Hired Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Mehul Patel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • fun environment; intelligent, intellectually curious co workers; start up office feel; great work/life balance/integration (in 7 reviews)

• The best company that I've ever worked for (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains that all startups have at this stage (in 12 reviews)

• Career growth opportunities aren't very clear, and there's a weird policy in place for promotion opps (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Ever Been a Part Of!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working at Hired! As my 3rd company that I've worked for, it's the perfect balance between a large company and a small startup. Everyone genuinely cares about the career growth of their colleagues and it's a very open and transparent company. It's easy to learn about different departments and everyone is always happy to help you learn various parts of the business. It's the first role that I'm in where I get to be in sync with many different teams and this helps me succeed in my role. Upper management takes time to know everyone in the company and you feel like everyone is on a level playing field. Many executives have 1:1 meetings with everyone when they join the company, which makes you feel important and not just like a cog in the machine. It's a company where I've always felt valued for the work that I do.

Cons

Hired is a quickly growing company and that always comes with growing pains. Some people have taken this very harshly. If you are willing to accept the changes, upper management works with everyone on how to best accommodate them. Sometimes it seems like there is more transparency with some teams over others which I think may bug some people.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent with the whole company. Also, keep up the importance of constructive advice - I find it necessary to help me and others advance through our careers!

"Fantastic Business"

I worked at Hired full-time

Pros

Hired is working on a meaningful problem
    The organization is receptive to new ideas
    The organization is performing well

Cons

I personally enjoy high velocity changes internally. If you do not, then Hired is not a place for you

"Bumps in the road, but the concept is gold"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Actually disrupting recruiting and fixing long-time issues (transparency in hiring), efficiency, finding the right candidates. This concept is the future of recruiting and is not going to go away. We have a lot of copy-cats and are working hard to stay at the head of the pack.
    - The people! A lot of older favorites (who have been here 3+ years have been leaving lately, but that is common in tech). Don't be turned off by some of the recent reviews. It's been a bumpy year so far with turnover, but that is normal at this stage of growth. The leadership team is actively making changes to address the other reviews and I'm confident (as an individual contributor) that there will be a lot of positive changes over the next 6+ months.
    - Incredibly equipped and qualified leadership team has been built out over the past 12 months. It's only up from here and I have full faith in this leadership team to help re-focus the company on its goal: finding everyone a job they love.
    - Very flexible work schedule and vacation, the managers here honestly care about your wellbeing
    - The benefits are really good, base salary is slightly lower than at other companies for sales roles, but worth it now that we have commission
    - I love working for a company where I not only trust but also like our executive leadership. They are great people and I trust their judgement.

Cons

- With all of the changes and new leadership, there have been delays in promotions and career progression. The leadership team is very aware of it and to me, it is worth it to ride this out because I love the team and what we do.
    - A lot of middle management and newer leadership seem to be butting heads on the direction of the company right now. Middle (and OG management) need to listen to people who were hired for their experience and know how to scale the company. We have a gold concept and strong product and now just need to unify under a common vision to bring Hired to the next level.

Advice to Management

Please keep your promises about fixing our career pathing issues. Most of the people here love the company and their teams, which is why we stay even if it causes hold ups in our career progression. Don't take that for granted and make sure that internal promotions are a high priority over the next few months or you will continue to see turnover from valuable people.

Jun 26, 2017 – People Team

Thank you for your feedback! We’re so excited that you love so much about Hired! Thank you for your patience as we finalize some points of career pathing. If there is a certain growth step you’d like... More

"The juice is worth the squeeze."

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hired is out to completely transform job search--on both the candidate and company side. That's an extremely ambitious and transformative mission. Turning that ambition into a reality is freaking hard and isn't something that happens overnight. That aspect isn't talked about very often in some of the employee reviews on Glassdoor. As such, I wanted to provide an alternative, and hopefully more realistic, view of the culture and company. It should also be noted that although I know our HR team monitors Glassdoor ratings as a general employee/recruiting health metric, I was not asked to write this by HR or from anybody else in the company. Instead, I was compelled to write it after reading several posts from ex-employees who have had distinctly different experiences than I've had at Hired.

