Hitachi Consulting Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX Area

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hitachi Consulting President and Chief Executive Officer Hicham Abdessamad
Hicham Abdessamad

Pros
  • Work life balance and career opportunities (in 92 reviews)

• Develop relationships with great people (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance depends on project (in 27 reviews)

• New review process rolled out after 1 yr of development (in 23 reviews)

"Hitachi Consulting is the worst consulting company this 30 year industry veteran has ever seen. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

Pros

Hitachi Consulting is one of the worst consulting companies I have ever experienced. I have been working in the industry for over 30 years and the Hitachi Consulting leadership is some of the worst I have ever experienced. The morale at Hitachi Consulting is the lowest I have ever experienced. There is a massive gap between those favorites of the leadership team and the rest of the company. The region with the favorites are always promoted and the others are left to earn money and feed the salaries of those in the good ole boys club.

Cons

The leadership has no concept of how to create a team environment. Favoritism is rampant throughout the company with promotions based on personal relationships.

Advice to Management

Promote based on metrics and stop the discrimination, favoritism, and blatant disregard for actual abilities.

"Not good"

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good people
    Good clients
    Good training if you try to get it
    Good backing from an international firm who is on board with Hitachi being the global consulting arm
    Acquistion companies were fantastic

Cons

Terrible strategy going forward
    Everyone came here to work for one reason, now we are on another
    Focus on profitabilty a terrible message
    This is consulting - it is about the people
    Hemorraging people

Advice to Management

Focus on the people going forward. Very few people are on board with the strategy. Treat people right - you have not for a long time now. Make an acquisition and quit messing around - if your strategy is to be a $1B company then do it & quit pretending.

"The company is currently focused on growth at whatever cost"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Opportunity to become part of a fast growing company
    Opportunity to travel for consulting roles
    Opportunity to work with various technologies and industries

Cons

Extreme lack of diversity from the Executive Leadership down, without any regard to making any changes
    Priorties of "the firm" are the what you do (sales numbers, utilization), the how you accomplish is lower in importance - this says a lot about the culture of the company
    Mentoring is not considered a key contribution - it is expected, but it is not valued
    Technical training is not valued enough to set aside funding, the only way to get external training is if you find a project that can/will fund - thus you are limited to the technology of that project
    Promotions are clearly about who you know and not about what you do

Advice to Management

Until you value your people, truly value them, you will continue to see your strong performers walk out the door. Yes, this is to be expected from a consulting firm (as clearly stated by Phil Parr) - and yet somehow our competitors (those much more successful than HCC) have been able to identify ways to keep their strong performers and even add to them.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are talented and hard working people at Hitachi Consulting. You are paid decent wages and you are expected to work long hours.

Cons

The management team treats you like a commodity. Your opinions are not sought out. The management team keeps most of their employees in the dark. Layoffs happen quite regularly as Hitachi has trouble managing it's business . Don't expect to keep your job longer than two years.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs new leadership.

"Hired under false pretenses, talked to in a condescending manner, then let go."

Current Contractor - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Facilities are top notch, IT system and department is quality.

Cons

Underdeveloped training within the HR department, management is ill equipped to lead, let alone manage. Instruction for new hires is non existient. Inconsistiency regarding the QA/QC of individual work.

Advice to Management

I applied for an HR Business Partner position. I have 7 years of HR experience, iincluding Supervisory and Sr. Managerial/SME experence supporting over 6000 employees at over 30 locations. After interviewing several times I was "the ideal candidate for a different position" and hired as an Sr. HR Specialist. Coming in I was told that my primary responsibilities would be to write processes for our routine HR reporting. Once I got here I was given a share drive full of reports, notes described as process documents and told to figure them out. After two months of my three month temp position I was able to reverse engineer the reports and determine how they were ran. I started working here in July, out of the 19 reports due each month, 13 of them had not been completed since April. Why? Because the only person who knew how to run them was the person I replaced. My counterparts had no knowledge, my manager didn't have a clue how any of them were ran. No big deal.
    While having to figure out how to run these reports, I was also now responsible for running the reports. The ultimate goal was to have our outsourced office in India take these reports over. Unfortunately, they lack the minimal skill required fo manipulate a simple spreadsheet.
    Come October, I'm told that they cannot hire me on full time, but would extend my temp status. I am now a Salaried, Exempt employee in a temp position, so I am not afforded PTO or Holiday pay, which Im' currently investigating with the DOL to ensure legality.
    Come the end of October, I'm then told that I would be let go December 21st, and recieved complaints that it took so long to iron out the issues with their reports. Reports that no one else knows how to run, let alone write process documents for.
    I'm disappointed as I do enjoy the work enviornment of the company as a whole, they are very much into volunteering and do alot of events for company morale. Unfortunately, the HR department here is in a bad way. I come from larger companies that support 10 times as many employees and while it was hectic, the knowledge base was there.
    If you are an HR professional looking for a worthwhile position, look elsewhere.

p.s. the person they hired for the HRBP position instead of me left the company a month ago. I don't know if it was by choice or by force. Other HR staff have either been laid off for budgetary reasons or have just moved to other departments; so its safe to say the issues are systemic.

7. "Professionalism"

Former Employee - Manager, Oracle Soluitions in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager, Oracle Soluitions in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hitachi works hard at presenting a very professional face.

Cons

When on a job, the team i worked with did far too much drinking and was quite clickish. Sustaining billing through agreeing with questionable decisions will always come back to bite you.

Advice to Management

To be professional, act professional at all times!

"Going through bad times"

Current Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager, Specialized Services in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great project team
    Limited travel
    No big protocols like major companies
    Easy to get promoted
    Easy to work with all the colleagues

Cons

No strong pipeline ,layoffs are being done currently
    New CEO does not understand consulting business
    Oracle practice which generates 40% of the revenue is in losses for last 3 years
    Long hours on projects,very less recognition

Advice to Management

Please don't hire for short term projects,we are getting a lot of bad publicity due to this

"Very eat or get eaten culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job for which I received a paycheck.

Cons

I found it to be an extremely toxic environment. Common phrase used was that this was a "churn and burn" culture. I preferred to work in a strong team culture, which is why I decided to move on to another company.

10. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits and work schedule

Cons

Limited clarity of roles and responsibilities, low based salary and no bonus, lack of understanding of the operations management consulting model (including what it takes to achieve results/deliverables)

Advice to Management

You destroyed our Celerant culture...and probably forgot that a Consulting company success is heavily depended on the people.

Hitachi Consulting Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take these issues very seriously and we are always looking for ways to improve our work environment. Glassdoor reviews are anonymous but If ... More

"Expert In, Assistant Out"

Former Contractor - Senior Sharepoint Developer/Administrative Assistant in Garland, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Hitachi is a well known company.

Cons

Once you're on a project, they do not provide any assistance to the consultant. Their concern is only the company and number of contractors they can place there. They lie about project work requirements, so you'll go in expecting to work based on the provided requirements. You may end up doing something completely different than your expertised line of work. They also do third party and do not find the consultants. Therefore, the rate is cut, so all parties get a share. If you voice your concerns too much, they'll be quick to cut your contract by any means necessary, including bold faced lies.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep your clients happy, then you need to keep the consultants happy, to drop your high turnover. Hence, the reason why large clients continue to replace you with better vendors.