Hitachi Data Systems Reviews in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor

3.1
Hitachi Data Systems CEO Ryuichi Otsuki
Ryuichi Otsuki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great focus on work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• The approach towards employee is very good, there are many benefits (like work from home for example) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor work life balance, even though its supposedly part of our culture and values (in 11 reviews)

• Poor management and engagement across the services organisation in ANZ (in 11 reviews)

1. "I had a great experience!"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

SO helpful and responsive to your needs as an intern! Everyone was really kind. The women in the cubicles around me (and men would have done the same, I'm sure, if they were seated near me) made a special effort to introduce themselves, take me to Zumba classes in the company gym, and so on.
    And if I wanted to learn something new or get clarification on something without bothering my boss, I just emailed someone else in my department and they literally would take an hour out of their days to explain stuff to me. Where else?! And this is even after the company re-organization that caused a lot of people to be overwhelmed with new work assignments. Kindest work culture I've ever encountered. You'd be lucky to work here!

Cons

Since I was a project management intern, which wasn't officially a position until me and my boss made it one, it was difficult to make assignments for me to do initially and the work I was given seemed like I was just an assistant to the boss. But once we figured out my strengths, it was all smooth sailing from there! I do also hear that the pay/benefits are on the lower end, but since I was just an intern, I didn't care.

2. "Sr. Software Analyst/Programmer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

HDS has got a very good working culture.

Cons

IT @ HDS is heavily dependent on offshore and other 3rdParty packages / tools. They do not show interest in encouraging home-grown applications.

Professional growth is a major struggle - no proper tools to assess performance.

"HDS experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally a good place for a number of years, great cafeteria, great gym on site. Good policies/procedures.

Cons

Used to have more stability, but recently RIF'ed most of a large team. Cut team back by 80-90%, to 10-20% of pre-RIF size.

Advice to Management

Plan further ahead, ensure there is a roadmap with buy-in from others in management.

4. "Lots of changes"

Current Contractor - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Contractor - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

good work-life balance. You often work with excellent talent. Hard working teams with good executive leadership.

Cons

Lot's of different departments/teams that don't communicate with each other very well. In fact, not much interaction between people going on. Not a high collaboration environment. Not the most fun place to work either. The culture is very business like for a tech company.

Advice to Management

Advice to mgt: Try to foster a more collaborative environment with teams and departments cross functioning or working together better

"Sinking Ship - Beware"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many coworkers are nice. Santa Clara campus is convenient with the typical SV perks (gym, cafeteria, etc)

Hitachi has great name recognition. This is more true in Asia Pacific than it is in the US.

Storage is boring, but it makes a lot of money.

Cons

HDS is a sinking ship and has been for a while.
    The company has weak leadership and poor direction. Vision is shared at the quarterly town hall meetings, but execution is inadequate across the board. Executive management is scrambling to be competitive in the market and to make their revenue numbers.

Marketing at HDS is VERY WEAK. They have not found a way to deliver value propositions to customers and partners. There's a lot of backstabbing within this organization and it affects the other teams.

Product Management has lost its way. There are smart people in this org, but weak leadership and constantly changing roadmaps are frustrating and negatively affects sales. The good news is PM leadership has changed drastically over the past year and a half. The bad news is, they haven't been replaced with top talent.

Lots of nepotism at HDS. Don't be surprised if you are working with the son or niece of a past or current exec. They almost always give themselves away with their arrogant & untouchable behavior.

Sales is OK. Sadly, they are not give the proper tools to do a great job. Many teams have been cut recently and the morale is very low.

Similar to most tech companies, the old boy network is in full effect here. Most of the women is senior roles don't have much power. Japanese culture is very prominent and women should be cautious. No matter your title or seniority, you will be treated like an assistant to the men. I've seen this time & time again.

The relationship with other Hitachi divisions is either limited or contentious. The big Hitachi brand and flag is waved around a lot, but actual engagement between subdivisions is practically nonexistent. A good example of this is the relationship between HDS and Hitachi Consulting. They're constantly at odds and constantly stab one another in the back.

There is not much room for growth or professional development. Get as much compensation as you can coming in the door because you will never see a raise or a promotion.

HDS company does not offer stock to anyone.

Morale is at an all time low. I can't wait to get out.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand and figure our how you are going to be relevant in 5 years. Otherwise, you'll be calling Satya, Bezos, or Ellison your daddy after they buy you for pennies on the dollar.

Hitachi Data Systems Response

Sep 8, 2017 – Digital Communications Manager

Hitachi and HDS actively seek to build a workplace culture based on mutual trust and respect, integrity, honesty and pioneering spirit. (Inc. magazine recently published this article... More

6. "Diversity & global commitment: solve for One, solve for many"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President & CIO in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President & CIO in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As female executive, supports global diversity of thought to best solve society challenges.

Cons

Not a con, but reality of industry ... massive company transformation in- process and with that comes tough decisions, for the company, not necesasily for individual employees in all cases.

Hitachi Data Systems Response

Sep 6, 2017 – Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback recognizing HDS’ efforts to support global diversity! It’s true that transforming our business to compete globally in the developing areas of Xaas, IoT and Social... More

7. "HDS review"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Very team orientated
    - I had many opportunities to pursue different projects that gave me different learning experiences and different skills

Cons

no cons, I enjoyed working for HDS

Advice to Management

rating employees based upon a curve within the team does not work.

"Wont be around in a year"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a good company, until the summer of 2016 when the CEO and most of the executive staff quit.

Cons

Entire executive suite quit last summer from the CEO on down. Sinking ship, with nothing to sell. Their bread and butter which was Storage is now commodity. They can't compete in All Flash and are losing their lunch to startups. Their entire server line has been outsourced with no market differentiation. They are placing all their bets on HCP, Big Data and IoT. Unfortunately they have no IP in the analytics space other than Pentaho, which is nothing more than an ETL tool, and their IoT offering is a joke compared to competitors like Siemens. In a management meeting they have already admitted that HDS will no longer be a company, and they started calling themselves Hitachi Insight internally until they can find a new name for the merger of other failing Hitachi companies. New management all patting themselves on the back for lots of motion, but still not going anywhere. Normally, re-orgs flatten out top heavy management structures.....They actually took a flat org, and created these ridiculous silos.

Advice to Management

Put everyone out of their misery and shut the doors already.

9. "Never Been A More Exciting Time To Be At HDS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Opportunity to work on industry changing initiatives
    -Upward mobility
    -Competitive pay and quarterly bonuses
    -Diverse management
    -Vast extra-curricular activities
    -They have a day dedicated to dogs...yes, you read that right...and it's amazing.

Cons

-Outdated Campus
    -No snack rooms at headquarters

Advice to Management

Make HDS a "cool" place to work (physically)

"what a disappointment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

easy commute .
    small team size.

Cons

unprofessional leadership and poor project management style in software engineering.
    work culture not conducive to professional growth and productive team spirit. treating employees with little respect
    multiple rounds of layoffs within 2 years

Advice to Management

working on effective leadership in the team units
    willing to take feedback and suggestions