Hired Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 11, 2019

4.0
Mehul Patel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "fun environment; intelligent, intellectually curious co workers; start up office feel; great work/life balance/integration" (in 8 reviews)

• "The paid healthcare is a great perk, catered lunches are nice" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "High growth is painful at points, but the company seems to have leveled out well to have multiple stakeholders in a balanced organization" (in 5 reviews)

• "A lot of middle management and newer leadership seem to be butting heads on the direction of the company right now" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Best place I've ever worked! 2.5 years and going for 5+!"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best coworkers - Hired hires for people with shared values and passion for our mission. This is the first place I've felt I can bring my full self to work
    Great pay - Hired offers competitive base salaries and our new commission structure rolling out in Q1 is even better than before for equity
    Office - beautiful SF, NY, etc offices. I work remote now and feel very lucky my company is allowing me to do so!
    Inclusion - Hired gives tons of support to pay equity and building a diverse workplace. They give our ERGs fairly large budgets every quarter to put on events and drive important conversations with our coworkers
    CEO - I believe that Mehul is not only a great leader, but a really good person and this makes me happy to stay and grow my career here

Cons

Middle management in sales are mostly first time managers - all great people who genuinely care about their teams but I do wish for more experienced leadership sometimes
    As we've grown, not all our new hires are gems. I wish we would grow more carefully and gradually (i.e. not hiring 10 people for a new team at once who then have a hard time ramping)
    A couple of toxic people in leadership who have begun to negatively affect our newer hiring choices and office culture

Advice to Management

Hire carefully, not quickly
    Make sure your new hires are set up for success
    More manager training (not all successful ICs make great managers)
    Make sure to let go of toxic leaders - they are mostly amazing but the trickle down effect is really clear here as we are rapidly growing

"Diverse and Inclusive- a fun place to work!"

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Hired has one of the most inclusive and diverse workforces that I've seen
    -The company genuinely cares about the people that have a desire to make an impact and provides opportunity and growth for those people
    -Some of the most passionate people I've ever met work for Hired
    -Compensation is extremely generous
    -Benefit package is equally as generous
    -Interview process focuses on eliminating bias and is extremely fair
    - Values driven organization that doesn't just say that they're values driven
    - Product is moving in the right direction
    -Some really amazing people work at Hired
    -The environment and culture is both fun and hard working
    -Not a cut throat sales environment but one that values hard work and sales people that hits numbers
    -A very collaborative environment all around
    -Flexible culture

Cons

-Tons of change constantly which is both good and bad
    -Sales Leadership is largely inexperienced
    -Little SaaS experience amongst sales leaders
    -No 401K match
    -Sales organization is still establishing it's identity
    -E team has turned over a few times

Advice to Management

-The culture is going through some major shifts. Make sure to preserve some of the old in an effort to keep the magic that makes this place so special.
    -Executive and sales leadership specifically needs to get more in the weeds. The company is not yet mature enough to have leaders this far removed from the realities of what sales people are hearing from customers. Involve your selves more in the day to day of your teams/customers!
    -Focus on more diversity on the sales side of the house. You've done a great job of this in other aspects of the business but make sure to continue to focus on hiring folks with a variety of different identities, backgrounds and types of experience. Group thought will stifle Hired's opportunity for growth and innovation and this is happening more than ever before

"Good Perks - Lousy Leadership"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Catered lunch
    -Good benefits (sans 401k matching)
    -Company generally pays at the top percentile for non-engineering roles
    -Some ability to transfer to other markets
    -Some good people sprinkled about

Cons

-Utter lack of effective leadership, borderline incompetent to truly incompetent people managers
    -No true direction with product development and strategy
    -Close to 30% attrition rate, which is almost double the average and says a lot
    -Widespread lack of risk taking
    -Incredibly bureaucratic and siloed for a company this size
    -Company doesn’t advocate internal promotion until they think you’ll quit
    -Really lowered the bar on quality of hires over the past 6-12 months (surprising given how lengthy the interview process is here), particularly on the sales team

Advice to Management

Be clear and concise with what the product strategy and company identity are. Stop telling everyone how quick we’re growing when revenue is actually flat and our total employee count dropped until recently. Don’t be so afraid to take risks - you are in no way the market leader. The product has actually regressed and become way too focused on one niche instead of taking advantage of market opportunities to expand in any meaningful way. Stop protecting people that don’t contribute in leadership/management roles and work on fostering top performers who actually care.

