Hobby Lobby Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • They are closed on Sundays which I love (in 133 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, driver dispatchers work well with drivers (in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • full time in seasonal which left those departments short (in 118 reviews)

• part time people with 4-6 hours a week (in 70 reviews)

1. "Great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Spring, TX

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff and friendly customers. Good starting wage, will work with hour restrictions. Nice discount on already cheap items.

Cons

Promotions/raises are hardly given out. Been working almost 2 years and have only gotten a $0.20 raise. Some times of the year you get little hours bc of yearly "limits"

"Cashier / some floor stocking"

Former Employee - Cashier in League City, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in League City, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Decent pay. Some managers promoted cross-training. Lots of locations. Keeping job is easy - no one seemed to ever get fired, even if they were slackers.

Cons

Little room for advancement. I wanted floor positions constantly, but was told I was too good of a cashier to move to the floor. That's the way to cultivate employees and promote growth...not. Management is a revolving door, but oddly, the managers that were good always seemed to leave while the terrible ones stayed. Starting pay is decent, but merit increases afterward? That's just an afterthought. They project a Christian image, and say they are a Christian company, but I guess that stays with the founder because it's not a value shared to employees. Employees were a mix of decent people who were established and adult, while many of the others were young, inexperienced Walmart rejects. Lax drug policy meant that many of these people did recreational drugs because there was no threat of getting tested. Store also seemed to rehire the exact same people time and again. If you like to hang out with a younger, party-type crowd with few goals and aspirations, while working for a company that offers little in the way of personal upward mobility, then Hobby Lobby might be good for you.

Advice to Management

The good mangers seemed to know what they were doing, but moved on to other places prey quickly. The poor managers were there the whole four years I was. They never moved up or out. Go figure.

"Department head"

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hourly wage, health insurance, paid vacation

Cons

Managers are demeaning to employees, refuse to allow employee to use paid time off for sick days or doctor appointments or emergencies. Believe they are above labor laws, encourages discrimination based on age and ethnicity, turns a blind eye and even when reported to corporate offices nothing is done. Managers use store camera to surveil employees when they go to the bathroom Big Brother atmosphere

Advice to Management

Nothing to say. You don't listen. A bunch of hypocrites

"cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier/Floor Help in Danbury, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier/Floor Help in Danbury, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your customers are all so friendly and are the to purchase things they love as opposed being there because they are upset. Therefore, your not getting yelled at or griped at .

Cons

Standing at the register for long periods at a time is hard on your knees and feet.

Advice to Management

Cashiers should be rotated out every couple of hours.

5. "You asked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good place to work. The people are very nice. The pay rate is also a good and fair.

Cons

It is hard to get on the full time plan. They don't open on Sundays. The vest were not all that good.

Advice to Management

Over all management was good. They were hard but fair. The were understanding when you couldn't make it work.

"Great Store, Upper Management Has Issues"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am into crafting so loved working in a craft store. Enjoyed helping customers find the right items for their craft projects.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Unloading freight from our delivery truck once a week.

Advice to Management

Create a better system for reporting workplace employment issues to corporate offices without fear of recrimination.

"Poor Store"

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time

Pros

Good pay, closed on sundays, some are family oriented and some are not.

Cons

This is not a good company to work for. I don't blame it on the owner, but the people he has running his business from corporate on down need to have people skills, treat people fairly and equal, don't discriminate, and also looking into a situation when it first comes up. Don't send information to the DM when you have a issue, corporate needs to handle issues, and look into those issues. Only if David Green knew what was going on at the Hobby Lobby in Houston,Tx 126 he would not be pleased. They are running his company like it is not a christian company!

Advice to Management

store 126 manager in Houston,TX he doesn't have a backbone, he let other people dictate his store, he rarely cares about people, and he is only for his self. He only nice to you when he needs you or wants to use you for a relay.

"Good Place To Start While in School"

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and team work

Cons

Needs to change the system of scanning items as well as ordering out of stock products to make the work process easier and faster.

"Pretty good"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sundays off, flexible shifts, friendly people, good money, relaxed atmosphere, relatively easy job, opportunity for advancement, and other good stuff.

Cons

The are very strict about behavior, dress code and other company policies. They're also a Christian company so there's no swearing or smoking or stuff like that.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any complaints. I enjoy working here and the pay is good. I like your company policies and the work environment, so you really shouldn't considerbchanging anything.

"It's an OK place to get more experience in the work force but as a student in college I wouldn't recommend staying."

Current Employee - Seasonal Stockman in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Seasonal Stockman in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The good reasons to work here is that it builds better communication skills with people. I easily get along with co workers.

Cons

The only challenge I see is to get things zoned and cleaned on time and also dealing with picky or rude customers.

Advice to Management

As a sudent studying criminal justice to get in the FBI academy. This job is the last thing on my mind. Most employees have a low self esteem and missed there chances for better opportunitys but it is understandable for situations they had in there earlier years but the only thing that gets on my nerves is that some just chose to do nothing in there lives when doors where open. The managers can be disorganized but some are very good with managing time and ideas before the last minute. The store I work at didn't have a better idea for good time zoning until the head management payed a visit. Unfortunately I tend to get bored easily in this job it just never brings any new challenges according to long term co workers.

Showing 25 of 1,190 reviews