Hitachi Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance depends on project (in 28 reviews)

• Their yearly review process takes too much time and didn't seem to be very effective (in 25 reviews)

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Project to have started my consulting career with. Lots of challenges for resources to shine, especially if you are in mid senior level and working with client and offshore. Amazing synergy with technology partners like Oracle. Lots of opportunities to present and speak with Signature events like Open World and Cloud day.

Cons

I worked in hitachi close to 15 months. I was brought in as Manager to lead an ADF implementation, in a project that was almost unsure of go live. We had a great manager and VP. We took the challenge and worked days and nights to make this project a success and we had more SOWs signed. Unfortunately thats when things started going down. We had more VPs and Directors assigned to the account and things really went spirally down for those who worked. I had a lot of credit assigned to me during the course of things. My existing manager had left and new managers and mentors came in. The moment GARM came, all my credits were taken and assigned to others who hardly contributed, just because I had enough credits to get promotion and others needed it for their promotion. Seriously ?? I tried to stand my ground and it reflected on my rating as I was construed to be arguing with my new manager. I was asked to make a compromise and promised to be taken care of in the later years. Now with all that said, the performance rating and the credit system is just a joke behind the scenes. The management can promote and bring up who they want to by stealing others credits and accomplishments and make things look normal to top management. I quit hitachi without waiting for my promotion or bonus, although many in my management tried to convince me. I was happy to be part of implementation, but very unhappy with the politics played by the middle management. I felt it was unethical.

Advice to Management

Many projects are top heavy, resources on the ground who are doing the heavy lifting are rationalized, but I cant say the same about the number of managers. Some managers don't even know how to assess employees on the merit of work done. Many managers on the ground don't even know what the technology is about.

Apr 18, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We have shared your viewpoints to the Leadership team. We appreciate the time you have taken to articulate your experience and will use it to find ways to improve... More

"Strategic Direction of Firm is Confusing"

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- smart people to work with
    - good work / life balance

Cons

- there has been a reorganization every 1-2 years recently
    - much confusion on the new Solutions focus of the firm; no training or clear direction on how to achieve
    - new incentive compensation structure is a disaster; effectively cut everyone's compensation by lowering base salary with a promise of higher bonus that does not exist

Advice to Management

Look back at the core values that made Hitachi Consulting a great company in the mid-2000 years. Great culture, strong geographical relationships, leaders who are visible in the office to all levels

Apr 10, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for your feedback. We admit that Hitachi Consulting has undergone a tremendous amount of change. We are working hard to reinvent the company so we are offering the most relevant and... More

"Shutting down offices nationally - AVOID!"

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Okay pay and benefits. Some smart and nice people to work with.

Cons

Company struggling financially and therefore shutting down most offices nationally, under the guise of "going virtual". Just announced that Houston office is closing.

Advice to Management

Solution strategy is not working. What is Plan B? Merge with Hitachi Data Systems?

Apr 20, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thanks for your feedback. We have no intention of misleading our employees. The decision to move forward with virtualization of some offices was made due to office spaces being underutilized. As our... More

"Limited Career Growth Opportunities"

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, people are smart

Cons

Technologies and overall company feeling is dated
    Company does a joke job of addressing sexual harassment, makes offenders watch a training video as punishment, its shameful
    Company is creating "solutions" that no one seems to know anything about, very uncertain how employees will keep their jobs
    Only opportunities are in technical roles or technical PM roles

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees, don't hire business analysts and expect them to be content doing admin work
    Investigate sexual harassment claims

Mar 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

We’re sorry your experience was anything but positive. A lot has shifted at Hitachi Consulting but what hasn't changed is that we take harassment claims of any type seriously and conduct a thorough... More

"Lost, Confused & Has No Direction"

Former Employee - Core Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Core Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Pay: Pay grade is good for new college graduates with no experience. However in the long term, raises are rare.