Pros:

- Product: our tech is solid and we have very strong product-market fit. We're still working on pricing and expansion into other geos and industries, but have the luxury of knowing that our product consistently delivers value to candidates and clients alike. We recently rolled out a new paradigm in the product called 'Positions' which should drive a lot of growth.

- Compensation and Work/Life: the company pays well and is flexible when it comes to working hours, PTO, etc. It can almost be too lax sometimes (there's not a lot of people working on the weekends or staying late in the office every night). That's mostly a good thing, but there also needs to be a shared sense of urgency at certain points.

- Perks and Benefits: great health insurance (100% paid), free lunches, snacks, gym reimbursement, cell phone reimbursement, parental leave, etc. There's no 401k matching yet, but that's because it wouldn't be prudent to do so until we're profitable. Otherwise, all the standard tech company perks are in place.

- Career Advancement: It's there, but not always fully defined. The latter bit (it not being defined) is what can throw-off a lot of people. Although the company has put in career levels and some semblance of career paths, the speed at which the business has changed has made formal career-pathing challenging. That said, I've seen that if you deliver on your core job and then go on to tackle/solve other problems, you'll be recognized and will grow and advance professionally. However, I can understand how that level of ambiguity can be hard for a lot of people.

- Leadership Team: 5 out of the 6 people on our executive team are new within the last 18-months or so (i.e., everybody but the CEO). This is exciting, but also shows the level of change that has taken place over the last couple of quarters. Leveling-up is a good sign, though. As such, I'm bullish on the leadership we now have in-seat, but am also realistic that it'll take some time for them to ramp/fully gel.

Cons

A few cons:

- Goaling/forecasting has been inconsistent at times. This is largely due to the shift in the business, but has definitely hamstrung employee morale at points. This is rapidly improving as we create a true FP&A function and get more concrete individual goaling in place. I'd say that this is normal for any rapidly growing/changing business, but can be a bit of an unsettling feeling for folks that have never worked in high-growth startups before.

- Consolidation to major hubs: the business moved from a city-centric model (where we had small teams of 4 to 5 people in all of our small markets) to a hub model (where most of our people are now in SF, NY or London). Although we're now at the tail-end of that transition, shifting where and how people work is never easy. And this was no exception.

- The e-team can be a bit risk-averse at times. It's certainly good to be prudent and make smart business decisions, but I'd love to see the company continue to take more big/bold bets.

All told, I'm extremely proud to work at Hired and am lucky to work with a ton of smart/ambitious people that are truly focused on the mission of transforming job search. It's not all roses, though. The work of building a company and category from scratch is hard. The next few years are going to be both fun and crazy as we scale the business from (basically) Software Engineers in SF to knowledge workers around the globe.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in current employees, up-level where needed, take big bets, and be transparent on strategy and vision in an authentic way.

"Software Engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Open and inclusive working environment
    Great benefits

Cons

Growth issue. Not always clear what are the career growth possibilities.

Advice to Management

Growth plans for each individual.

Jun 6, 2017 – People Team

Thank you so much for taking the time share your experience with us! We love that you are really enjoying your time at Hired as we work hard to create an authentic and inclusive environment. We... More

"Great Culture and Flexibility"

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexibility
    -Friendly Culture
    -Competitive Pay
    -Health benefits

Cons

-A lot of daily changes, this comes with working for a small start up but sometimes it can affect your day to day rhythm

Advice to Management

Continue to develop career pathing for all depts

"It's all downhill from here"

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In 2016, Hired was a great place to work. Smart, ambitious people. Good food and snacks. There were growing pains and management issues, but morale was high and many thought the company had a promising future.

Cons

The layoffs in January 2017 changed everything. Morale was destroyed. (Recent 5 star reviews are likely a PR stunt from HR.) Despite several assurances from HR and exec's that layoffs were over, the next few months saw dozens of high performing employees being fired without cause or leaving voluntarily with no job lined up.

Prospective applicants should see the mass exodus of senior level employees and talented engineers as a major red flag.

