Hitachi Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hitachi Consulting President and Chief Executive Officer Hicham Abdessamad
Hicham Abdessamad

Pros
  • Work life balance and career opportunities (in 95 reviews)

• Develop relationships with great people (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance depends on project (in 27 reviews)

• Their yearly review process takes too much time and didn't seem to be very effective (in 23 reviews)

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- young office filled with excited people
    - Fortune 500 clients
    - great work/life balance depending on your client/project
    - good salary for new college hires

Cons

- management is overly optimistic
    - culture is cliquey
    - company had recent layoffs and everyone seems to be jumping ship including VPs
    - lack of strong direction from CEO
    - few project opportunities - you don't get much choice in which project you're on
    - lack of diverse client base
    - middle management can be immature and petty

Advice to Management

- remove toxic project managers and directors
    - hire stronger VPs
    - develop client base

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Project to have started my consulting career with. Lots of challenges for resources to shine, especially if you are in mid senior level and working with client and offshore. Amazing synergy with technology partners like Oracle. Lots of opportunities to present and speak with Signature events like Open World and Cloud day.

Cons

I worked in hitachi close to 15 months. I was brought in as Manager to lead an ADF implementation, in a project that was almost unsure of go live. We had a great manager and VP. We took the challenge and worked days and nights to make this project a success and we had more SOWs signed. Unfortunately thats when things started going down. We had more VPs and Directors assigned to the account and things really went spirally down for those who worked. I had a lot of credit assigned to me during the course of things. My existing manager had left and new managers and mentors came in. The moment GARM came, all my credits were taken and assigned to others who hardly contributed, just because I had enough credits to get promotion and others needed it for their promotion. Seriously ?? I tried to stand my ground and it reflected on my rating as I was construed to be arguing with my new manager. I was asked to make a compromise and promised to be taken care of in the later years. Now with all that said, the performance rating and the credit system is just a joke behind the scenes. The management can promote and bring up who they want to by stealing others credits and accomplishments and make things look normal to top management. I quit hitachi without waiting for my promotion or bonus, although many in my management tried to convince me. I was happy to be part of implementation, but very unhappy with the politics played by the middle management. I felt it was unethical.

Advice to Management

Many projects are top heavy, resources on the ground who are doing the heavy lifting are rationalized, but I cant say the same about the number of managers. Some managers don't even know how to assess employees on the merit of work done. Many managers on the ground don't even know what the technology is about.

Hitachi Consulting Response

Apr 18, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We have shared your viewpoints to the Leadership team. We appreciate the time you have taken to articulate your experience and will use it to find ways to improve ... More

"Lost, Confused & Has No Direction"

Former Employee - Core Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Core Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Pay: Pay grade is good for new college graduates with no experience. However in the long term, raises are rare.

Cons

1. Lack of Direction: The company overall suffers from a lack of direction all the way from top executives to VP's in different regions. In particular, the company has no long term planning around diversifying its portfolio with clients. Especially in the Seattle office, there is a strong, and unhealthy, dependence on major clients that consistently bring in large contracts for VP's but gives consultants mediocre, uninteresting work. On most occasions, these contracts are simply staff augmentation work - which provides no real challenge to consultants who wants to learn and grow their skills.

2. No Clear Processes: The company has no clear processes for many things, but in particular, its process around staffing consultants that are on the bench. Speaking to my experience, trying to get on a project while being on the bench was a confusing and humiliating process. When consultants are on the bench, they were encouraged to connect with a HR resource that works in the Dallas headquarter that has no relationship with the consultant and has no interest in growing their career or staffing them in a role that they are interested in. Consultants at Hitachi are often forced to compete with each other for projects - in particular, I can recall an experience where I was told from a VP that I was the top contender for a project, only to be left out of the communication and told afterward that another consultant was picked. During this time, the VP and PM had conversations with the other consultant that was picked in front of me, giving them tips on how to ace the interview with the client, without bothering to communicate to me about the decision. It was extremely disrespectful and offensive to me after being told that I would be given the opportunity to be staffed on the project.

3. No Company Culture: The company does not make investments into building its company culture. There are standard events that are organized by core consultants, but management makes no effort to build relationships with their employees. Most consultants still at the company are already interviewing for other jobs - the culture and politics is extremely toxic and morality is low.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Develop better processes for consultants on the bench. Pay attention to the long term direction of your company. Stop being blindsided by the bonuses from your sales with major clients - in the long run, you will run out of those projects and your employees will leave you because you don't value their interests or growth.

