Hobby Lobby Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • They are closed on Sundays which I love (in 133 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, driver dispatchers work well with drivers (in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • full time in seasonal which left those departments short (in 118 reviews)

• part time people with 4-6 hours a week (in 70 reviews)

1. "Not a Christian atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Closed on Sundays and only open til 8

Cons

The district managers are passive aggressive. They tell you the "right" thing but expect different results. Work longer, stay later -- so much for work/life balance. Just get it done. Change your vacation to finish projects.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk and talk the talk. Projects and other tasks have some unrealistic deadlines. Stop playing favorites with your store managers. The ones you favor can get away with being late. if you are not a favorite you get written up . Be consistent. Headquarters need to really follow up on the district managers not just look at the store conditions.

"Individual Stores May Not Share Christian Values"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time

Pros

Co-workers were a great group of people

Cons

Management was disrespectful to employees and customers; job interview didn't explain true nature of temporary job description, duties, or permanent job possibilities

Advice to Management

Establish an employee advocate position or department for employees to voice their concerns without fear of retribution

"managment at store 319 lawcenville ga"

Former Employee - Department Head/Cashier in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Department Head/Cashier in Snellville, GA

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offers a variety of different types of things to do as far as hobbies goes and always closed on Sunday.

Cons

They work you like a slave the managers are not very professional, they let certain employees do whatever they want to do. They don't treat everybody the same.

Advice to Management

Y'all should learn how to treat all y'alls employees the same, also take time to listen to all employees not just some I mean all of y'all employees. I recently got fired from store 319 in Lawerenceville, ga over some bull crap just because the store manager didn't like me ,She also made a hatefule and hurtful comment to me on the day before she left to go on vacation. So if you're interested in working at Hobby Lobby don't apply at store 319 Lawerenceville ga so in closing of this review here is the hateful and hurtful comment my manager says to me DON'T EMBARRASS ME WHILE I'm GONE ON VACATION. Hope everyone will take the time to read my review and GOD BLESS

"Co-manager"

Former Employee - Co- Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Co- Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay but the cons far outweigh the pro

Cons

I have 30 years retail experience and Hobby Lobby is the worst experience I have ever had. A schedule for hours was non existent. I never knew when I would be allowed to leave. While the company stands for all a Christian would want, at store level it is a joke. I would expect that more employees are turned from being a Christian after the experience. The song goes but they give sooooo much. All that glitters is not gold.

"Cashier / some floor stocking"

Former Employee - Cashier in League City, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in League City, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Decent pay. Some managers promoted cross-training. Lots of locations. Keeping job is easy - no one seemed to ever get fired, even if they were slackers.

Cons

Little room for advancement. I wanted floor positions constantly, but was told I was too good of a cashier to move to the floor. That's the way to cultivate employees and promote growth...not. Management is a revolving door, but oddly, the managers that were good always seemed to leave while the terrible ones stayed. Starting pay is decent, but merit increases afterward? That's just an afterthought. They project a Christian image, and say they are a Christian company, but I guess that stays with the founder because it's not a value shared to employees. Employees were a mix of decent people who were established and adult, while many of the others were young, inexperienced Walmart rejects. Lax drug policy meant that many of these people did recreational drugs because there was no threat of getting tested. Store also seemed to rehire the exact same people time and again. If you like to hang out with a younger, party-type crowd with few goals and aspirations, while working for a company that offers little in the way of personal upward mobility, then Hobby Lobby might be good for you.

Advice to Management

The good mangers seemed to know what they were doing, but moved on to other places prey quickly. The poor managers were there the whole four years I was. They never moved up or out. Go figure.

"Dept. Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warner Robins, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warner Robins, GA

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and Great Co-workers.

Cons

They do not background check their store managers well enough. The store managers are allowed to disrespect, belittle and bully employees.

Advice to Management

Better background checks on Store level managers. An undercover boss stint also comes to mind. Hmmmm. . David Green might want to become more involved at store level to find out what is really going on in his stores. Actually talk to current and former employees that actually reach out to him with concerns would be nice.

"Custom framer"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Salina, KS
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Salina, KS

I have been working at Hobby Lobby (More than a year)

Pros

Work is easy and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Not a fully 40 hr. week

"Not so Christian"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Attitude in the beginning. Happy smiles from everybody. Sundays off.

Cons

50-60 hr work weeks
    Robot managment
    Poor benefits
    $100 yearly bonuses
    Top brass all on different pages

Advice to Management

Get out of California. You do not know how to operate accordingly with CA managers.

"Worst retailer ever"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time

Pros

There on no pros to this company, simple greed is all there is that drives them, they could care less about their customers and employees that are below district level

Cons

They buy the cheapest inferior product available from China and have no real regard to safety for employees or customers. Continuous recalls sent to stores for mold and lead and it just gets thrown in the dumpster! No regard for employee safety when inspecting mold issues! They sell the cheapest product they can to quote "make profit" which is a slogan for them! Stay away or risk your family safety!

Advice to Management

Start caring about those that don't work for you! Even though you barely care about those that run your stores!

"Seasonal Nightmare"

Former Employee - Cashier in Murphy, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Murphy, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Sunday and holidays are always off
    - Friendly Customers

Cons

-Management is a mess, from hiring socially incompetent people to downright sociopaths
    - When hired for seasonal, you will work 40 hours a week, but only receive part-time pay (10$ an hour as opposed to full time at $15)
    - An environment that fosters mutual hatred and bullying by not only co-workers, but management as well
    - You're also forced to watch a video on why the Green family (Owners and Hobby Lobby) do not support birth control. It was a part of orientation and is not only offensive, but very unprofessional

Advice to Management

Think about how you treat your employees. Hatefulness and screaming in one's face will not get you anywhere.

Showing 264 of 1,190 reviews