Hitachi Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hitachi Consulting President and Chief Executive Officer Hicham Abdessamad
Hicham Abdessamad

Pros
  • Work life balance and career opportunities (in 92 reviews)

• Develop relationships with great people (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance depends on project (in 27 reviews)

• New review process rolled out after 1 yr of development (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great consulting firm"

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

Work life balance and career opportunities

Cons

I don't see any cons

"Limited Career Growth Opportunities"

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, people are smart

Cons

Technologies and overall company feeling is dated
    Company does a joke job of addressing sexual harassment, makes offenders watch a training video as punishment, its shameful
    Company is creating "solutions" that no one seems to know anything about, very uncertain how employees will keep their jobs
    Only opportunities are in technical roles or technical PM roles

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees, don't hire business analysts and expect them to be content doing admin work
    Investigate sexual harassment claims

Mar 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

We’re sorry your experience was anything but positive. A lot has shifted at Hitachi Consulting but what hasn't changed is that we take harassment claims of any type seriously and conduct a full ... More

"Lost, Confused & Has No Direction"

Former Employee - Core Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Core Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Pay: Pay grade is good for new college graduates with no experience. However in the long term, raises are rare.

Cons

1. Lack of Direction: The company overall suffers from a lack of direction all the way from top executives to VP's in different regions. In particular, the company has no long term planning around diversifying its portfolio with clients. Especially in the Seattle office, there is a strong, and unhealthy, dependence on major clients that consistently bring in large contracts for VP's but gives consultants mediocre, uninteresting work. On most occasions, these contracts are simply staff augmentation work - which provides no real challenge to consultants who wants to learn and grow their skills.

2. No Clear Processes: The company has no clear processes for many things, but in particular, its process around staffing consultants that are on the bench. Speaking to my experience, trying to get on a project while being on the bench was a confusing and humiliating process. When consultants are on the bench, they were encouraged to connect with a HR resource that works in the Dallas headquarter that has no relationship with the consultant and has no interest in growing their career or staffing them in a role that they are interested in. Consultants at Hitachi are often forced to compete with each other for projects - in particular, I can recall an experience where I was told from a VP that I was the top contender for a project, only to be left out of the communication and told afterward that another consultant was picked. During this time, the VP and PM had conversations with the other consultant that was picked in front of me, giving them tips on how to ace the interview with the client, without bothering to communicate to me about the decision. It was extremely disrespectful and offensive to me after being told that I would be given the opportunity to be staffed on the project.

3. No Company Culture: The company does not make investments into building its company culture. There are standard events that are organized by core consultants, but management makes no effort to build relationships with their employees. Most consultants still at the company are already interviewing for other jobs - the culture and politics is extremely toxic and morality is low.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Develop better processes for consultants on the bench. Pay attention to the long term direction of your company. Stop being blindsided by the bonuses from your sales with major clients - in the long run, you will run out of those projects and your employees will leave you because you don't value their interests or growth.

Mar 20, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. We have shared your viewpoints to the Leadership team. We appreciate the time you have taken to articulate your experience and will use it to find ways ... More

"Core Consultant"

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

Good Company Culture and collaborative environment

Cons

Leadership direction not clear, compensation lacking

Mar 15, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Hitachi Consulting is committed to creating a beneficial, transparent and collaborative environment for all employees, so it is disappointing to ... More

"Get your act together and focus"

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My immediate "career advisor" is awesome Work from home Flexibility. I think they want to be better, but are just having a really hard time getting there. The offices are nice.

Cons

My immediate "career advisor" works very hard to insure we are happy and productive. Unfortunately her hands are tied. The corporate strategy is all over the board. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. The social innovation vision has not come to reality and they do not have any team in place to truly support any vision. There is no sales strategy or direction. The internal processes are completely broken. It's very difficult to get anything done systems. Horrible on boarding and unproductive. Lack of leadership that will be held accountable. Lots of layoffs, but not enough from the senior leaders that have been making the mistakes.

Advice to Management

First things first. If you're going to be One Hitachi, merge. It's ridiculous. We are competing against each other all the time. Hire leaders that have clear expectations and get things done. Too much managing up.

7. "Senior Manager"

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

Supportive team environment. Projects are usually long term

Cons

Not enough consultants with required experience.

8. "Company has changed over time, needs improvement"

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are several contracts with well-known companies. The work can be interesting, depending on the project. The people are nice to work with.

Cons

Senior management is driving towards certain goals while losing some of the nice culture that made HCC a good place to work. More projects are requiring travel.

Mar 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thanks for sharing your feedback. The caliber of our company culture is important to us, so it is disappointing to hear about some of your experiences. Thank you for taking time to articulate your ... More

"4 Stars"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-People
    -Work/life balance is achievable
    -Clear career progression path

Cons

-New focus on variable comp but payouts are unlikely
    -Lots of turnover

Advice to Management

-Incentivize people to stay

"Changing landscape"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was a great place to work until they changed from consulting to product company

Cons

Ran out of steam, major layoffs in October. Still struggling good people are looking to leave.

Advice to Management

Do better planning. Laying off new employees within 1 month of starting does not bode well.

"Strategy is to scare off high performers"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Develop relationships with great people
    Projects are interesting and provide personal growth opportunities
    Work/life balance good if you want to travel

Cons

New "pay for performance" plan doesn't pay and provides perverse incentives
    Leadership & HR out of touch
    Shift to solutions hemorrhaging money, no visibility into path to viability
    Probably hamstrung by oversight from Japan

Advice to Management

Admit defeat and sell to a competitor or give up on growth and focus on strengths in specialized areas that actually make money and have very talented people