Hitachi Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance depends on project (in 28 reviews)

• Their yearly review process takes too much time and didn't seem to be very effective (in 24 reviews)

"Get your act together and focus"

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My immediate "career advisor" is awesome Work from home Flexibility. I think they want to be better, but are just having a really hard time getting there. The offices are nice.

Cons

My immediate "career advisor" works very hard to insure we are happy and productive. Unfortunately her hands are tied. The corporate strategy is all over the board. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. The social innovation vision has not come to reality and they do not have any team in place to truly support any vision. There is no sales strategy or direction. The internal processes are completely broken. It's very difficult to get anything done systems. Horrible on boarding and unproductive. Lack of leadership that will be held accountable. Lots of layoffs, but not enough from the senior leaders that have been making the mistakes.

Advice to Management

First things first. If you're going to be One Hitachi, merge. It's ridiculous. We are competing against each other all the time. Hire leaders that have clear expectations and get things done. Too much managing up.

"Good"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible . Good place to work.

Cons

Not many projects. So future looks bleak

Jun 19, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

3. "Big changes"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a positive company, with as much communication as can be possible is such a large enterprise. The people are typically nice, and work/life balance is promoted.

Cons

Making a big turn as far as industry kinda goes right now.

Apr 19, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thanks for your feedback. Communication is especially important during times of change, so pleased to hear our cadence of communicating what's important and providing you a line of sight into how we... More

"Nice people, lack of vision"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, good work life balance

Cons

Not a lot of variety in project work. Hitachi Consulting is trying to move to Solution Innovation projects but doesn't have the work to staff their employees yet and they are behind the curve on all other areas of tech consulting. There were major lay offs throughout 2016.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people you cannot staff. Start selling more projects that you claim are the future of Hitachi Consulting.

"Dysfunctional and Broken System"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

- Good starting ground for new consultants to learn the ropes and get some experience under their belts
    - Pay is great for new graduates with no experience
    - Flexible schedule to do what you need to do
    - You get to work with a lot of intelligent people
    - As core, you have the opportunity to work with people in your own age group
    - VP level really cares and emphasizes open door policy
    - Vacation policy is flexible, allowing you to "borrow" time

Cons

- Horrible communication from corporate down and between all levels in the office
    - Layoffs in October 2016 created a distrustful environment
    - Performance review is subjective to manager opinion - not necessarily based on merit or performance
    - Managers and above can be immature, unprofessional, petty, and ill-equipped to be in a leadership role
    - Promotions are lock step, there's no leeway to accommodate for consultants who go above and beyond their job requirements in between annual review
    - Functional consultants are either underutilized in personal secretary roles or overworked to replace managers - with barely any opportunity to expand their technical skills
    - Core consultants are not compensated in pay or title when forced into manager level roles after one leaves (with no intention from leadership for replacing the manager)
    - Barely any women in technical leadership roles
    - Pay is not comparable to other firms
    - Extremely high turnover in all levels (including VPs)
    - Certain projects have an old boys club mentality which breeds a toxic and abusive environment
    - Limited opportunity to be creative or think outside the box - more of a "do as you're told, they way that I want" culture
    - Work doesn't always promote best practices, just whatever gets the job done
    - The projects available don't reflect the skills of the consultants they hired
    - Not enough managers and above to create a mentorship culture
    - Company culture is dependent on younger consultants, with little to no participation from managers and above

Advice to Management

Your employees need to feel appreciated. Being underpaid is just one aspect of dissatisfaction. They need to feel engaged in the work their doing, have the chance to use their intelligence, work in a professional, respectful, and collaborative environment, and also know that there is room for upward movement for their career. People leave after two years because there's no where to go but out.

Give your leadership proper management training. Being an SME doesn't always translate into being a good leader that's capable of supporting and fostering new consultants in the field.

Transparency and honest talk will help mend the distrust. Giving a plethora numbers and reports does not equal transparency. Sending executive leadership to host "straight talk" who end up speaking "consultantese" does more damage than good.

Be specific about your hiring. The core program was a good idea in theory but there aren't enough projects to go around, and not enough managers to teach.

Mar 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for your honest feedback. Hitachi Consulting is going through a major transformation to meet clients changing needs, and with change, difficult decisions are inevitable. Changes to our... More

6. "HR Office Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Senior Management, very supportive to employees

Cons

Abundance of Travel, no work life balance. Certain departments were difficult to get a longer with.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, or they will find a new employer.

Feb 15, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. We do believe that the employees at Hitachi Consulting are our best and most valuable asset, so we are disappointed to hear about some of your experiences... More

"Really going through a turbulent time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard to find anything positive to say

Cons

Constantly changing directions, senior leadership leaving left and right, bogus HR claims and fight for good resources

Advice to Management

Get your act together and get off of your high horse

"Excellent people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Deep collective experience among the management team
    Some of the best professional development advice I have ever received in my career
    Fantastic methodology and process oriented approaches
    Support for careers at different stages

Cons

With lots of big corporate clients, it was hard to find "meaning" in the work I was doing
    The longest hours I have ever worked, by far

Jan 12, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thanks for your feedback! We are so glad to hear about your positive experience with our company culture, and we agree - There is nothing quite like the amazing individuals who make up Hitachi... More

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are new to consulting Hitachi is a great company to work for. They have an extensive training program for every level of employee.

Cons

Their yearly review process takes too much time and didn't seem to be very effective. You are assigned to a manager and they are responsible for advocating for you when it comes to your overall review. Having someone else basically control how you are perceived and what advancement you will get is not an effective or fair system.

"Big Changes no communication"

Former Employee - M ANAGING CONSULTANT in Milford, CT
    Former Employee - M ANAGING CONSULTANT in Milford, CT

I worked at Hitachi Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Salary, good benefits, nice business culture and the opportunity to go with in the organization. Allow for different positions to be tried out.

Cons

No communication from upper management. Big organization changes were made with little or no word from management. No mention that lay offs were coming before getting hit by it.