Hitachi Data Systems Reviews in Waltham, MA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hitachi Data Systems CEO Ryuichi Otsuki
Ryuichi Otsuki
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great focus on work-life balance (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible hours and ability to work from home when necessary (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company tries to talk about work-life balance, projects are often scheduled in ways that tip that scale (in 10 reviews)

• No career progression opportunities (in 9 reviews)

1. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Massachusetts in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Massachusetts in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great team with great products,

Cons

Not located at corporate HQ.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a good job, keep it up.

2. "automation team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

people are smart, nice and collaborative

Cons

lack of documentation, others i didn't found

"Technically excellent, weaker elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

Promotes great technical leaders from within, hiring standards are very rigorous, and has a system for building products that works.

Cons

Increasingly bureaucratic and thus difficult to have autonomy, sometimes unrealistic expectations from non-technical people involved. It's a small team within a giant company that's trying really hard to shield itself from them.

"Good Culture, Old Business"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, stable company. They are willing to take on new graduates and train them up in the industry. They follow industry best practices around version control, code review, bug tracking, and mostly choose good tools. You can have a family & a normal life, and get promoted from within. Many people who have stayed there for 5+ years and seem happy.

Cons

Technology feels outdated, not enough effort into delivering a high-quality modern product. Large organization with many global offices, different teams can feel disconnected. Company values sales more than engineering. Not enough compensation to keep top talent. Legacy codebases with too many features and technical debt.

Advice to Management

Give engineering more power to make important decisions and offer better compensation for engineers.

"Love working here, HDS benefits indirect"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and everyone is eager to make great products. We have really been working hard at ramping up our engineering org to a whole new level. All of our teams work really hard to always be using the latest software, development tools, and best practices. Everybody is very helpful and willing to consider multiple approaches. This one two punch creates an excellent learning environment for picking up a multitude of skills.

We have regular outings to relax and mingle. We also have events like hackathons to let people work in alternate projects or with different people or to just take a small break from the main job. There are also neat perks like being treated to a "night on the town" for when you really impress someone.

Internal to the Engineering group we work very hard to maintain a flat management style and startup culture. To a reasonable degree, engineers can seek what is most interesting to them and move between projects and products. Taking a year to work in alternate office locations to share work culture and practices between teams is also always an option, which can be refreshing.

Cons

The pay in engineering is a tad on the low side compared to the industry averages. The bonuses more recently have essentially become a static value where individual performance is no longer calculated. The healthcare benefits have become more expensive and less enticing in the time I have been here. There is a large disparity in quality of life between each of the main engineering offices in terms of how far they are willing to go to make your work life comfortable.

You have to game the system and move between roles and offices to force raises to happen.

At the office level, engineering is treated amazingly. At the organizational level, where things like pay and benefits come from, sometimes it still feels like we are still just a sales organization with engineering being treated as an afterthought.

Advice to Management

There is a clear disconnect between "What it was built to do/cost" and "What some people are selling it to do/market price". This feeds back negatively into engineering.

We don't seem to try very hard to make enticing employment offers. We spend an insane amount of time and resources skimming recruiting agencies, which has generally poor results. Often, when we do find someone we want to hire, we send them a lowball contracting offer where they are paid hourly and wont even get vacation time or sick leave. I understand this makes it easier to eliminate them if they don't work out, but that is what probationary periods are for.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time

Pros

The people here are really friendly and easy to get along with. The office is relatively young and energetic. A lot of the engineers seem really committed and hard working. There are some extremely talented engineers here as well. It's a fun place to work and management really cares about keeping people happy.

Cons

The health insurance isn't great, but otherwise the compensation/benefits seem fine.

8. "Nice company. Great people to work with."

Former Intern - QA Intern in Waltham, MA
    Former Intern - QA Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at Hitachi Data Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good internship opportunity.
    Gave interns hands on work which is also done by regular employees.
    Friendly staff.
    Office as a whole takes part in charity work.

Cons

Location - Too far and not many places to eat around.
    I tried contacting the office for a proof of work certificate/letter. Generally other offices give this letter in a day or 2. But HDS just kept redirecting me to different people and I finally gave up.

9. "HDS is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Waltham, MA

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, smart and friendly people

Cons

none that I can think of

"Hitachi Data Systems"

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent product, vision, and ability to execute at the engineering level. All teams are super competent. Many people work 1 or 2 days remotely to save on commute hassles. Management/IT has made this part of the culture.

Cons

Lots of work, which is also good thing- not many are working 8 hour days, but they are flexible in letting employees shift hours a bit as needed. There seems to be a different system and password for almost every task. I guess its part of scaling to a Billion $ company.

Advice to Management

None to give. From what i see so far, they are executing well...

"Sales company, not engineering company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Hitachi Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great bonus system, ok base pay, corporate offices have nice snacks, and funky décor. Great cooperation between employees.

Cons

Expensive health care options, very focused on sales, not engineering. Some managers are not technical enough and over-busy. Some culture clash with Japanese peers- they have a different work ethic than in the US. You can work yourself to death to keep up.

Advice to Management

Build great products if you want great sales. Building products for complex customer systems requires a lot of investment in development and testing.