Additionally, many talented junior staff have quit due to a complete lack of career development opportunities. Hired boasts that they "support career development", but this is a lie.

The truth is that managers actively block employees from career development opportunities, and expressing any dissatisfaction to your manager or HR will very likely lead to your dismissal.

If you're fine with your career trajectory stagnating and watching all of your talented coworkers leave, Hired might be the place for you.

For everyone else, stay away.

The Hired party is over.

Advice to Management

Follow through on your promises to employees. Get rid of poor managers. Invest in your employees or all of the talented people will continue to leave.

May 30, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your candid feedback and being open with your experience at Hired. We strive to help every colleague at Hired to have an awesome experience and a job that they love, and it’s... More

"Good People, Struggling Management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired (Less than a year)

Pros

Hired has/had a very selective hiring process focused largely on pretty experienced folks. My coworkers were by-and-large talented, thoughtful, and insightful people, both about their direct engineering efforts as well as the product as a whole, and the problem of hiring. I really enjoyed working with almost everyone at Hired, but in the engineering org and the broader company.

Benefits and work/life balance were both good, and at least my team rarely felt excessive pressure around artificial deadlines.

Cons

High turnover, particularly after the recent management changeover (tail end of 2016) dragged down morale and robbed the organization of many of its most talented engineers.

The new executives are very top-down focused, and there's an emphasis on creating multiple, unnecessary management layers (3-4) between executives & ICs. Executives don't seem to trust people they didn't hire, and treat others' opinions (even from long-tenured engineering managers) as threatening.

Overall, the current direction in product engineering seems pretty old-school (lots of direction from managers, artificial deadlines, waterfall project management). Management frames this as a way to mentor & support career growth, but there aren't any internal growth opportunities, so it just ends up being micro-managey.

If that's the type of company someone wants to build their career, better to go someplace bigger and more stable, instead of a start-up that's having high-turnover and growing pains.

Advice to Management

Trust engineers and take time to hear their feedback without knee jerk responses or dismissiveness. Stop micro-managing and scheduling each engineer's work focus on a week-by-week basis. You have lots of good people. Focus on meeting their needs (and let them tell you how they want to grow), instead of trying to tell them what they should be doing or how they should be developing their skills.

Jun 5, 2017 – People Team

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Hired, and we’re so glad you enjoyed working with our talented team members, and your direct team.

While we did go through some changes... More

"Great culture and exec team, hard space to disrupt"

I have been working at Hired full-time

Pros

- great culture and benefits. amazing people ops team that really cares about everyone and making everyone feel like a family
    - lots of fun events and solid cross-team communication as a result
    - competitive base pay
    - commitment to improve diversity publicly and internally

Cons

- very sales driven company. not innovative. no centralized person at top with vision
    - leaders come from linkedin or outside of recruiting. no understanding of how to disrupt 3rd party agencies
    - very expensive to place candidate in new job
    - no clearly defined career tracks
    - not enough investment in individual contributor growth (but lots of lip service paid to it)
    - poor manager training
    - very little equity
    - very bad diversity on engineering

Advice to Management

Replace CEO. Mehul is great but we need a single visionary at the top that understands the product and can see the future of 3rd party recruiting agencies.

Jun 5, 2017 – People Team

Thank you for taking the time to give insight into being a part of Hired, and allowing us the opportunity to address some of your feedback. With respect to hiring leaders, this can be a challenging... More

"Game of Thrones"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the most intelligent and well-rounded people I've ever worked with. The PEOPLE are absolutely amazing (even though mostly everyone is gone from leaving willingly or the massive layoffs earlier this year).

Perks/benefits were always great too.

Cons

Layers of unnecessary management throughout the organization. C-Levels/Execs/Managers play the ICs like a game of chess. More politics than you could even imagine in a workplace. Everyone is out for themselves more than the good of the actual company. Very sad to see because the company was a great place to be at one point in time. Those days are definitely over.

Jun 5, 2017 – People Team

Thanks for your candid feedback It was great to hear your positive views on the people at Hired - we definitely agree!

We still have a large and strong team in place, but we did go through a... More