Hobby Lobby Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • They are closed on Sundays which I love (in 130 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, driver dispatchers work well with drivers (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • full time in seasonal which left those departments short (in 117 reviews)

• Hours that you work are limited if you are part-time (in 68 reviews)

1. "Meh"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was above average for the area, not hard labor, and nice coworkers

Cons

manager was fond of humiliation tactics. Registers were outdated and all sale items had to be memorized. Pointless busy work should be the job title.

"Bad Store Manager"

Former Employee - Fabric Department Head in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Fabric Department Head in Mesquite, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Closed on Sundays, Above average pay for retail, Good benefits, Closes at 8 in the evenings and 9 during the holidays.

Cons

Management: It seems to be a trend that most of the managers will pick their favorites and award full time to them before long term part time workers who have proved to be sufficient. The last store manager I was under had an awful temper, wasn't open to suggestion, didn't want to help when it was requested, and was very unprofessional. He also promoted people to full time and assigned them a department but used them full time in seasonal which left those departments short. Running crafts on 1 full time employee when the company said there should be 2 for crafts. Those employees would be full time in seasonal so more than often there were 3 full time people working in seasonal everyday even after the holidays.

Unorganized: I told my store manager many times that we were short handed in fabric. He would train part time and full time employees from other departments on the spot for lunch coverage. Our frame shop was also short handed and many times went without coverage.

Hour cuts: After the holidays and inventory many of us would only get 30 hours if we were lucky.

PTO: I lost 80 hours of PTO because the company does not pay it out when you leave. It's used to managers discretion so often when sick we still would not get to use our PTO.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If they ask for help then do what it takes to help them. Do not tell them you have better things to do. The productivity of the store starts with the managers and everyone follows their lead. Lead to receive.

"Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Department Head in Olive Branch, MS
    Former Employee - Department Head in Olive Branch, MS

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is great & friendly staff

Cons

Horrible managers. They treat you like you are nothing and only listen to respond not to actually listen to the issue at hand.

Advice to Management

Hire a new more personable store manager that doesn't lie and harass the employees.

5. "Questionable ethics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Closed on Sunday (with exceptions) and minimum pay for PT & FT is nice.

Cons

NOT closed on Sundays where a new store is being stocked and prepared for opening. Sorta hypocritical? Hiring older people to work and then putting them in obvious positions that they physically can't perform the work in hopes of them quitting. Who puts a 60+ yr old woman with two men to unload 4 truck loads of stock by hand. No forklifts to remove pallets and boxes from trucks. No gloves, no back support/ brace until the end. Given an hour lunch but only the men were relieved for an additonal 15 minute break. Worked 12 hrs one day and couldn't stay past normal scheduled leave time the second day of unloading and could tell management didn't like it. By the third day; couldn't get out of bed. Covered in bruises and open cuts on arms and legs. Had to sign a paper saying what ever position/department they put you in to work you will accept. Had to quit due to knowing that this particualr position was dangerous for a women in her late 60's. Apparently being a "mature" women means you're qualified for heavy lifting with an all male crew but not cashiering.....???

Advice to Management

If you decide people aren't a good fit for your company then just let them go. Try not to put them in an early grave with work that they obviously shouldn't be doing due to age or physical limitations and/or disabilities. Not very "Christian" of you.

"Lead cashier/Customer service"

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Yukon, OK
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Yukon, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very competitive wages. Co-workers are wonderful. Best customers around. Mr. and Mrs. Green are wonderful people.

Cons

Management has no loyalty to dedicated employees. I worked there almost 5 years to the day. I developed some serious health issues and had to miss quite a bit of work for awhile. Found myself on the fast track for termination.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your loyal employees. Demonstrate compassion when things arise that are beyond their control. Listen to your employees. They are the ones on the front line representing your company!

7. "Good job during college"

Former Employee - Cashier in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, good environment

Cons

late nights around Christmas time
    closing took forever

"Hobby lobby what I think about that"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Charles, LA

Pros

Good pay work with great people

Cons

Long days no over time only ever other sat off no three day weekends

Advice to Management

Full time people should be treated a lot better

9. "I love my job 85% of the time."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sundays off. Very nice Christmas bonus. Holidays off due to HL being a Christian store. Really enjoyable if you have an interest in the products they sell. Usually on top of trends with products.

Cons

Management has its issues. Customers are sometimes rude for no reason at all and think we're stupid (that's all retail tho)
    Inconsistent hours scheduled from week to week, sometimes only work once a week.

Advice to Management

Communicate more to other managers and employees.

"Former employer"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company pay is good. Benefits is OK.

Cons

Not caring of employees. The company needs to be more concerned about it's employees and their well being than just their numbers and overall productivity

Advice to Management

Get a heart
     Management is not concerned about their employees like they say they are. That hurts

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Derby, KS
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Derby, KS

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Christian company, treatment to their hourly and go managers is good. But not the same as a store manager.

Cons

RVP is belittling to store managers. DM does not back up store managers. Often had no recollection of previous direction given.

Advice to Management

Encourage rather belittle your store managers.

Showing 282 of 1,152 reviews