Hirsch Bedner Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2019

Found 92 reviews

2.7
Ian Carr and Rene Kaerskov
Pros
  • "MNC hotel interior designer is good(in 9 reviews)

• "HBA has high end, elaborate and luxury projects that can be very exciting to work on(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Designers seem stressed and work very long hours(in 12 reviews)

• "It's no secret that everyone in the industry knows about the "shelf life" at HBA(in 8 reviews)

"Great place to work, get inspired"

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time

Pros

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner/HBA Santa Monica office for over 5 years. Love the great projects that we are working on, very positive and cheerful team environment, a lot of opportunities to grow, and very diversified cultural background. Most of my colleagues tends to stay long and grow with the company, I think myself is a perfect example. The other thing that I really like about HBA is that there is no limitation...

Cons

There are time that you have to stay very late to meet your deadlines. Sometimes, you do have to work under the pressure as most of the projects have aggressive schedules. If you are not a big fan of globalization, this may not be the place to work. Many of the projects are overseas, you may not be able to see and touch the projects that you have worked on for 3 years.

Advice to Management

It will be great if the senior staffs can spend more time in training the Jr. designers. More transparent in the decision making process.

Hirsch Bedner2017-02-01
  2. "Good enough to be part of once in a life."

Current Employee -  in New York, NY

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Globaal, international project & people

Cons

Too diverse, not cetralized globally

Advice to Management

Nor much organized

Hirsch Bedner2019-05-18
  3. "Learned alot about different fabrics."

Current Employee - Interior Design Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can learn alot from people there. Everybody is nice and is willing to help you grow.

Cons

There is a sense of hierarchy which might be intimidating to a new person.

Hirsch Bedner2019-04-03
  4. "Junior Designer"

Current Employee - Junior Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hirsch Bedner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice projects Nice people Good opportunity for young designers

Cons

Lots of overtime (unpaid) Sometime even needs to come back during the weekends

Hirsch Bedner2019-04-16

"Unkind and short temper leadership"

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice projects. Travel and client opportunity only because they are so under staffed.

Cons

This review is for San Francisco office only. Everyone is so short temper and unkind, this applies specifically to young partner and associates. Young partner bad mouth other partners all the time in front of staffs. Poor Moral. Management acts like they are a team but they are against each other. A weak office who focus on politics and acted like big designers. Back stabbing happens even between management and...

Advice to Management

Review and appoint capable leadership who can stop producing poor culture and ill minded management team.

Hirsch Bedner2019-04-12

"Great projects but terrible office culture"

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to work on awesome projects.

Cons

Work hours are way too much for too little pay and now over time. The office culture is also terrible.

Hirsch Bedner2019-02-20

"Good resume builder"

Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I wanted to love this company as it sounds like it is going to be a great job, cool projects, and has a good reputation in the design world. This company will help your resume look good but it’s unlikely to be a long term fit. Most talented designers end up leaving after a few years for better pay, more exciting opportunities, and enhanced work environment.

Cons

Environment can be harsh, lack of gratefulness for talent, each person tends to feel like a number that can be replaced. While this is true it’s not a financially or company focused management strategy.

Advice to Management

Holding on to good employees by treating them well and paying them fairly/well for the work they do is actually a cost savings strategy rather than having a quick turn over and starting from scratch year after year. Design talent and training is an investment in the future and is something that will enhance the company if it is a priority.

Hirsch Bedner2019-02-13
  8. "Job"

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time

Pros

A bunch of really kind people. Really artistic and talented interior designers. Some ability to move to another office. This is only for the Santa Monica Office.

Cons

The cliques could be rather intense. Turnover is high. Disorganization and no discussion between offices. Bullpen style office making it really loud.

Advice to Management

Improve inter- and intra- office communication.

Hirsch Bedner2018-12-21
    • "Average"

Former Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of international projects overseas. Lots of teams with mixed style. Learn from different people.

Cons

There are hierarchies in the office. Projects are over-designed. Not great opportunities for young designers.

Advice to Management

Good management.

Hirsch Bedner2018-05-04
    • "In Transition"

Former Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hirsch Bedner full-time for more than a year

Pros

HBA has high end, elaborate and luxury projects that can be very exciting to work on. Many projects and international and if you are a higher level designer you will most likely get to travel. There is a high level of design and a beautiful athletic which HBA is known for and it will push you to design with elevated taste and delicate details. There are studios that strive to get projects in the US, which allow younger...

Cons

Many of the projects are international with the exception of a couple studios which strive to get work within the USA. Young designers are not given the opportunity for client facing experience or On site exposure which hinders their ability to grow.

Advice to Management

I have heard the office going through some transitions and if this is true I wish everyone luck in the process. HBA will forever be a design firm for luxury and high levels of design. May the organization and management support the younger generation and help them grow to become leaders.

Hirsch Bedner2018-03-13