Hired Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Mehul Patel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "fun environment; intelligent, intellectually curious co workers; start up office feel; great work/life balance/integration" (in 8 reviews)

• "The best company that I've ever worked for" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains that all startups have at this stage" (in 12 reviews)

• "High growth is painful at points, but the company seems to have leveled out well to have multiple stakeholders in a balanced organization" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Machine Learning Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Machine Learning Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Intelligent and friendly co-workers
    - Nice office
    - Benefits and catered food
    - Exciting market
    - Lot's of opportunities to make an impact

Cons

- A bit of growing pains but room for improvement
    - Tough interview process

Advice to Management

- Try to foster more inter-team events and communication

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We're actively changing the landscape of how hiring and recruiting is done at scale.
    Not afraid of making tough decisions and building new processes to go even further

Cons

A lot of the junior folks, while wanting change, can react negatively to it and feel overly empowered to make it known.

Advice to Management

Keep thinking boldly about changing a industry that's needed disruption for quite a long time.

"Manager's don't care about their teams"

I worked at Hired full-time

Pros

Interesting idea for a product.

Cons

The product hasn't evolved much, there's all this talk about being on a rocket ship, but really they just repeat the same things over and over and it gets tiring. Managers also don't care about developing their teams and HR never takes conversations seriously. Everyone has their own agendas. Promotes a really bad culture in the office.

"Struggling big time"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The concept is great and we are generally helping people improve their lives by getting better paying jobs and enabling employers to hire great technical talent
    - Pays wells for a start up
    - Outside of a 401k match has good benefits and perks like catered lunch 3x a week

Cons

- 0 product vision. A few new bells and whistles but it's essentially the same product it was 4 years ago. Nothing to indicate this is going to change anytime soon.
    - Below average to incompetent management, including e-team. What few good managers they have, all end up leaving within a year. Especially bad in the product and engineering orgs.
    - Uncontrollable attrition: outside of a handful of people that have been there 3-4 years, the average tenure of an employee is less than a year
    - Growth: for a company of our size we are not growing as fast as we should... and it's slowing even further. We are pulling out of markets and business lines and our core remaining businesses and markets are not making up the loss.

Advice to Management

- Hire real management talent including a visionary product leader. Get that person engineering leadership to pull off their vision.

"Not the worst company I've worked for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Salary
    - Good office location
    - Good lunch catering

Cons

- Micro-management
    - Perk cutbacks
    - 3 meals per week

Advice to Management

My manager micromanaged, telling us what time of day to do PRs and so on. One team member controlled code reviews and was a major bottleneck to production. Manager refused to do anything.

"An Industry Defining Company with the Best Still Ahead"

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In Hired's short existence, they revolutionized talent acquisition and introduced a business model that has since been replicated in industries far beyond Hired's primary focus of tech. Being a first-mover has its advantages and disadvantages, but the ability to learn, innovate, and build a durable, consumer-facing brand has been impressive. The growth and change inherent in carving out a new way of business has led to opportunities to innovate and create areas of responsibilities for those willing to take it, and Hired's commitments to great compensation, work-life balance, and diversity make it a great place to take your career to the next level. Hired's early alumni now serve in leadership roles at name-brand companies or have founded companies around the world and it'll be exciting to see what the current cohort at Hired can achieve, both inside the company and beyond. If you're looking for a place to fast-track your career, have an impact, and work for an aspirational, mission-led brand, I'd absolutely recommend Hired.

Cons

When you're a company that's literally writing a new blueprint for how things are done, you're inherently faced with ambiguity, problems, and challenges. For many, these are opportunities to make an impact and grow. But, more often than we'd like, people want the flash and excitement of being a part of a high-growth company without actually facing the hard work and reality that success requires. Hired's appeal and early growth led us to fall into the easy mistake of hiring people that, while amazingly qualified on paper, fell into the latter bucket. That group ultimately became an entitled distraction and Hired has since done a good job of respectfully removing the bad apples from the organization and resetting the culture. While the future is still full of unknowns and challenges, if you're the type looking to rise to the occasion it's an amazing opportunity. But if you're looking for predictability and slower pace, a less ambitious or a larger, more established company is probably a better fit.

"Great work environment at an impactful organization."

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, these were some of the most rewarding years of my career. Hired consistently gave me opportunities to explore new challenges, and pushed me outside of my comfort zone. There's a smart, driven team in place that allowed me to grow personally and professionally.

Hired is doing great work to help fix a very broken industry, and it's a nice bonus to see the impact that your hard work can have on individuals all around the world.

Cons

Like any startup, there's been bumps in the road, which has included some turnover across leadership over the last year to help correct for some misaligned hires. It's vital that employees take a step back and recognize that this is still a great company to work for and that these bumps are normal at a growing company at this stage.

Not a good environment for someone who isn't comfortable with change and taking ownership of things that are outside of the job description.

Advice to Management

Need alignment and inspiration from the new set of leaders. Continue to invest in your top performers and challenge them to grow and take on more responsibility as you take the company into this next chapter.

8. "Great autonomy, career progression, tight culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hired allowed me to explore and get my hands dirty across a range of roles within sales, marketing, and ops. As an early employee I was given a great deal of autonomy, and felt like a true owner of the company. Hired does a phenomenal job imbuing all employees with a sense of ownership, and recognizing those who work hard.

Cons

At an inflection point in being a new start up and a 'grown up' start up. Folks who have been at the company 3+ years are naturally leaving, and executive leadership will have to do a good job identifying and promoting a new set of trailblazers to take the company to the next level.

"Best Startup I've Worked At (Out of 5)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Hired for multiple years and personally grew exponentially. Consistently challenged in role and saw similar opportunities for team members across all levels. Transparent CEO who empowers, very high hiring bar brought in great people, and a laid back but motivated culture. Leadership set goals and experts determine the right tactics and solutions to achieve goals. Kept people accountable. I consistently hear from companies their product and candidate quality is the market leader and have seen multiple top tier startups using Hired as a primary hiring platform.

Cons

High growth is painful at points, but the company seems to have leveled out well to have multiple stakeholders in a balanced organization.

"The best and most "progressive" place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Marketing Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great community that empowers each employee.

Growth opportunities are readily available.

Come as you are, not as they want you to be!

Cons

Time. In due time we will be where we need to be when it comes to being on a global scale that will allow us to not just be in large cities but states and countries as a whole and not just the major cities.

Advice to Management

Keep diversity in mind all the time! Never change that aspect of the leadership team.