Hired Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Mehul Patel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • fun environment; intelligent, intellectually curious co workers; start up office feel; great work/life balance/integration (in 8 reviews)

• The best company that I've ever worked for (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains that all startups have at this stage (in 12 reviews)

• High growth is painful at points, but the company seems to have leveled out well to have multiple stakeholders in a balanced organization (in 5 reviews)

"An Industry Defining Company with the Best Still Ahead"

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In Hired's short existence, they revolutionized talent acquisition and introduced a business model that has since been replicated in industries far beyond Hired's primary focus of tech. Being a first-mover has its advantages and disadvantages, but the ability to learn, innovate, and build a durable, consumer-facing brand has been impressive. The growth and change inherent in carving out a new way of business has led to opportunities to innovate and create areas of responsibilities for those willing to take it, and Hired's commitments to great compensation, work-life balance, and diversity make it a great place to take your career to the next level. Hired's early alumni now serve in leadership roles at name-brand companies or have founded companies around the world and it'll be exciting to see what the current cohort at Hired can achieve, both inside the company and beyond. If you're looking for a place to fast-track your career, have an impact, and work for an aspirational, mission-led brand, I'd absolutely recommend Hired.

Cons

When you're a company that's literally writing a new blueprint for how things are done, you're inherently faced with ambiguity, problems, and challenges. For many, these are opportunities to make an impact and grow. But, more often than we'd like, people want the flash and excitement of being a part of a high-growth company without actually facing the hard work and reality that success requires. Hired's appeal and early growth led us to fall into the easy mistake of hiring people that, while amazingly qualified on paper, fell into the latter bucket. That group ultimately became an entitled distraction and Hired has since done a good job of respectfully removing the bad apples from the organization and resetting the culture. While the future is still full of unknowns and challenges, if you're the type looking to rise to the occasion it's an amazing opportunity. But if you're looking for predictability and slower pace, a less ambitious or a larger, more established company is probably a better fit.

2. "Great work environment at an impactful organization."

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, these were some of the most rewarding years of my career. Hired consistently gave me opportunities to explore new challenges, and pushed me outside of my comfort zone. There's a smart, driven team in place that allowed me to grow personally and professionally.

Hired is doing great work to help fix a very broken industry, and it's a nice bonus to see the impact that your hard work can have on individuals all around the world.

Cons

Like any startup, there's been bumps in the road, which has included some turnover across leadership over the last year to help correct for some misaligned hires. It's vital that employees take a step back and recognize that this is still a great company to work for and that these bumps are normal at a growing company at this stage.

Not a good environment for someone who isn't comfortable with change and taking ownership of things that are outside of the job description.

Advice to Management

Need alignment and inspiration from the new set of leaders. Continue to invest in your top performers and challenge them to grow and take on more responsibility as you take the company into this next chapter.

3. "Great autonomy, career progression, tight culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hired allowed me to explore and get my hands dirty across a range of roles within sales, marketing, and ops. As an early employee I was given a great deal of autonomy, and felt like a true owner of the company. Hired does a phenomenal job imbuing all employees with a sense of ownership, and recognizing those who work hard.

Cons

At an inflection point in being a new start up and a 'grown up' start up. Folks who have been at the company 3+ years are naturally leaving, and executive leadership will have to do a good job identifying and promoting a new set of trailblazers to take the company to the next level.

"Best Startup I've Worked At (Out of 5)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Hired for multiple years and personally grew exponentially. Consistently challenged in role and saw similar opportunities for team members across all levels. Transparent CEO who empowers, very high hiring bar brought in great people, and a laid back but motivated culture. Leadership set goals and experts determine the right tactics and solutions to achieve goals. Kept people accountable. I consistently hear from companies their product and candidate quality is the market leader and have seen multiple top tier startups using Hired as a primary hiring platform.

Cons

High growth is painful at points, but the company seems to have leveled out well to have multiple stakeholders in a balanced organization.

"The best and most "progressive" place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Marketing Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great community that empowers each employee.

Growth opportunities are readily available.

Come as you are, not as they want you to be!

Cons

Time. In due time we will be where we need to be when it comes to being on a global scale that will allow us to not just be in large cities but states and countries as a whole and not just the major cities.

Advice to Management

Keep diversity in mind all the time! Never change that aspect of the leadership team.

"Exciting time of growth!"

I have been working at Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, talented team, passionate about mission, transparent, encourages risk/learning...