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Machine Learning Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Machine Learning Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Intelligent and friendly co-workers
    - Nice office
    - Benefits and catered food
    - Exciting market
    - Lot's of opportunities to make an impact

Cons

- A bit of growing pains but room for improvement
    - Tough interview process

Advice to Management

- Try to foster more inter-team events and communication

"Sales"

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We're actively changing the landscape of how hiring and recruiting is done at scale.
    Not afraid of making tough decisions and building new processes to go even further

Cons

A lot of the junior folks, while wanting change, can react negatively to it and feel overly empowered to make it known.

Advice to Management

Keep thinking boldly about changing a industry that's needed disruption for quite a long time.

"Manager's don't care about their teams"

I worked at Hired full-time

Pros

Interesting idea for a product.

Cons

The product hasn't evolved much, there's all this talk about being on a rocket ship, but really they just repeat the same things over and over and it gets tiring. Managers also don't care about developing their teams and HR never takes conversations seriously. Everyone has their own agendas. Promotes a really bad culture in the office.

"Struggling big time"

I have been working at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The concept is great and we are generally helping people improve their lives by getting better paying jobs and enabling employers to hire great technical talent
    - Pays wells for a start up
    - Outside of a 401k match has good benefits and perks like catered lunch 3x a week

Cons

- 0 product vision. A few new bells and whistles but it's essentially the same product it was 4 years ago. Nothing to indicate this is going to change anytime soon.
    - Below average to incompetent management, including e-team. What few good managers they have, all end up leaving within a year. Especially bad in the product and engineering orgs.
    - Uncontrollable attrition: outside of a handful of people that have been there 3-4 years, the average tenure of an employee is less than a year
    - Growth: for a company of our size we are not growing as fast as we should... and it's slowing even further. We are pulling out of markets and business lines and our core remaining businesses and markets are not making up the loss.

Advice to Management

- Hire real management talent including a visionary product leader. Get that person engineering leadership to pull off their vision.

"Not the worst company I've worked for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Salary
    - Good office location
    - Good lunch catering

Cons

- Micro-management
    - Perk cutbacks
    - 3 meals per week

Advice to Management

My manager micromanaged, telling us what time of day to do PRs and so on. One team member controlled code reviews and was a major bottleneck to production. Manager refused to do anything.

"An Industry Defining Company with the Best Still Ahead"

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In Hired's short existence, they revolutionized talent acquisition and introduced a business model that has since been replicated in industries far beyond Hired's primary focus of tech. Being a first-mover has its advantages and disadvantages, but the ability to learn, innovate, and build a durable, consumer-facing brand has been impressive. The growth and change inherent in carving out a new way of business has led to opportunities to innovate and create areas of responsibilities for those willing to take it, and Hired's commitments to great compensation, work-life balance, and diversity make it a great place to take your career to the next level. Hired's early alumni now serve in leadership roles at name-brand companies or have founded companies around the world and it'll be exciting to see what the current cohort at Hired can achieve, both inside the company and beyond. If you're looking for a place to fast-track your career, have an impact, and work for an aspirational, mission-led brand, I'd absolutely recommend Hired.

Cons

When you're a company that's literally writing a new blueprint for how things are done, you're inherently faced with ambiguity, problems, and challenges. For many, these are opportunities to make an impact and grow. But, more often than we'd like, people want the flash and excitement of being a part of a high-growth company without actually facing the hard work and reality that success requires. Hired's appeal and early growth led us to fall into the easy mistake of hiring people that, while amazingly qualified on paper, fell into the latter bucket. That group ultimately became an entitled distraction and Hired has since done a good job of respectfully removing the bad apples from the organization and resetting the culture. While the future is still full of unknowns and challenges, if you're the type looking to rise to the occasion it's an amazing opportunity. But if you're looking for predictability and slower pace, a less ambitious or a larger, more established company is probably a better fit.

"Great work environment at an impactful organization."

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Hired full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, these were some of the most rewarding years of my career. Hired consistently gave me opportunities to explore new challenges, and pushed me outside of my comfort zone. There's a smart, driven team in place that allowed me to grow personally and professionally.

Hired is doing great work to help fix a very broken industry, and it's a nice bonus to see the impact that your hard work can have on individuals all around the world.

Cons

Like any startup, there's been bumps in the road, which has included some turnover across leadership over the last year to help correct for some misaligned hires. It's vital that employees take a step back and recognize that this is still a great company to work for and that these bumps are normal at a growing company at this stage.

Not a good environment for someone who isn't comfortable with change and taking ownership of things that are outside of the job description.

Advice to Management

Need alignment and inspiration from the new set of leaders. Continue to invest in your top performers and challenge them to grow and take on more responsibility as you take the company into this next chapter.