Cons

1. Lack of Direction: The company overall suffers from a lack of direction all the way from top executives to VP's in different regions. In particular, the company has no long term planning around diversifying its portfolio with clients. Especially in the Seattle office, there is a strong, and unhealthy, dependence on major clients that consistently bring in large contracts for VP's but gives consultants mediocre, uninteresting work. On most occasions, these contracts are simply staff augmentation work - which provides no real challenge to consultants who wants to learn and grow their skills.

2. No Clear Processes: The company has no clear processes for many things, but in particular, its process around staffing consultants that are on the bench. Speaking to my experience, trying to get on a project while being on the bench was a confusing and humiliating process. When consultants are on the bench, they were encouraged to connect with a HR resource that works in the Dallas headquarter that has no relationship with the consultant and has no interest in growing their career or staffing them in a role that they are interested in. Consultants at Hitachi are often forced to compete with each other for projects - in particular, I can recall an experience where I was told from a VP that I was the top contender for a project, only to be left out of the communication and told afterward that another consultant was picked. During this time, the VP and PM had conversations with the other consultant that was picked in front of me, giving them tips on how to ace the interview with the client, without bothering to communicate to me about the decision. It was extremely disrespectful and offensive to me after being told that I would be given the opportunity to be staffed on the project.

3. No Company Culture: The company does not make investments into building its company culture. There are standard events that are organized by core consultants, but management makes no effort to build relationships with their employees. Most consultants still at the company are already interviewing for other jobs - the culture and politics is extremely toxic and morality is low.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Develop better processes for consultants on the bench. Pay attention to the long term direction of your company. Stop being blindsided by the bonuses from your sales with major clients - in the long run, you will run out of those projects and your employees will leave you because you don't value their interests or growth.

Mar 20, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. We have shared your viewpoints to the Leadership team. We appreciate the time you have taken to articulate your experience and will use it to find ways... More

"New Leadership killed the company with no plan B."

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Hitachi Consulting (More than 5 years)

Pros

The great thing about Hitachi Consulting USED to be the people but unfortunately the between leadership not supporting revenue generating practices and eventually shutting them down and great people leaving or getting fired. It's like a ghost town.

Cons

The Executive Leadership Team and their lack of focus. Putting all their energy in a new strategy while completely abandoning what made Hitachi work instead of a phased approach over a period of time is a rookie mistake.

Advice to Management

Get it together. You have to understand the business you want to be in in order to be successful. Good luck. So sad to see the ruins that are left of what a great company.

7. "Great consulting firm"

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

Work life balance and career opportunities

Cons

I don't see any cons

Apr 5, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are glad working at Hitachi Consulting was a positive experience. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

"Get your act together and focus"

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My immediate "career advisor" is awesome Work from home Flexibility. I think they want to be better, but are just having a really hard time getting there. The offices are nice.

Cons

My immediate "career advisor" works very hard to insure we are happy and productive. Unfortunately her hands are tied. The corporate strategy is all over the board. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. The social innovation vision has not come to reality and they do not have any team in place to truly support any vision. There is no sales strategy or direction. The internal processes are completely broken. It's very difficult to get anything done systems. Horrible on boarding and unproductive. Lack of leadership that will be held accountable. Lots of layoffs, but not enough from the senior leaders that have been making the mistakes.

Advice to Management

First things first. If you're going to be One Hitachi, merge. It's ridiculous. We are competing against each other all the time. Hire leaders that have clear expectations and get things done. Too much managing up.

"Core Consultant"

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

Good Company Culture and collaborative environment

Cons

Leadership direction not clear, compensation lacking

Mar 15, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Hitachi Consulting is committed to creating a beneficial, transparent and collaborative environment for all employees, so it is disappointing to... More

"Senior Manager"

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, benefits, and health care

Cons

Too many to list here

Advice to Management

Management of SAP Practice should resign...you are clueless about the SAP market

Apr 3, 2017 – Social Recruiting Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We would welcome an opportunity to discuss your concerns in greater detail. We do value this feedback and will use it to find ways to improve... More