Hitachi Consulting Response

Mar 20, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. We have shared your viewpoints to the Leadership team. We appreciate the time you have taken to articulate your experience and will use it to find ways ... More

5. "It's OK"

Current Employee - Director, Consulting Services in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director, Consulting Services in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, but most companies are the same.

Cons

Dysfunctional. Sales support process is clumsy.

"Misery Loves This Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

No micromanagement.
    Tons of downtime.
    Offices are well funded with snacks, drinks, and decent furniture.

Cons

Extreme waste everywhere.
    Everyone is miserable.
    Layoffs abound.

Advice to Management

Burn it down and start over.

"Layers and layers of waste"

Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very organized as a corporation. Everything is ready for you on our first day, processes work. People are experienced and have the technical chops they need for the job.

Cons

Very organized as a corporation... Too much so. There are several layers of people everywhere you look, and hierarchy is paramount to them. Everyone thinks highly of his or herself - "I am a VP"... "I am a SENIOR VP"... "I am an EXECUTIVE SENIOR GLOBAL VP"... you catch my drift?
    You end up stumbling upon too many people, you never know who actually should be engaged with your work.

Help is minimal. You are supposed to get in, magically find out who you need to talk to, and make things happen from thin air. Team work is little (at least in Sales). People want to make their quota, earn their commission, at the expense of doing what is right for the company.

There could be much more being done if they revamped their commission structure to allow people to collaborate, and reduced the number of employees by a third. There would be no impact on the work being done, but a good boost to the bottom line.

Advice to Management

* Take a hard close look at how many people you have in all your different levels.
    * Reorganize your structure to facilitate sales, and not to hinder them.
    * Cross functional sales should be promoted and rewards shared equally (I am looking at you, Oracle and SAP folks that do not involve Cloud and AMS teams into your pursuits).
    * For god's sake, get rid of Oracle time and expense reporting. It is the most time consuming thing I have ever seen

"Not worth it, other options in the Seattle area"

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So many of the people at the manager level and below are amazing
    Pay is pretty good for those straight out of college, and they are making an effort to align better with industry standards
    Depends on the manager, but while you are on a local projects the work life balance is pretty good

Cons

You will be told you don't have to travel. This is NOT true, due to MSFT's 18 month rule you will be traveling at least 6 months out of every two years.
    The political landscape is pretty much ruled by a few very immature and very vindictive managers, directors, and VPs
    The review process is extremely opaque and not based on project success or ability
    Little to no opportunity to advance outside of the annual cycle
    Huge management turnover
    Very little client diversity
    Very few management consulting opportunities available
    HR is out of Texas and is terrible - doesn't keep anything confidential, doesn't follow up on any complaints
    Technology consulting but the technology available to employees is ancient

Advice to Management

If people are leaving your company in droves to avoid working for the same abusive senior employee, that employee isn't worth it, no matter how much money they bring in. Be up front about the travel requirements during the recruiting process. Focus more energy on getting work outside of Microsoft. Change your HR department so that they are actually legally compliant. Don't recruit people who are uninterested in technology as there are so few other opportunities available.

"Lost"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Hitachi Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Got Paid, decent but not great benefits

Cons

Got lost, they wanted me to learn a new software that I had no interest in. Had 20 plus years of experience with one ERP. No bonus, extremely non-value added review process. It wasn't the work that you did but the perception of the work you did that counted, whether you did it well had no bearing.

Advice to Management

More focus better pay.

"Doesn't Live Up to Promises"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and intelligent co-workers who are willing to collaborate and share knowledge. A lot of diverse and high visibility projects with big clients like Microsoft. Many opportunities to get involved on internal projects. Great starting job for undergraduate campus hires trying to build their technical or leadership skills.

Cons

Training quality is poor and only available through a third party online service or by knowledge sharing workshops from internal employees. No reimbursement for certification or education done outside of the company. Some senior level employees tend to play favorites which can create cliques among lower level employees. Annual/project reviews are time consuming and a hassle for everyone involved. HR based out of Dallas was difficult and unprofessional when negotiating my offer. Compensation is 15-20% less than comparable positions at other consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees better and don't rely on the work/life balance argument. The work at Hitachi is still demanding and does not justify a 15-20% lower compensation than other firms. Management doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that lower compensation has led to higher turnover this year. Get rid of annual reviews as they are not very helpful and seem to be a big time suck for everyone. Improve training and certification opportunities for employees. Consider bringing in professional trainers instead of relying on internal people to train and share knowledge. Set up more 1 on 1 time with lower level employees to get honest feedback.

11. "Director of Business Development"

Former Employee - National Director of Business Development in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong relationships with the office of the CIO

Cons

Doesn't provide business solutions, only technology solutions