Holder Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas M. Holder

1. Featured Review

"Great Company with a Strong Culture"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Holder Construction (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a family feel at Holder Construction and they support and respect special needs based on family life.

Cons

High stress environment, but your effort is directly rewarded by the company.

Advice to Management

None.

Holder Construction Response

Feb 3, 2017 – Senior Coordinator Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate your dedicated service!

2. "Field office specialist"

Former Employee - Field Office Processor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Field Office Processor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Holder Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

best company to work for

Cons

this company is the best I work at

Advice to Management

Love you guys!!

3. "."Culture", mentioned often, practiced rarely."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Holder Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company, great benefits, did I say large company already?

Cons

Long hours, snobby management, a "click" really. Long stretches away from home.

Advice to Management

ALot of talk about "culture" and "family feel", but I was there in a temp to hire capacity as a project coordinator, and it was not t all a comfortable position to be in. Durning meetings management would tell the "associates" that Holder is hiring while 30 temp to hire employees sat there and listened, we were all competing for the position being offered up to others. Quite rude I thought. Management needs to treat people equally. Even the temps :)

5. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Holder Construction full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Holder leadership is on the young side and if you fit well with the company it is a great place to grow and advance very quickly.

Cons

As noted above if you fit well with the company and their values then you may advance very quickly. That said if you dont fit the mold of a Holder person it can be a very difficult place to be. I was with them for about 8 years and the first few years were good but then management changed and I found that some of what I was being asked to do was unethical and really made for a difficult work environment. I am use to long hours being in construction but Holder has a culture that promotes people working into the night even when they are not productive. I saw a lot of people just sitting around the office after 5, not really doing anything but afraid to go home because it is frowned upon. We had a very high turn over rate and upper management really did not care. They put a high value on the Great Place to work and make such a big deal about it that everyone is required to fill it out and if there are any negative marks they typically have a company stand down to discuss why this is so important to the company. During my last few years there was a lot of frustration within the company with how they treated people.

Holder Construction Response

Feb 3, 2017 – Manager, Human Resources

We thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and we appreciate your eight years of dedicated service to Holder. Holder is very proud of our industry low turnover rate of less than 8%. We ... More

6. "General Foreman"

Current Employee - General Foreman in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - General Foreman in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Holder Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

motivated safety procedures, great benefit and retirement plans, performance based company, safety incentives, great communication

Cons

long work hours at times... extreme weather conditions at times.

7. "Field Office Processor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Holder Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management, good benefits, good pay, continual company updates and amazing team building retreats

Cons

Occasional communication issues that effect your work

"Great Place to Develop Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Holder Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with many subcontractors and have the opportunity to develop many working relationships all over the country. You lead many different trades and different industries allowing you to develop a comprehensive overall knowledge of construction. They offer free classes and OSHA training.

Cons

The work-life balance is very poor. Some departments are understaffed making some teams work 60 to 80 hour weeks. There really isn't any associate development/feedback structure. Although they say position promotions are work performance based, they are more along the lines of time and department. The communication between upper management and lower tier employees is all over the place; it tires out the associates and aggravates the subcontractors when instructions are not clear.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your work horses, understand that poor work-life balance equals low moral, and learn how to communicate between each other so associates aren't continuously chasing ghosts.

"Field Cooridnator"

Current Employee - Field Coordinator in Wheaton, IL
    Current Employee - Field Coordinator in Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Holder Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company retreat. Training offered. Opportunities for experience on projects

Cons

No work life balance. Higher levels are very stuck up. Not everyone but a good majority has that "I'm better than you" type of attitude even when Holder preaches "Family"

"Hard Work but Great Compensation and Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Holder Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holder pays well when you put your time in and compensates you to move around the country. They take care of their loyal employees financially. They have a great company culture and the attitude is generally very positive.

Cons

The work ebbs and flows but generally it's a lot of hours. The bright side to that is that if they see that you're working a lot of hours but struggling to get all your work done, they're generally very responsive to getting you help.

Advice to Management

Make sure to continue to keep employees' workloads in mind. Stay focused on promoting associates when they've proven that they deserve it. Listen to associates' interests on career moves; employees should understand that every career move cannot be accommodated but doing what you can goes a long way.

"So far so good"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Holder Construction (Less than a year)

Pros

They are fair. They do what they say they're going to do, re: relocation support and expense reimbursement, crucial when cross country moves are par for the course. Holder supports, promotes and genuinely want their employees to succeed and progress. You will do well if you are naturally competitive.

Cons

Everybody starts out at the bottom no matter your previous experience. This is a pro and a con. Pro in that it supports their culture of promoting from within. Con in that you're probably making less starting out then you would somewhere else if you already have experience.