Hitachi Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hitachi Data Systems CEO Ryuichi Otsuki
Ryuichi Otsuki

Pros
  • There is a lot of work to be done but the company has great work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• Many employees also have the flexibility to work from home (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance across entire staff - many are idle, while others are buried (in 10 reviews)

• No career progression opportunities (in 8 reviews)

1. "High Tech Sweat Shop"

Former Contractor - Senior Technical Writer in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Technical Writer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Reasonable hourly rate.

Cons

Micro management. Extreme work hour expectations. Little concern for health (mental and physical) of the workers. Workers are treated as expendable.

Advice to Management

What you think works to motivate employees does not.

"Unable to remain competitive"

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is attainable; Starting pay was good; Most employees just want to help the company transform

Cons

Top level management decisions are slow to come; Decisions are made in corporate "mahogany row" without input from others; Raises are non-existent and tied only to promotions. Promotions do not really exist either.

Advice to Management

Transformation is difficult but can be accomplished using the correct management to drive these initiatives. Former sales leaders are needed in upper management but shouldn't drive any of the development or transformation initiatives.

"Completely Irrelevant Technology"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent people and good benefits just doesn't seem to make the grade when you're constantly 6-months to 1-year behind your competitors.

Cons

Sales management was a revolving door of poor decisions which ended in HR removals (3 of them) during my time. Executive management chooses to sit in their Ohio Home Offices with maybe 3 visits per year to one of the biggest markets in the US, and then wonder why the numbers are not good. Chicago Office continues to under perform from lack of support and coverage by VP levels and above.

Sales Engineering which support the Chicago Sales team, do not compete well nor do they know Hitachi's own products beyond PowerPoint... This is nothing more than a lazy attitude as there are ample opportunity to shadow PS installation. 's for sales actually made.

With absolutely no answer to today's market challenges (Flash Storage w/ efficiencies & No Cloud) stay away.

Advice to Management

Figure out deduplication and Cloud... Otherwise figure out how to start selling pieces of the company.

"Avoid this place, unless you work in Sales"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

collaboration within the division is open and helpful

Cons

Sales *always* wins every argument, including any technical or political argument.

Advice to Management

sales needs to be held accountable for making poor choices and not blame others

"When’s my next vacation?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is good, if you need it for your family.

Cons

Management will try and sell you your job by making it seem better than it actually is.
    Very slow career progression with low pay and no raises.
    People create groups to protect themselves and separate them from others.
    Morale is frighteningly low. The person sitting next to you is most likely thinking, "When is my next vacation?"

"Agesim at it's most Japanese finest"

Former Employee - Product Support Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Product Support Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly good pay, flexible schedules can be negotiated. Possibility of work from home.

Cons

Can't work from home. Schedules are dictated by management.

Advice to Management

GO back to school, better yet work somewhere else.

"A good place to end your career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed working schedule - leave early or work from home; as long as you finish your work, there are no issues. Individual contributors are encouraged to explore and try new technologies.

Cons

Too many layers of management and too many stakeholders. Large amount of meetings about nothing. Management does not seem very motivated. Projects are constantly delayed. Compensation is unfairly low.

Advice to Management

Managers need to be chosen carefully. If your leadership is not inspiring, then the team members will not be the best. Spend less time on politics and more on your team.

"Contract Assembly Worker"

Former Contractor - Assembly Technician in Norman, OK
    Former Contractor - Assembly Technician in Norman, OK

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

On site cafeteria provided good food. They pay was okay for the work. Occasional bonuses were given every other month.

Cons

Drama, everyone hated everyone else, people would constantly try to get others into trouble.

Every three months you were forcibly volunteered to work three weeks in their distribution center. This often meant 12+ hour days, and no days off for the entire duration, regardless of you having children/dependents.

Strong and obvious dichotomy between contract and core employees, which resulted in core employees being able to unload a lot of the grunt work on contractors. Most of the time these were cleaning duties. Most core employees would never clean. But they'd sure reap the benefits of the bonuses for having a clean area.

The liaison for Adecco would always withhold information, mostly about any and all bonuses one would acquire after time spent there. I was also almost run over by her in the parking lot on several occasions.

I was often "cat called" by several "gentleman" there, and had several other rude remarks made to me. One "gentleman" in particular, made several repugnant remarks about me, and when I brought it up to my lead, he dismissed it and told me that the person had won the lottery a year prior, and it was useless to say anything because he didn't need the job anyway. I was not the only woman that this happened to.

My lead would always look at my chest when speaking to me.

There were several days when we would finish early, or not have that much to do, and it seemed like were punished for it. We'd have to scrape up all of the tape that marked off locations, and reapply new tape, regardless of it's condition.

People who were outside our area were always extremely loud and distracting. They'd walk by having extremely loud conversations or talking on phones.

They would wave, being hired on as core, in front of our faces constantly. But they'd always let several people go right before the designated time to hand out bonuses. This is supposed to be a temp to hire business, but only like 1 out of every 400 people ever get hired, and they have to be there for several years without any raises or benefits.

Advice to Management

Stop treating contract employees like garbage. They do more work than your core employees. Treat Sexual-Harassment claims seriously.

"Not what I expected."

Current Employee - IT Staff in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good amount of vacation.

Cons

I was very excited about the perks and accolades I read about, but disappointed to discover nine of them actually exist. Internal technology is a mess, projects seem to be approved on nothing more than political wins, there is a complete lack of communication between leadership and the business and everyone works in a silo. Lack of one on one meetings, no annual reviews, no objectives and I hear there are no performance based raises. I can't for the life of me figure out how the company makes it onto any "best place to work" list. Incredibly frustrating.

Advice to Management

There are so many issues, I don't know where to begin.

"Double standards"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Free exercise class with great instructors. However, bosses may be unhappy with you go to the gym and will give you more work.
    2) If you are married or leave far from office, you have flexible work hours, ability to work from home, excuses to leave office early to pick up kids etc.
    3) 6% 401K match vested after 3 years of service. In the meantime, they don't give you pay raise and increased your workload.

Cons

1) If you are single, you are treated differently:
    - Need to be in the office every day and be at your desk for at least 9 hours a day. Even if you have meeting at 8am, you still need to stay in office after 6pm. They do not care about productivity, only want visibility.
    - On Friday, bosses can leave early/WFH and run their errands and back online in the late afternoon at the comfort of their houses. They may send you work at 4pm and want it by today. Expect singles to have no plans on Friday evening.
    - Expected to help married colleagues do their filing/scanning since they don't work in the office everyday for 9 hours (usually WFH). Singles will need to work late and help.
    - Low cubicles in some areas and if you sit with all the bosses, you are in luck and expected to be at your desk before they arrive and leave after they are gone. They forgot that they earn much more than us.