Hobby Lobby Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

1,137 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • They are closed on Sundays which I love (in 130 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, driver dispatchers work well with drivers (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • full time in seasonal which left those departments short (in 117 reviews)

• Hours that you work are limited if you are part-time (in 68 reviews)

"Low pay and too much stress."

Current Employee - Department Head in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Department Head in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

It's easy to get a retail job since turnover is so high.

Cons

Zero opportunities for career advancement... apparently, if you aren't already in with somebody in corporate, you are unlikely to even be interviewed for a corporate position.
    Huge amounts of stress for very low pay... feedback from management generally amounts to hurry and get you order finished, hurry and get your freight put away, hurry and straighten the stock, hurry and help cashier. When you are fortunate enough to work in their corporate store, you also get the district and regional managers looking over your shoulder and telling you to hurry up.
    You usually have to endure a lecture anytime you request to take a day or two of sick-time about how there aren't enough people scheduled to cover for you.

Advice to Management

Inventory control seems to be the most overlooked area. Saturday mornings are a free-for-all for shoplifters since there are only a few employees scheduled, and they end up working as cashiers primarily. The lack of bar-code scanners means that any item sold can be rung up at discount prices, whether they are on sale or not. The lack of any reporting of shrinkage (from broken items from the warehouse to empty packages found stuffed behind and under other merchandise) means that corporate has no idea why their profit margin is shrinking. Cutting back on payroll will only make this loss worse. And videos showing how the sales people should keep an eye on customers to prevent shoplifting are a joke, when there aren't enough staff in the store to even answer customer questions.

"Christian owned company? Yeah, right."

Former Employee - Fabric Counter/Cashier in Round Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Fabric Counter/Cashier in Round Lake, IL

Pros

Discount on craft supplies, Sundays off

Cons

Very little respect for employees, Very hard to get time off (said you would get any days requested 2 weeks in advance. I requested one day off for the high school musical I was starring in almost 2 months in advance, and was still put on the schedule. I was guilted by my managers when I tried to get someone to switch shifts with me), Management incompetent, Saturday mornings at the fabric counter are frantic and an unbelievable amount of stuff gets stolen from there, managers get upset when called to cash register, Low pay (I got under the minimum wage at the time.)

Advice to Management

Show respect for employees. Hire more, and at more than minimum wage. Show that you are a Christian-owned company.

"Run Away !!!!!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Keyholder in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Dayton, OH

Pros

the casual dress and the discount

Cons

training is very poor. Computer systems are outdated. Management doesn't care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and spend some money on updated computer system. I mean really. You still type in the prices at the register.

"AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!"

Current Employee - Fabric Sales in Chambersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Fabric Sales in Chambersburg, PA

Pros

Closed on Sundays and 15% discount

Cons

Hobby Lobby misrepresented itself from the day I applied. I was told that when the store set up was completed and the store opened officially, I would be making $10 an hour. The help wanted ad in the newspaper stated the same thing. When hired we were all classified as temporary employees and started out at $7.75 an hour. Well, the store has been opened a little over four months now and I am still classified as a temporary employee and still making $7.75 an hour. The ordering system is a joke because it is so antiquated. Everything is done on paper and can take more than a day to complete. The checkout system is just as bad because everything is done by hand-no scanner system. Was told by my manager we will never have scanners because then they could not pay employees $10 an hour. Where is my $10 an hour. I am fed up doing the work of three people and expected to have everything done yesterday. Too many resets in the store. Tired of dealing with leaks from the ceiling in our dept. and having to keep moving the green totes to catch the drips because customers keep moving them. Tired of being lied to by management. Tired of still being classified as a tempory employee and being treated like a peon. This is the first job I ever worked at that my hours depended on store sales. This company makes billions of dollars anually why won't they pay us more to keep us? Several people have quit since we opened and I don't blame them. I am trying to find another job that pays me what I am worth. I regret the day I ever applied at Hobby Lobby. The stress for me is overwhelming to the point that I broke a tooth in half from clenching my jaw. I do not know how much more I can endure from Hobby Lobby. I have e-mailed HR twice concerning things my manager has said or not done and they did not care enough to even e-mail back. Is this the company you want to work for? Think twice before filling out that application.

Advice to Management

Management needs to put his foot down to the CEO or he is going to lose all the good employess he still has. Fight for your employees and quit lying to us. Treat us with respect and stop working us like dogs. I doubt if Mr. Green knows half of what is going on in our store.

"you succeed if they like you"

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

salary is very good compared to other companies

Cons

no family life
    no respect
    favoritism
    district mgrs

Advice to Management

walk what you talk

"slave labor"

Current Employee - Home Accents Manager in Hoover, AL
    Current Employee - Home Accents Manager in Hoover, AL

Pros

pays more than min wage

Cons

forced to work overtime W/out pay. you are scheduled to work 12hr days for multiple days in a row and then are cut at the end of the week so they wont have to pay you overtime yet your body has already suffered for the overtime pay. manager incompotent. employees treated like slaves and management belittles employees. the co manager at this store does more work than the manager but is always thrown under the bus by the manager so he doesnt look bad. the manager does nothing in this store unless the district manager is coming in. the district manager is nice but if u talk to him the manager threatens to fire you because he is so scared someone will tell on him. this is supposed to be a christian ran store...yet they treat their employees like trash. we work at a store that our salaries cant afford to even shop at because all we get is 15% off...basically tax..the greed at hooby lobby is amazing. not to mention the store is still in the stone ages!