Cons

Business is evolving and changing quickly. You have to be comfortable with change and the expectation is that you bring creative ideas/solutions to scale the business.

Advice to Management

Invest in cross functional processes - there is an opportunity to work better together.

"Fantastic Business"

I worked at Hired full-time

Pros

Hired is working on a meaningful problem
    The organization is receptive to new ideas
    The organization is performing well

Cons

I personally enjoy high velocity changes internally. If you do not, then Hired is not a place for you

"The juice is worth the squeeze."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hired is out to completely transform job search--on both the candidate and company side. That's an extremely ambitious and transformative mission. Turning that ambition into a reality is freaking hard and isn't something that happens overnight. That aspect isn't talked about very often in some of the employee reviews on Glassdoor. As such, I wanted to provide an alternative, and hopefully more realistic, view of the culture and company. It should also be noted that although I know our HR team monitors Glassdoor ratings as a general employee/recruiting health metric, I was not asked to write this by HR or from anybody else in the company. Instead, I was compelled to write it after reading several posts from ex-employees who have had distinctly different experiences than I've had at Hired.

Pros:

- Product: our tech is solid and we have very strong product-market fit. We're still working on pricing and expansion into other geos and industries, but have the luxury of knowing that our product consistently delivers value to candidates and clients alike. We recently rolled out a new paradigm in the product called 'Positions' which should drive a lot of growth.

- Compensation and Work/Life: the company pays well and is flexible when it comes to working hours, PTO, etc. It can almost be too lax sometimes (there's not a lot of people working on the weekends or staying late in the office every night). That's mostly a good thing, but there also needs to be a shared sense of urgency at certain points.

- Perks and Benefits: great health insurance (100% paid), free lunches, snacks, gym reimbursement, cell phone reimbursement, parental leave, etc. There's no 401k matching yet, but that's because it wouldn't be prudent to do so until we're profitable. Otherwise, all the standard tech company perks are in place.

- Career Advancement: It's there, but not always fully defined. The latter bit (it not being defined) is what can throw-off a lot of people. Although the company has put in career levels and some semblance of career paths, the speed at which the business has changed has made formal career-pathing challenging. That said, I've seen that if you deliver on your core job and then go on to tackle/solve other problems, you'll be recognized and will grow and advance professionally. However, I can understand how that level of ambiguity can be hard for a lot of people.

- Leadership Team: 5 out of the 6 people on our executive team are new within the last 18-months or so (i.e., everybody but the CEO). This is exciting, but also shows the level of change that has taken place over the last couple of quarters. Leveling-up is a good sign, though. As such, I'm bullish on the leadership we now have in-seat, but am also realistic that it'll take some time for them to ramp/fully gel.

Cons

A few cons:

- Goaling/forecasting has been inconsistent at times. This is largely due to the shift in the business, but has definitely hamstrung employee morale at points. This is rapidly improving as we create a true FP&A function and get more concrete individual goaling in place. I'd say that this is normal for any rapidly growing/changing business, but can be a bit of an unsettling feeling for folks that have never worked in high-growth startups before.

- Consolidation to major hubs: the business moved from a city-centric model (where we had small teams of 4 to 5 people in all of our small markets) to a hub model (where most of our people are now in SF, NY or London). Although we're now at the tail-end of that transition, shifting where and how people work is never easy. And this was no exception.

- The e-team can be a bit risk-averse at times. It's certainly good to be prudent and make smart business decisions, but I'd love to see the company continue to take more big/bold bets.

All told, I'm extremely proud to work at Hired and am lucky to work with a ton of smart/ambitious people that are truly focused on the mission of transforming job search. It's not all roses, though. The work of building a company and category from scratch is hard. The next few years are going to be both fun and crazy as we scale the business from (basically) Software Engineers in SF to knowledge workers around the globe.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in current employees, up-level where needed, take big bets, and be transparent on strategy and vision in an authentic way.

"Great Culture and Flexibility"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexibility
    -Friendly Culture
    -Competitive Pay
    -Health benefits

Cons

-A lot of daily changes, this comes with working for a small start up but sometimes it can affect your day to day rhythm

Advice to Management

Continue to develop career pathing for all depts

"Software Engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Open and inclusive working environment
    Great benefits

Cons

Growth issue. Not always clear what are the career growth possibilities.

Advice to Management

Growth plans for each individual.

Hired Response

Jun 6, 2017 – People Team

Thank you so much for taking the time share your experience with us! We love that you are really enjoying your time at Hired as we work hard to create an authentic and inclusive environment. We... More