Hoag Memorial Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Braithwaite

Pros
  • great location, great people, staff was a pleasure to work with (in 12 reviews)

• They have the utmost best patient care and they have great doctors (in 7 reviews)

1. "Admitting Representative"

Current Employee - Admitting Representative in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Admitting Representative in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hoag Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice staff, flexible hours, not overworked

Cons

Favoritism within management, not willing to promote unless they like you

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, take what they say to heart.

2. "Childish Deparment Team Members"

Current Employee - EVS Tech in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - EVS Tech in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hoag Memorial Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alot of pretty girls.

Cons

Your own department acts like children so much gossip and bad mouthing.

Advice to Management

Keep employee information confidential. Instead of letting the whole department know your business.

3. "Amazing work culture ; management definitely needs re-training."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Hoag Memorial Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is amazing. Beautiful view of the hospital.

Cons

I agree with the below comments regarding management. It's a hit or miss. Management definitely plays favorites. They're very behind in EMR compared to other hospitals in the same area.

Advice to Management

Take time to teach and train employees.

5. "Sterile Processing Department"

Former Employee - Instrument Technician in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Instrument Technician in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Hoag Memorial Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very well managed, Sam Del Toro is amazing with his employees. Sterile Processing trains employees well, makes sure they are up to speed before letting them go on their own.

Cons

You must wait a year before trying to transfer to another department.

6. "Lead Lab Assistant Non Licensed"

Current Employee - Lead Lab Assistant Non Licensed in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Lab Assistant Non Licensed in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Hoag Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A wonderful place to work. It is not hard to see why so many who work here are "Lifers". The caliber of the work, the knowledge, the integrity, the care is just stellar. The reasons for its reputation and acalades are exemplified everyday.

Cons

Honestly not much to complain about. It's the kind of place where you if you have any issues or ideas, they jump on it and see how it can be valuable or accommodated. The only potential cons artist with the people you work with and different personalities... But that is any job. I'm fortunate to work with lovely people.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty great at celebrating people and accomplishments. Keep that up!! We enjoy seeing you notice us. Especially in the lab!

"Hostile work environment!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

This hospital is located close to the beach, so it does have ocean views. This is the only positive thing I can say about this hospital.

Cons

HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT!!! I have worked in hospitals for 19 years. Hoag is by far the worst place I have EVER worked for. Shortly after beginning employment with Hoag, I unfortunately got diagnosed with a rare nerve disease (CRPS). I initially took an intermittent leave of absence because I wanted to work as much as I could still. I began to be harassed and accused of "faking" my disease. When I told my Lead about it, his reply was "Well, what do you expect, for them (the subordinates) to be happy with you?". I was SO let down and shocked. I told my manager about it, and nothing changed. My picture got de-faced twice (which I will post on here) and when I reported it to Human Resources, their answer was to just put a glass enclosure over the picture so no one could get to it. I asked "But, are you going to actually take care of the root of the problem and not just cover my picture and sweep it under the rug?". Human Resources and managements answer was "yes". Unbelievable. So I replied by saying "But that doesn't take care of the problem, I am being harassed" I explained that I felt the proper protocol should be for all laboratory personnel to have to review and sign the 'Code of Conduct' again. They finally did, but Human Resources took credit for the idea later. Eventually, I started looking for a different job because the harassment and stress became so bad, and stress plays a direct role with my disease and aggravates it. So, I went to an interview and to my disbelief, the Manager I interviewed with had somehow spoke with someone at Hoag and that someone at Hoag had given all of my PRIVATE medical information to this manager at the nearby hospital I interviewed at! I was mortified and in actual disbelief and found myself trying to explain my disease in this awkward interview. This is a major HIPAA violation!
    To top this all off- my mother & father-in-law are benefactors at Hoag, meaning they have donated enough money to have a donor's plaque on the wall at Hoag Hospital. Obviously, my family will NOT be donating anymore money to Hoag. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!

Advice to Management

my advice would be: If an employee is telling management, to take it seriously. I was so hurt and disappointed at how everything is handled at Hospital. My Leads answer to everything was to "Let it blow over", and Human Resources just denies everything and tries to make the employee sound like they are being ridiculous, when, in all actuality, it's a VERY serious matter!

8. "Registered nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Hoag Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, team oriented, held to higher standards

Cons

Lower pay for area, raises are not very high.

Advice to Management

More competitive pay

"Admissions Rep II"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hoag Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

Great benefits, magnet recognized hospital, flexibility with schedule, great learning environment, good people to work with, clean work environment.

Cons

Favoritism, unrealistic expectations in some aspects from management, constant miscommunication between departments, focusing on numbers instead of actual patient care.

Advice to Management

Don't know whats worse between management coming in with a negative attitude basically putting a damper on the day, obvious favoritism of certain employees, or having a "I'm too busy to help you, figure it out yourself" type of attitude. Management needs to be more understanding that an entire new staff is not going to know 110% of each modality within the health center so being yelled at when help is needed makes going to work a dreadful experience. That being said, it also makes employees feel like they cannot ask questions at all or get the help they need.

10. "Every department counts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Hoag Memorial Hospital part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with a great group of people who were truly committed to providing excellent patient care using the best available technology.

Cons

Our department was not really appreciated. If you don't actively face the patient (customer) you can feel like a second class citizen.

Advice to Management

Remember that it's not just the doctors and nurses who play a vital role in patient care. Every department in the hospital plays a necessary role.

11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Hoag Memorial Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great resources
    Friendly/helpful staff
    Non Union
    Family feel

Cons

Irvine location offers far less specialties than Newport