Advice to Management

do yourself what u ask your employees to do! there needs to be a number 4 employees to call when they need to speak to higher management.

"Do not Apply here"

Current Employee - Calmed Down --But Angry! in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Calmed Down --But Angry! in Orlando, FL

Pros

There is a good discount for employees on merchandise in the store and Sundays off, along with closing time at about 8PM.

Cons

First and foremost I have calmed down from my previous posts to hopefully have a post now about this store. I will abide by the guidelines of your postings. However, if this is any indication of how upset people get at this store while working there, it is not good at all. I do not see a strong future in this retail store because of the practices going on in it. There are too many corners being cut in order to open one of these stores even up. The long hours put in are ridiculous to say the least and you are treated like a slave during the weeks of setting up the store. The breaks, you might as well not have any. The management is little and far between and the only positions left after setup are cashier and stocking. They will pick and choose who they have to run the departments for them and they will fire half the staff after setting up the store. There is nothing more or less that needs to be said about this company, without going into further underlying details, but it is ashame that I think a better option than working for this store is living on the streets.

Advice to Management

Learn to be a manager, that is first and foremost on the list of anything. I am not sure how the managers are being picked or chosen, but in instances I do believe that it is the good old boy network in which it is done. The whole non scanning system, if it has to be done simplify the register so that there is a simpler method of key entry in order to speed up the lines at checkout, have a better return policy other than a 10 step process system for a customer returning merchandise. Have better signs throughout the store and mention that we are a non scanning company and why. LOOK at your employees who work the long hours of your store and helped to open it up. Learn who they are as individuals what they are capable of, because they are your backbone. Have advance planning on things and new setups, instead of working 12 hours shifts plus for people see how you can override costs with better scheduling of shifts and movement of items throughout the store. On the upper level management end of things, have and keep better track of trucks coming into the site and try to eliminate trucks being late ALL THE TIME! Oversee the store better and keep better track of inventory going in and going out, since nothing is bar coded and nothing is alarm coded. Quit nickle and diming employees and give credit where credit is due.

"not for experienced workers,anyone needing an advance schedule,or having competency in crafts,decor-not needed."

Current Employee - Floor Salesperson/Back Up Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Floor Salesperson/Back Up Cashier in Orlando, FL

Pros

IF given FT,you will receive min 32hrs and better than min wage(currently $11.) PT work pays $8 &some get less than 15 hrs per WK. The work itself is SIMPLE,no challenges. stores have a loyal following,much Christian decor displayed.

Cons

mgmt not interested in labor: lip service but not practiced. among these "Christians" feels like a viper pit: morale low,back-stabbing,gossip,goldbricks . driving out real workers by cutting hours and keeping those who tow the line(shut up). promised when engaged in slave labor readying store(12-16hrs day x 20 straight days) that you'd get FT spot- then hired new PT for holidays instead of giving those w/"sweat-equity" the hrs. most(even FT) still looking elsewhere.this store does not post schedules in advance=fri find out for week starting mon !? projects need completion?get them to stay late/come early - a little planning,scheduling would go long way. mistakes made receive write ups- but training( yes, WE learned from them) would prevent in first place.

Advice to Management

instead of hubris about profits- perhaps put some of that into living wages for ALL. most employees are happy to have a job, most would be more productive,TEAM workers, and would make a nice, internal society helping to fulfill your mission. family run,privately held corp is good, all American ideal. but maybe create jobs with your buying power here. instead of bolstering economy of china. still lots of souls needing help in USA.

"While the proport christian values , and closed on Sundays, it's only closed to customers there are many times they requ"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Mason, OH

Pros

No sales pressures ,, For hourly closed on sundays

Cons

Excessive hours required ny Management , low staffing to tasting needs

Advice to Management

Hire more associates, get a customer service program in place.t

"Human Slave Factory"

Current Employee - Nothing in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Nothing in Orlando, FL

Pros

Great discount on item in store!

Cons

If you ever worked in the mines at the turn of the century, which of course I haven't, but the conditions of 12 to 16 hour days with no breaks, and constantly on your feet for 3 weeks straight then you will get an idea of what it was like to open up one of these stores. If you were not on your feet constantly during these 3 weeks, then you were more or less booted out of the store, fired! Whomever spoke out about taking breaks or that we were tired they were fired that evening behind everyone's back. It was not permissable to speak out against the store and their practices at all! The wage was slightly above minimum wage and the long hours put in were ungodly. Most especially for a religious company. It was all about work, nothing else. The day started off with a morning prayer and with most everyone in a circle gathering around like a commune. Most of the practices were more or less brainwashing techniques in order to just get the job done. I don't know how or wonder why a company like this could ever treat it's employees so harshly in my life. For the life of me I don't understand or realize how they can get away with it in the 21st century. It seems that no one cares about the inhumane practices going on in this store, nor does anyone ever want to confront them about it. It is a crying shame that this store threatened your job, and you could not even relax for one second on this environment. I hope that someday as the bible says: you reap what you sow!

Advice to Management

No one ever listens and someday not so soon more people will be hurt both emotionally and physically by this modern day Slave Factory!

Showing 1,137 of 1,145 reviews