Hitachi Rail Europe Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"pretty good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I worked at Hitachi Rail Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very dynamic environment, a good gym for your organizational and managerial skills

Cons

Understaffed, not well structured, to be improved.

2. "hitachi rail europe london"

Pros

very friendly people who are supportive and tend to be a give give culture. several opportunities abroad in particularly in japan, but more on a business trip bases than a permanent one
    rapidly growing company in the rail industry

Cons

come in with a good salary negotiated because it will be hard to renegotiate once in.
    many new recruits means that structure is unclear

Hitachi Rail Europe Response

Sep 6, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is good to hear you are you are having great experience at Hitachi Rail Europe. Due to the rapid growth of our company, at times, we need to adapt... More

"Great People"

I have been working at Hitachi Rail Europe full-time

Pros

It's very demanding environment and although we've been manufacturing for a couple of years we're still very new in terms of processes and procedures. We will achieve our goals because there is drive, ambition and passion in the people that work there. It doesn't matter what business or industry you work in, it's the people that make the difference and the vast majority of people who work their make it a pleasure to go to work.

Cons

It can be frustrating and highly challenging but you will get a sense of job satisfaction.

4. "Space to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hitachi Rail Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The multicultural working environment, harmony between (most)teams, opportunities to progress, and the feeling of contributing to something bigger.

Cons

Like everywhere, some people seem to have a chip on their shoulder that the world owes them something rather than getting the head down and doing the best for them and ultimately, the company. Other than that, its all pretty ideal for me.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to trim the fat. If people aren't pulling their weight, theres a line of people waiting who will.

"A Young Growing Business - Going in Exactly the right Direction"

Former Employee - Interim Administrator in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Hitachi Rail Europe (Less than a year)

Pros

I came in as a contractor for only a few months and sadly had to relocate due to personal reasons. I would not have left hitachi out of choice if I were staying in the area. They did give me other opportunities / employment options but sadly I had to decline.
    I very instantly fitted into the team and was made to feel welcome even though I knew my time there was short term.
    The company ethics are great and my team was very supportive.
    I wasn't really there long enough to make the most of my benefits but I can see they would be excellent for a longer term employee.................................
    I like their flexible approach to time and WFH. It helped me a lot towards the end of my contract with my family issues.

Cons

The only thing I'd say is that the hot desk policy was a little inconvenient, as I am a home bunny (bring in a lot of belongings and stuff!) and even though I was on a contract, I do like to settle somewhere for a while.
    Equally I realise that this works for some and not for others, and I can see that it is fair.

Advice to Management

Keep employing the people that you do........................ those you have chosen were a delight to work with and this is what made my day at work fly by.
    I wish I had seen more of the senior managers but I realise they are ridiculously busy so not always realistic to do desk visits.

"A really positive experience so far"

I have been working at Hitachi Rail Europe full-time

Pros

I've really enjoyed my time at Hitachi Rail, I've been here for a few years now and have seen some big changes with management and the way the business is run but overall everything has been really positive. The people are great and my team have always been really supportive. I feel like I have grown a lot as a person and the working experience has been really interesting. I have loved visiting various locations across Japan and Italy recently and look forward to all the developments this year across the business!

Cons

I don't think there are many cons in my team or department - everyone is really supportive and fun to work with and we are working on some really exciting projects. The only con for me is decision making at times can be a little slow as now we are a huge company, where we used to be very small, but I think that's normal across most corporate companies perhaps?

Advice to Management

Listen more to the junior management team and trust decision making, but I have had a great experience so other than that have been really happy in my role!

"A very progressive, forward-thinking company with oodles of flexibility"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Newton Aycliffe, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Newton Aycliffe, England (UK)

I have been working at Hitachi Rail Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an agile working policy in place and suits my domestic circumstances. this really is a peoples' company and there is an incredible amount of empathy and fairness from managers, that I have never experienced before with any employer.
    They are very quick to praise you here as opposed to just giving negative feedback. There is a huge amount of recognition and support for mental wellbeing and health too - with nice little touches such as a tea and chat event to highlight the issue and raise awareness.
    The atmosphere in the various sites I have visited is laid back but professional and a real sense of a company who are corporate and pro but allow individuality and endless collaboration. You are definitely allowed to have a sense of humour and your own opinion here without fear of judgement.
    Nice to be given vouchers at Christmas too - an unexpected surprise!
    Feel really valued and appreciated here.
    Very diverse workforce / variety of industry backgrounds.
    Good social events.
    Fabulous benefits and work / life balance.
    Little things like the complimentary tea and coffee go a long way.

Cons

Not necessarily a 'con' but I would like to see a bit more of a crossover with depots and head office.

Advice to Management

Values: stay open-minded - especially HR dept. These folks are so progressive and this is lacking in so many other businesses I have worked for so it is hugely refreshing to learn about the things they have been exploring!
    Keep treating people as equals; not a hierarchy. This really makes people feel valued and respected!
    You are getting all of this right - don't change.

8. "Want Stability? Don't work here"

Current Employee - Category Manager in Doncaster, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Doncaster, England (UK)

I have been working at Hitachi Rail Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company and frequently changing

Cons

No sort of process in place

Advice to Management

Listen and Support your employees

9. "Don't work here if you want stability"

I have been working at Hitachi Rail Europe full-time

Pros

fast paced environment, frequently changing, growing company.

Cons

No procedures or practices,

Advice to Management

Senior staff management requires more training

"Good training but unwilling to keep onto staff"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Newton Aycliffe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Newton Aycliffe, England (UK)

I worked at Hitachi Rail Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment within team who were friendly. Decent out of work opportunities (events etc).

Great CEO who was approachable and is keen to keep everyone informed of the major tasks of the company.

Cons

Unwilling to try and keep staff, very poor increases in work load or pay with promotions (I received less than a 4% pay rise for a major promotion)!!

Understaffed, everything is important and last minute, unable to take pre-emtive measures to improve the company. Mainly fire fighting problems which became a drain.

Advice to Management

Try to keep people motivated in the company and compensate them for their work. Feeling unrewarded for multiple years of work sets a bad option.