Hobby Lobby Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • Store is CLOSED ON SUNDAYS (for religious purposes) - a guaranteed day off (in 122 reviews)

• good pay, schedule sundays closed (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to get full time can take several years to actually get (in 112 reviews)

• Hours that you work are limited if you are part-time (in 65 reviews)

1. "Only worth it as a last resort"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other employees are nice. They give you 15 minute breaks rather than the mandatory 10 minutes. The store is always closed on Sunday and major Christian holidays. Other holidays the store closes early.

Cons

I was working 37-42 hours a week but still considered part-time because the time you clock out for lunch does not count. Not including lunch I was still pulling 37-39 hours.

There are no scanners. This is rough during the holidays because the lines get super long and people had carts full of stuff that I had to manually punch in the prices for. A frequent problem is the price tags often fall off items and you have to call someone up to go find the price for you which takes a large amount of time. All this causes the customers to become angry, understandably. This is a very profitable company, the least they can do it make items scan-able. This causes another problem because the sales in the store flip back and forth every week so customers complain that an item is 50% off the marked price. Since cashiers have to manually put in the sales, we had to memorize the ad every single week. This leave room for a lot of human error. No one can be expected to remember the hundreds of items that go on sale.

During the holiday season (October- January), no worker is allowed to take vacation time.

The training is not the best. I was given half a day with another cashier before I was tossed onto a register by myself. There are many things that are discounted that are never on the ad that I was never told about. I was never taught how to do a split payment between cards, even the store manager did not know how to do it. One of the floor workers walking by heard me say I couldn't do that for them and the floor worker knew how to do it. I was working there for 3 months before I learned to do split payment.

After the holidays pass the work is very slow. It was mostly just organizing the candy at the counter and making it look nice. Very mind-numbing.

2. "Customer Service Manager"

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time

Pros

Sundays off, good pay rates

Cons

Hardly and staff training
    No barcode system
    Horrible Manager and HR department

"Worked in IT Department"

Former Employee - IT Department in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - IT Department in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

10% discount. Good people on various teams throughout IT. Very relaxed atmosphere and casual dress. Very hard to get fired. Very low stress. Nice new facility. Compensation is now close to industry standard for Oklahoma. Benefits are good, and nice that there is an onsite clinic that is free. Hobby Lobby is a very stable business with a solid model and respectable profit.

Cons

Management is severely lacking, no real understanding of what people do, or how they do it to perform their jobs. They do no allow working from home (unless you are on call), or any kind of compensation time (comp time) under any circumstances. This is compounded by a lackluster Paid Time Off policy that waits until your tenth year to be granted 4 weeks off. Job roles are not well defined, they want you to be able to do everyone else's job, but will not allow you to make basic decisions on any system for which you are responsible. Lots of finger pointing when things do go wrong. Sr. Management listens to whomever cries the loudest, which propagates a sense that butt kissing, and constant complaining will get you ahead. This is also a problem, as there is no upward mobility in any part of IT. You may get a title change (team lead, manager), but that only puts a target on you for when things fail. Honestly, the CEO I rate well, David Green is a humble, yet impressive man, but if he knew how the CIO ran things, I think he'd be less than happy. Hobby Lobby claims to be an employee centric company, but over the last several years has become less so. One significant example is penalizing the entire department for the shortfalls of just a few. Not allowing comp time or working from home due to lacklustre performance from a select few or the inability of their managers to "manage" is ridiculous. Admonish the individuals that underperform instead of burning the forest down because of one bad tree.

Advice to Management

Listen to, and respect your employees. Give them reasons other than money to stay, and make them feel like more than just resources. Current processes promote the less motivated individuals to stay, and anyone with a hard working ethic to leave, might consider changing your pattern to keep the best, and dump the worst.

"Store Manager-Disorganized direction from Senior Management and lack of training"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Woodbridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Woodbridge, NJ

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Sundays Off
    -Decent Holiday hours including black Friday weekend
    -Great Team Staff

Cons

-Seasonal Logistics. There is no structure or organization. Resulting in you wasting payroll of moving something a ridiculous amount of times. Week over week you are setting and resetting and reworking your seasonal department.
    -One Voice does not exist. You follow your District Managers direction to have it changed even within hours.
    -DMs panic when anyone above them visits. Reaction mode and wasted payroll.
    -Zero proper training from Co-Manager to Store Manager. Co-Managers run seasonal and end up not leading core business needs essential for store manager role.
    -Against any change in company processes. Despite large growth. The specifically tell you in a meeting in Oklahoma City to keep your ideas to yourself . They waste So much payroll

Advice to Management

Train and mentor Managers especially when they ask for help.

Fix seasonal shipments to a schedule!

Put peg counts on Plan-o-grams.

Change is good listen to ideas.

6. "Co workers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Pros

Great "work" environment interacting with customers.

Cons

Co-workers were rude and obnoxious.

"Eh."

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Off every Sunday, good hours of operation

Cons

No accountability to upper level managers. Number of hours required is inconsistent with the family friendly workplace they advertise.

"Front end"

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time

Pros

15 % off for employees

Cons

No real training, management may not reflect company values. Only leads or Managers get more than $15.

"assistant manager"

Pros

Discount percentage and seeing new merchandise before it hits the floor sometimes

Cons

Everything else. Work you like slaves

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter. They don't listen

10. "head of floral"

Former Employee - Floral Manager in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Floral Manager in Rochester, MN

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good pay and great co workers

Cons

long hours during the holidays

Advice to Management

listen to your employers for advice

"Co-Manager"

Former Employee - Co Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours, customers, locations, ability to work directly with customers
    ability to make decisions about customer service, hourly pay, opportunity for advancement for hourly employees

Cons

Upper Management, Training, lack of consistent direction, no clear direction, everything gets done twice because of lack of direction. no formal review process

Advice to Management

Pay salaried managers in accordance with competition, develop formal review process for hourly employees, develop training program for assistant managers.

Showing 177 of 1,093 reviews