Hitachi Data Systems Reviews in Stoke Poges, England | Glassdoor

Hitachi Data Systems Stoke Poges Reviews

Stoke Poges, England (UK)

1.6
Hitachi Data Systems CEO Ryuichi Otsuki
Ryuichi Otsuki
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great focus on work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• The approach towards employee is very good, there are many benefits (like work from home for example) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor work life balance, even though its supposedly part of our culture and values (in 11 reviews)

• Poor management and engagement across the services organisation in ANZ (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Working Enviroment"

Current Contractor - Coordinator in Stoke Poges, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Coordinator in Stoke Poges, England (UK)

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of the company is such a healthy working atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help each other out and always seem happy, such a good team. The company really make you feel like a valued employee.

Cons

As the company is on such a large scale, sometime it can seem uncertain who the right person is too ask.

"No salary reviews for support functions in the UK!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stoke Poges, England (UK)

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, ok ish culture. Flexible working when you have a descent line manager...

Cons

If you are in a support fuction like finance, audit, procurement or even HR, forget about getting any salary review. Been here 5 years now, always exceed expectations, asked for a salary review and was told "no" due to no budget been available! You have to work in Sales as a Salesman to receive any salary increase or any reward & recognition. If not, you mean nothing to HDS, just a slave. UK support functions are not important enought to the management!

Advice to Management

Take care of your support functions and review salaries annually not just for Sales people! We work very hard to support the organisation and we dont even get our bonuses paid 100%. It is not acceptable for the management to do COE and spend a fortune when you have performing people who have not received any Base Salary review for more than 4 years!!

3. "A life experience"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Stoke Poges, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Stoke Poges, England (UK)

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good friends
    Great Working conditions
    Good bonus
    Good Pay
    Friendly
    Good Ethics
    Great Opportunites

Cons

Although good Pay Salaries are around the lower end of the spectrum for the type of roles around in the area.

4. "Hitachi the great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stoke Poges, England (UK)

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's one of the best companies I have worked for. They are a great bunch of people, friendly, good rewards and good career progression (based on people's feedback) I particularly like that I am being given a lot of responsibility and an opportunity to 'make' my career. Progression here is what I make it. You are the master of your own fate...I like that!

Cons

On boarding process needs improving.IT Equipment sometime approved when the employee joins which takes a few day to come in.

Advice to Management

Consider car lease / expense credit cards to employees that travel. Also may be good to have an individual who processes expenses locally to avoid expense claims getting lost in the post and enable timely reimbursement.

"Avoid for the safety of your health and career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stoke Poges, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stoke Poges, England (UK)

Pros

a reasonably decent benefits package and salary;

a good product range;

there are some really good individuals in the organisation (although not necessarily the management types.

Cons

I was rather disappointed with my time at HDS. When I think back to my interviews; they seemed very much like I was being sold a car or double glazing. It was a strong sales pitch from everyone I met. HDS are very good at making things (the company, the job, the people) seem a lot better than they actually are. It’s not the sort of open and honest transparency I would expect from a company of their stature and certainly not what is required when making career choices. In this respect I felt let down and for the want of a better word, “conned”.
     When it came to actually doing my job I felt trapped, isolated, ignored and fearful. Not an assessment that any employee in any industry/company should be able to say. However I believe this stemmed more from a complete lack of managerial skills by the management team. I think it was down to management being incapable of managing; surely a core requisite for a manager? A management team that has absolutely no ability to coach, mentor, support, train and help employees but rather immediately instil a fearful culture bordering on dictatorship tendencies. This environment essentially creates an awful atmosphere and life and had a major impact on me. You shouldn’t have to have counselling and therapy because of your working environment and managerial relationship. You shouldn’t be feeling tearful each morning driving to work. You shouldn’t be quaking in your shoes as you walk through the car park to your desk. It’s a lonely existence.
     Perhaps I can now reflect more objectively and say that this was restricted to one department in one office and not the whole company – I’m pretty sure this is the case. Maybe I was unlucky. I do believe that this isn’t the only department or company in the world that has this effect on its employees so whilst it seems I am singling HDS out; I’m purely basing this on my real life experiences.
    However to conclude, I wouldn’t recommend this company nor have anything to do with it now or in the future and therefore would give it the lowest rating possible.

Advice to Management

Upper Management don't relate to the general (non mangement) workforce so I would presume wouldn't know and/or listen to anyone of that ilk... if they would listen I'd say listen to your staff more and try hiring managers that can actually manage.

"HDS used to be a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stoke Poges, England (UK)

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HDS is punctual at paying salaries and looks good on a CV.

If you are in the right role (sales, HR) or location (Santa Clara, Krakow) you are very well looked after.

Cons

If you aren't in the right role or location you are treated as a cost to the company which they are continually looking to trim, benefits have been cut regularly over the last few years.

Pay does not keep up with inflation, you tend to need to change roles if you want a pay rise.

Limited to no scope for promotion or career development in certain locations, HDS can be a place where you go to see your skills decay.

If you enjoy a Christmas party, don't come here - it's been more than 5 years since the company held one in the UK.

Advice to Management

The company needs to start "walking the walk" rather than just "talking the talk". Many staff members do not feel valued and there is a sense in certain teams (IT, GSS) that the company is trying to attrition staff away from the company. There is also a perception that the company is more interested in attracting new staff than putting in any effort to retain existing employees.

To fix the current problems requires the company to work to get pay & benefits to a level comparable to when employees joined the company, provide scope for people to develop in their career and display through their actions rather than just words that employees are valued.