Document Reviewer"

Former Employee - Lawyer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lawyer in Washington, DC

I worked at Hire Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The project was interesting and the hiring law firm personnel were professional.

Cons

The quality and lack of professionalism of some of the other attorneys working on the project was horrible, I was verbally and emotionally harassed by another female attorney, who made the environment hostile to work in and I asked to be moved to a different working place. This attorney was constantly talking and not doing her work. We were working in a small office environment and she made it very difficult for the others in our small group to work. A few of the attorneys in the group weren't doing much work because of the talking and socializing, and others of us did so much more. It's easy to see who is doing work by checking with the document review software. Even document reviewers can do this. Also, doing document review in a closed space with no windows is not healthy.

Advice to Management

I'd really check to see who you are hiring. I know that I am a good document reviewer because I've received bonuses in the past and know that I'm good with the quantity and quality of the documents I review. However, there are many slackers that are brought in and it's a disincentive to those who really are doing the work. Also, there are some document reviewers who are notorious for causing problems with other document reviewers. I think you may want to have other doc reviewers fill out a short survey when they leave asking if there are people they'd want to work with in the future and those they don't. I was told by one of my co-workers that the person who gave me a hard time has a reputation for causing problems. I was advised not to engage with her, although she sat next to me and was constantly talking about me to the room while I sat there. One of my co-workers said I shouldn't have to work in a hostile environment. That prompted me to talk to HR. I changed locations and it was much better. But, it still doesn't make you feel good to work at a place when you are doing a lot of the document review and this person is wasting time and no one is doing anything about it.

4. "Legal Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hire Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great working environment and people to work well with

Cons

its only temp position

5. "Great staff!"

Former Employee - Document Review Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Document Review Attorney in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hire Counsel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It took years to get my first assignment, so consider yourself lucky when you get called....even if the project doesn't start immediately. Once you are called, being on time, a team-player and giving an honest days work will get you called again, over and over. The projects can be short or long term.

I worked at other document review companies in L.A. and none compare to Hire Counsel. Bernadette Savage and Sharon Secor are hard-working professionals in a tough, competitive and stressful industry who are, nevertheless, a pleasure to work with....just do your job and don't try to cheat the company. I never felt harassed or mistreated...which seems rare in the legal industries these days. I only left because I moved away and accepted a position closer to my new home.

Cons

None.

Most who complained were just not good fits for this type of work, but have no other choice. I just ignored their complaining and they seemed to washout over time with the more positive ones being retained. I'll miss the many lawyers I worked with, I met some very fascinating and cool people. Be prepared to work overtime to make big bucks!!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"No work life balance"

Pros

Benefits
    Commission
    That's about it. It paid the bills.

Cons

Sold a 45-50 hour week, turned into 65-70
    Management all seen disconnected from each other

7. "Renewal"

I have been working at Hire Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New Management Team, private company that can be quick and nimble to solving client challenges, change, renewed focus on all things that bring client and employee satisfaction.

Cons

Some people will never change!

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus. Lots of great and positive things happening. You can feel it. No one is ever perfect, but that doesn't mean you stop trying.

8. "Great team, poor management"

Pros

Good training, relative to industry.

Cons

Cannot trust the start date or length of project. Poor chairs, equipment, etc.

Jun 13, 2018 – Marketing Specialist

We're happy that you're taking advantage of Hire Counsel’s training resources and educational opportunities! We appreciate your honest feedback. It helps us to continually improve and innovate to... More

"Not a rewarding job"

I worked at Hire Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better than not having a job at all.

Cons

The worst work/life balance, toxic people, almost inhumane work conditions, very poor management

Advice to Management

There is a lot of people that are demoralized. There are also a lot of wrong people working there. If this remains unchanged the company will not survive.

Jun 13, 2018 – Marketing Specialist

At Hire Counsel, we encourage positive work/life balance and take pride in our document review centers, which are designed for comfort, convenience, and security. We value your feedback and will use... More

"Temporary"

Former Employee - Corporate Paralegal in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Corporate Paralegal in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Hire Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and accommodating employees at client site

Cons

Parking costs were not covered by Hire Counsel at the client site.

Advice to Management

N/A

Jun 13, 2018 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your 4-star review! We’re happy you had a positive experience at our client’s site. Additional costs for transportation such as parking vary from client to client, so we aren’t always... More