Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Toru (Richard) Kamioke

1. "Working for Hitachi Automotive"

Current Employee - Plumber in Crab Orchard, KY
    Current Employee - Plumber in Crab Orchard, KY

I have been working at Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and plenty of overtime

Cons

You work a lot of hours and on your feet 10,12 hours a day seven days a week

2. "Hybrid Electric Motor"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Berea, KY
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Berea, KY

I worked at Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas full-time

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Pay is low. Lots of conflict of interest, being told to hire family members of management and supervision. If your not related to anyone, your direct management will set you up to fail so their buddies can move up.

Advice to Management

Follow the company rules and employee handbook.

3. "Titles really mean nothing unles you have made it above the lowest level."

Former Employee - Line Worker/Quality Control in Berea, KY
    Former Employee - Line Worker/Quality Control in Berea, KY

I worked at Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, you were cared for, and treated well. The Japanese were very good to work for you just could not understand them, they were the only people that knew the machines. The machines were worn, and sent to the states to get more ware from the product before the accounting department depreciated them down lower that they were meant to go. It was the Japanese way. Send machines to U.S. let them have have constant problems and a place to blame when the numbers were bad.

Cons

I got to be good friends with a few people, younger people. It started out being treated like and elder with some respect but because I had been around for a while, Management did not want my 2 cents, and that was fine. Its your,, you fix it.

Advice to Management

I think some of the Management was being moved out about the same time I had my health issue. Which is why I had to leave the company. My time standing has to be split with time setting, due to foot issues. Dr.'s are still in the process of trying to find out what is wrong with my feet.

5. "There is a reason they are always hiring..."

Former Employee - Machine Loader in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Machine Loader in Atlanta, GA

Pros

It is a indoor job that pays well if you want to pretty much live there.

Cons

Long long hours in a sweat shop like atmosphere.Don't go through the temp agencies they will hire you directly no matter what the temp agency says.The people all seem to be pretty much miserable who work there,but lie to themselves that it's worth it for the money.If you have a family or any life at all pass this place up.

Advice to Management

I don't think the management wants any advice,just warm bodies.

6. "Embedded Researcher"

Current Employee - Researcher in Farmington, MI
    Current Employee - Researcher in Farmington, MI

I have been working at Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to diverse teams from the Automotive world. Good and Efficient teams. Good inputs and support given to ideas.

Cons

No cons so far experienced at Hitachi.

7. "hitchi review"

Current Employee - Team Member in Berea, KY
    Current Employee - Team Member in Berea, KY

Pros

good pay flexible hours and good work

Cons

theres really nothing bad to say about hitchi

Advice to Management

to keep working hard and keep leading

8. "Hitachi Management isn't knowledgeable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berea, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berea, KY

I worked at Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good insurance. The dental insurance pays at 80%, most other companies only pay 60% or less.

Cons

Prepare to work over every day and the weekends, and if you're salary, you won't get paid for it. Management over supply chain didn't have knowledge of even the basics of supply chain. The manager came from the floor and was clueless about how parts were purchased and planned and inventory utilization. Despite having years of experience in supply chain, I was never listened to when I stated the problems and some possible solutions. They didn't want to hear anything that involved getting any other department on board with changes to make things better. Millions were lost because of scrap issues, but no one would address the problems.

Advice to Management

Stop implementing stupid, inane rules like no sleeveless tops and no headphones, that do nothing for an already abysmal morale. Start listening to people who know the problems and have real solutions about how to fix them.

9. "Production Planner"

Former Employee - Production/Component Planner in Madison, TN
    Former Employee - Production/Component Planner in Madison, TN

I worked at Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is great! Schedule great

Cons

Support from management, not! Overall, not bad for work

"Former Production Engineer. Terrible. Not even a good place to gain experience. (Georgia location)"

Former Employee - Production Engineer in Monroe, GA
    Former Employee - Production Engineer in Monroe, GA

I worked at Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefit package is top notch. Probably one of the best offered across companies.

You get about 3 weeks of PTO starting off (if you get to use it).

Looks like a reputable company.

Cons

Long Hours (you might get comp time but no OT pay). Not uncommon to work 60-70+ work weeks, with the option of working nights.

Communication and organization is very poor. Departments don't communicate with other departments and have a hard time communicating within their own department. Even if they are successful with communicating only certain individuals will follow through.

Pay is subpar. They are below the industry average and give low increases in promotions. You hardly get reviewed by your manager (none while I worked there) so you get a 1% pay increase for your cost of living raise. So basically no raises. You do get 2 bonuses a year, but basically it's a bonus that you don't refuse and appreciate, but it also shows how much they "appreciate" you.

There is a huge culture divide between the Japanese and the Americans, almost to the point where one group sits on one side and the other sits on the other side. They have started putting Americans in certain leadership roles, but it's still their way or the highway. If you want something done your way you almost have to do it and then ask forgiveness later if your way doesn't work.

Management is so top heavy that certain managers have to work on the floor, neglecting their managing duties. I believe most of the managers are just intelligent engineers who do not know how to manage or want to. But some do really try hard and care about their employees (mine was a good one).

Experience is lacking in many different departments and it seems they won't pay for experience and just rely on Japanese support.

Their are individuals who do a great job and their are individuals who do a good job and just need guidance.

Advice to Management

Embrace your American counterparts and train them so they can help you. The more they know the more they can help. This would improve morale and would help keep engineers their. Pay, knowledge, and experience gets good employees. In addition with respect, organization, comrade, will make great employees that will stay.

11. "production supervisor"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Berea, KY
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Berea, KY

I have been working at Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits, good pay chance of promotions

Cons

too many required overtime hours

Advice to Management

advance from within