Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews about "close at 8"

Updated Jul 24, 2020

3.1
Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green
1,003 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Worked full time hours for part time pay(in 102 reviews)

• "Long hours throughout various months in the year(in 83 reviews)

Reviews about "close at 8"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "cashier"

5.0

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time

Pros

You get Sunday's off and they close at 8. At the latest, you'll probably be there until 9 after closing. You also get a 15% off discount added onto everything including clearance. you also get a holiday bonus

Cons

Hours that you work are limited if you are part-time. 30 minute lunch

2. "Not what I expected AT ALL"

Current Employee - Retail Associate in New Port Richey, FL

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sunday’s off, stores open at 9 am and close at 8 pm. good employees discount includes sale items and clearance for immediate family that live at same address. start out at $10.45/hr.

Cons

Christian owned store but Not everyone who works here has a Christian attitude. Each store is not run the same. Depending on your store manager, you may be scheduled until 9pm and are expected to work until the closing mgr decides you can go home. Not quality training. A lot of OLD SCHOOL ways on running a business. Sometimes you’ll get FT hours(seasonal) but never get FT pay$ or the FT benefits. PT rarely get any raises even if you have proven to be a quality employee. Could be just The store I work at. Can’t speak for the others stores. Only half hour lunch break. Employee moral at this store is horrible.

Continue reading

3. "No upper management support"

2.0
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Off on sundays, close at 8

Cons

Upper management gives conflicting direction therefore confusing employees on expectations

"Hobby lobby"

Current Employee - Department Head/Customer Service Manager in Bridgeton, MO

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked in retail management for 5 different companies over a 20 year period. Hobby Lobby is the first company I've worked for that values their employess and treats them like human beings. They close at 8 pm and are closed on Sundays to give employees time for family. Full time employees are off every other Saturday to ensure two full weekends off per month. Every year we receive a Christmas bonus of $100 for every year worked. When my father passed they sent flowers when I was hurt in a car accident they told me to take as much time as I needed. It really make a difference when you feel valued.

Cons

Raises have been insignificant for the last three years after five years of dollar raises across the board. It is difficult to get promoted from within.

5. "Good company, friendly people."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Frisco, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

Pros

Close at 8 most the time and off on Sundays

Cons

Work a lot when holiday time comes around

6. "Wasn't Bad"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

Never work a Sunday, close at 8. Major Holidays closed or close early.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement, but that was from my manager not from higher ups.

"Good First job"

4.0
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

You always get Sundays off and get home earlier than most retail stores since they close at 8 pm. Part-time pay is about $10/hr which is good for a first-time job.

Cons

There are no scanners at the registers so you have to learn the departments and discounts very well. Hours around Christmas are especially demanding. You have to be pretty flexible.

"Great company - horrible store managers"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sundays off, close at 8, good benefits and pay

Cons

managers don't always share the same values that the company espouses, this includes people who are over the store managers. complaints about harassment and ill treatment are ignored. managers stays, even gets promoted, employee gets pushed out of their job.

9. "Department Manager"

5.0
     in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Hobby Lobby is always closed on Sundays, and they close at 8:00p.m. By the time the store is recovered, the staff is out of the building by 8:30p.m.

Cons

Advancement is limited, and the discount is low.

Continue reading

"OK place to work - If you LOVE retail."

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Antioch, CA

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Seeing all the cool products come in (if you're a crafter) - Closing early (doors close at 8 pm 95% of the time) -Ability to work in different areas of the store -after a couple of months to a year, you learn the ins and outs about the store and sales ad. -management team is pretty flexible with hours and time off. If you need to come an hour later because of an appt. or accident, they're flexible with that (at least my managers were) -Even if they need more employees for the day they generally wont call you on your day off unless they severely need the help. This is great when you're used to a place that never respected home/ work life balance. -Employee discount can be applied on all items, even clearanced product -As an employee, can use the 40% coupon, too.

Cons

(I understand that some of these Cons might be specific to my workplace) - The management team seems to care about you, and some do, but in reality they are about only themselves and their bonus at the end of the day. - Some of the most irritating and rude customers I've ever met in my entire life. -will not bring you on as a full-timer even if they see you have great capabilities because the management team is cheap -will move you around the store and work you harder than a "rented mule" (as my coworkers joke) just to squeeze they're money out of you -No light at the end of the tunnel - No possibility of moving up unless a full-time employee quits or you move locations. -Lots of gossiping and backstabbing. Yes, believe it or not, just because this company is Christian, does not mean its the greatest place to work - its still retail. -I understand loss prevention, but they make employees check out with a manager at a separate register, you have to use a clear baggy for your product, and if you buy candy? It has to be written on that it was purchased by an employee. -There is a math test for the interview. If you fail, you're out. This is all ridiculous by the way. I always carried a mini calculator on me because I'm dyslexic and have trouble with small things like that. -Racism. Yes, racism. It is tolerated and fueled in my store. Mostly between employees but also with loss prevention. -Managers will ask you to follow someone around the store that they suspect is stealing, sometimes JUST based on appearance. Its embarrassing and rude. I understand loss prevention but if sometimes its ridiculous. -They frown upon you talking or making friends. Even if you are doing your job just fine they will break it up. -Unfair environment if you're a hard worker, always picking up the slack of lazy employees. If they don't answer phones -you do. If they don't go up to the register when called -you will etc. Managers say they notice when employees are lazy but seem to never address it. -managers play favorites while making weekly schedule -Be prepared, even if you have a department, you will be asked to work the rest if the store ---There is so much more. Remember every location is different and I worked at one of the "cleaner/better" stores. Its retail in the end and I would recommend to those who love retail, lazy people and younger people going to school or wish to waste their adult lives with thus kind if work - but hey. maybe its your calling.---

Found 22 reviews