Hitachi Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Hitachi Consulting President and Chief Executive Officer Hicham Abdessamad
Hicham Abdessamad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance depends on project (in 28 reviews)

• Their yearly review process takes too much time and didn't seem to be very effective (in 24 reviews)

"unless desperate move on"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

Pros

good place to start if you're coming out fo college but not for Sr Consultant. They have a nice benefits package, which is good for those that need it. Great Health benefits.

Cons

poor managment, poor communication, impossible to get people to do their jobs correctly. The management and recruiting team is not technical even close to enough to understand their own consultants and clients' needs. They don't review their consultants skill sets to better place them for growth of the company or growth of the consultant. Efforts should be taken from the top down to reduce turnover and keep consultants on staff that actually know their skill sets not fake them.

Advice to Management

communicate better and base reviews and promotions on skill set and performance not time spent in a position.

"Hitachi Consulting is the worst consulting company this 30 year industry veteran has ever seen. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

Pros

Hitachi Consulting is one of the worst consulting companies I have ever experienced. I have been working in the industry for over 30 years and the Hitachi Consulting leadership is some of the worst I have ever experienced. The morale at Hitachi Consulting is the lowest I have ever experienced. There is a massive gap between those favorites of the leadership team and the rest of the company. The region with the favorites are always promoted and the others are left to earn money and feed the salaries of those in the good ole boys club.

Cons

The leadership has no concept of how to create a team environment. Favoritism is rampant throughout the company with promotions based on personal relationships.

Advice to Management

Promote based on metrics and stop the discrimination, favoritism, and blatant disregard for actual abilities.

"Not good"

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good people
    Good clients
    Good training if you try to get it
    Good backing from an international firm who is on board with Hitachi being the global consulting arm
    Acquistion companies were fantastic

Cons

Terrible strategy going forward
    Everyone came here to work for one reason, now we are on another
    Focus on profitabilty a terrible message
    This is consulting - it is about the people
    Hemorraging people

Advice to Management

Focus on the people going forward. Very few people are on board with the strategy. Treat people right - you have not for a long time now. Make an acquisition and quit messing around - if your strategy is to be a $1B company then do it & quit pretending.

"The company is currently focused on growth at whatever cost"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Opportunity to become part of a fast growing company
    Opportunity to travel for consulting roles
    Opportunity to work with various technologies and industries

Cons

Extreme lack of diversity from the Executive Leadership down, without any regard to making any changes
    Priorties of "the firm" are the what you do (sales numbers, utilization), the how you accomplish is lower in importance - this says a lot about the culture of the company
    Mentoring is not considered a key contribution - it is expected, but it is not valued
    Technical training is not valued enough to set aside funding, the only way to get external training is if you find a project that can/will fund - thus you are limited to the technology of that project
    Promotions are clearly about who you know and not about what you do

Advice to Management

Until you value your people, truly value them, you will continue to see your strong performers walk out the door. Yes, this is to be expected from a consulting firm (as clearly stated by Phil Parr) - and yet somehow our competitors (those much more successful than HCC) have been able to identify ways to keep their strong performers and even add to them.

"Lacks training and career development"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

Pros

Great health insurance
    A lot of PTO time

Cons

Management doesn't listen to you about your career development wishes
    Not much training, especially with technology
    They make non management people do a lot of administrative work such as creating proposals billing clients, and sales work.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more opportunities for training. For people that have functional consulting experience, it can be a challenge to get good technical experience and knowledge at Hitachi Consulting. Also Hitachi says that they listen to employees regarding career development. However, I've found that they usually just try to staff me on any project they can find. Plus, some of the project managers lack leadership ability and shouldn't be in charge of other people.

"It was a great company...many years ago."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with are smart and interesting.
    The local office culture is strong in Houston.

Cons

Senior Leadership is out of touch with their employees.
    Senior Leadership does not know how to run a company of this size - they are flying by the seat of their pants.
    Local Leadership has no autonomy or authority to make things happen.
    Long work hours, small raises, even smaller bonuses.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics - stop over engineering everything.
    Get engaged with the people and stop leading via spreadsheet.

"Laying off left and right - Way behind plan, poor management"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really decent, hardworking people, especially at mid-lower levels

Cons

Sr Management with little to no long-term vision or concern about retention
    Failure after failure at acquisition goals
    Unrealistic revenue goals given resources and plan
    Poor communication between Sr Management and the rest of company
    Been slowly offshoring much of critical functions to India after purchase of Sierra Atlantic--but positioned resulting job eliminatiosn as "job redundancy"
    Laying off 6-10% of workforce in 2012

Advice to Management

Your drastic and almost reckless strategy for reducing operating income is obviously impacting both your growth and reputation. Word spreads fast, to market analysts and to potential customers.

"Hired under false pretenses, talked to in a condescending manner, then let go."

Current Contractor - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Facilities are top notch, IT system and department is quality.

Cons

Underdeveloped training within the HR department, management is ill equipped to lead, let alone manage. Instruction for new hires is non existient. Inconsistiency regarding the QA/QC of individual work.

Advice to Management

I applied for an HR Business Partner position. I have 7 years of HR experience, iincluding Supervisory and Sr. Managerial/SME experence supporting over 6000 employees at over 30 locations. After interviewing several times I was "the ideal candidate for a different position" and hired as an Sr. HR Specialist. Coming in I was told that my primary responsibilities would be to write processes for our routine HR reporting. Once I got here I was given a share drive full of reports, notes described as process documents and told to figure them out. After two months of my three month temp position I was able to reverse engineer the reports and determine how they were ran. I started working here in July, out of the 19 reports due each month, 13 of them had not been completed since April. Why? Because the only person who knew how to run them was the person I replaced. My counterparts had no knowledge, my manager didn't have a clue how any of them were ran. No big deal.
    While having to figure out how to run these reports, I was also now responsible for running the reports. The ultimate goal was to have our outsourced office in India take these reports over. Unfortunately, they lack the minimal skill required fo manipulate a simple spreadsheet.
    Come October, I'm told that they cannot hire me on full time, but would extend my temp status. I am now a Salaried, Exempt employee in a temp position, so I am not afforded PTO or Holiday pay, which Im' currently investigating with the DOL to ensure legality.
    Come the end of October, I'm then told that I would be let go December 21st, and recieved complaints that it took so long to iron out the issues with their reports. Reports that no one else knows how to run, let alone write process documents for.
    I'm disappointed as I do enjoy the work enviornment of the company as a whole, they are very much into volunteering and do alot of events for company morale. Unfortunately, the HR department here is in a bad way. I come from larger companies that support 10 times as many employees and while it was hectic, the knowledge base was there.
    If you are an HR professional looking for a worthwhile position, look elsewhere.

p.s. the person they hired for the HRBP position instead of me left the company a month ago. I don't know if it was by choice or by force. Other HR staff have either been laid off for budgetary reasons or have just moved to other departments; so its safe to say the issues are systemic.

9. "Horrible work environment"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company
    Brand name
    Can't really think of much more than that

Cons

Disorganized
    Left hand does not know what right hand is doing

Advice to Management

Follow through on commitments. Promises are made and never delivered.
    Care about employees

10. "Has generally been very good, but in the last couple of years with new leadership in the US, things have deteriorated."

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

Good, fun, smart people on projects

Cons

US Leadership team lacks ability to lead and motivate people. Vertical Industry teams are hostile to horizontal Solutons teams