Hoffman York Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Troy Peterson

"Splitting from our Chicago office..."

Current Employee - Associate Creative Director in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Creative Director in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hoffman York full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Splitting from our Chicago office was the best thing Hoffman York has ever done. Especially with our new, awesome office space, we have a new energy and culture here at HY. Also with Dave Hanneken coming onboard as ECD, we continue to crank out great creative work for real clients. Not just pro-bono work to win awards. More than ever before, we have the right group of talented people to get the job done and done well. The good people here and lack of egos, gives HY the advantage over the other agencies.

Cons

We tend to always be super busy and we are understaffed in the creative department. We really could use more junior writers and designers at the very least. For employee reviews, you do have to personally seek out feedback and self drive any opportunities for personal growth.

Advice to Management

Annual reviews and getting some more junior creatives in here.

2. "Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hoffman York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The ownership and management teams at Hoffman York are extremely accessible and willing to listen to input/advice from anyone who cares to speak up. This is especially true of the current CEO.

The management team firmly believes in the power of its employees, and they offer up great opportunities for young, entry-level employees to take the reins and run with projects if you can prove yourself as a hard working, dedicated employee.

HY developed a series of committees (i.e. Brand, Culture, Environment, Employee Development, etc.) to help with the agency's transition after the sale of the Chicago office, and I believe these have been hugely beneficial in getting more employees involved in shaping the HY into a great work place.

Lastly, the new office space is extremely cool (so much better than the last office). You can tell a lot of thought went into the development of the space, and it is a great environment to work in.

Cons

The "six-month" reviews are not necessarily scheduled every six months, and employees usually have to make sure to ask their supervisors for their reviews. You may have to ask more than once, but they will schedule your review if you bring it up with your supervisors.

Some of the committees that were developed have had less output than I personally would like to see. It would be great to see those jump started in 2017.

Advice to Management

Continue to reach out to employees for feedback and advice on how to grow HY further. Regularly scheduled reviews and more projects for committees would help.

"Great Place to Start, Stay and Grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hoffman York (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity if you're willing to step forward and step up! Lots of super smart people to work with and learn from. A company with a long history of success that know that what made it successful is not necessarily what will keep it successful - always looking for new ways to grow. Located in a great part of town (the 3rd Ward). The agency has lots of energy and optimism.

Cons

Nothing major. As much as you can be at an agency, you're really in control of your own destiny.

Advice to Management

Managers can be a bit "hands-on" at times. Management group can occasionally associate experience with capability.

"New location & re-energized environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hoffman York full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Since selling off the Chicago office, which was healthcare heavy in their accounts and somewhat of a distraction to our accounts, and moving to hip loft space in the the bustling Third Ward, this place has found a new vibe and energy. There are a lot of employees who have been here for 5, 10 or even more years and everyone seems re-energized by the move, our "new" Milwaukee office focus and some recent new business wins. It's a little bit like we are one of the many Third Ward start-ups, but of course Hoffman York has been around a bit longer than that, so it also has the momentum of an established firm.

Part of the recent changes have been a new move to involve more people in the agency in the operations. So rather than having "management" make all of the decisions, there are a number of committees that run everything from the culture of the agency, to environment to brand--so everyone who has a sincere interest has the opportunity to participate in day-to-day, as well as the future course of the agency.

Cons

In the transition to separate from the Chicago office, there were implications to staffing--some transferred to the Chicago entity (which kept the HY Connect name), some shifted responsibilities, some left and some were let go. There were gaps in some departments and others had to shift responsibilities to make it all work. However, these changes mostly made for a flatter and more straight-forward organization, so now that the dust has settled, I think these disruptions are behind us.

Advice to Management

As long as management continues to involve employees in a positive & collaborative way, things are running better than ever. The management clearly has to include some younger voices in the upper management ranks, and there are some signs of this transition happening, but only time will tell.

"Fun and Energizing Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Hoffman York has become a more exciting place to work over the past 6 months. The focus is all on Milwaukee now, and things are pretty streamlined, organized and efficient. People seem to be given more ways to contribute and are getting recognized for it. Great year-end bonus this year, and fun events.

Cons

Some people who worked on Chicago business moved from Milwaukee to Chicago, so there are less people here now, but that provides more opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep creating more opportunities and great work.

Hoffman York Response

Feb 17, 2016 – VP, Earned & Social Media

Thanks for the great review! We're excited that you have noticed and appreciate the positive changes and direction of the company. .

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Hoffman York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location. Mostly fun group of people.

Cons

Too many partners; conservative in creativity.

Advice to Management

Put more trust in the experienced people you hire. They've been at other agencies more than you.

"A Complete Mess"

Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hoffman York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Youth. It's surprising how many talented but inexperienced people remain at the agency despite the complete dismissiveness they feel.

Cons

The leadership (or lack thereof), no vision or respect for the ground-level employee. Offering some of the worst benefits & pay in the market far below the average. When upper-management tries to communicate, a majority of the information shared is simply not true. Horrible clients with crippling budgets, zero aptitude to showcase meaningful creative, run amok by an inept account management team.

Advice to Management

Retire, cash out and move on or just let go. Let the next generation have a say. Your views and methods are outdated. Watch how you handle and treat employees who are minorities, women or of a certain age.

"Incredibly disorganized and understaffed"

I worked at Hoffman York full-time

Pros

Overall, the agency has its issues however the media department in the Chicago office is what can only be described as a train wreck. Supervision and outside learning opportunities are nonexistent. Employees are expected to work 12-14 hour days with no complaints. Constant turnover, without any new hires,, makes for a very unhappy and stressed team. These conditions are only worsened by inappropriate, uneducated supervision. I highly do not recommend working here if you have no previous experience in media as all qualified training personnel are busy putting out fires.

Cons

Small departments allow you to take on responsibilities you may not get at larger agencies and at one point in time there were some very gifted people who worked there.

Advice to Management

Hire capable supervisors in Chicago and strongly consider complaints by employees.

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hoffman York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Altogether my experience was very positive at HY Connect. You get to work with some very talented people, and if you've never worked at an agency before, it's a great place to start. My supervisors were always willing to work with my schedule and always interested helping me become a more confident employee.

Cons

Communication between offices seems a bit off - I'm not sure of the cause or a solution for it. There were quite a few department changes that came out of nowhere. I wish feedback would have been requested from those who would be affected by major changes.

Advice to Management

Leadership, provide more opportunities for two-way communication with employees. Surveys are good, but I think you'd gain even more valuable feedback from meeting with small groups when possible.

"Intern"

Pros

Excellent place to work here!

Cons

None was a great place to work

Advice to Management

None none none none