Holiday Inn Express Guest Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Guest Service Representative

4.1
Keith Barr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Meeting new people and helping reserve rooms for guests; my boss Daniel Potts was a wonderful (in 27 reviews)

• Calm, relaxed work environment that is good for all types of employees (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for housekeepers here (in 34 reviews)

• Front desk can't sit during their shift (in 33 reviews)

1. "Guest Services Representative"

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Shelbyville, TN
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Shelbyville, TN

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with the guest, and providing comfort and hospitality during their time away from.

Cons

Underpaid for the high level of customer service expected.

"Easy work for good pay"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'd experience this most during the slow season. 1-5 check ins, and you're working 3-11. Once the boss, housekeeping, and maintenance leave, you're in charge. It can get entertaining

Cons

Guests. Bad guests are never fun.

Advice to Management

Employee > Client. Take care of them, they'll take care of your customer.

3. "Great Company, it's all about the staff"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Holiday Inn Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hospitality industry can be great and frustrating at the same time, but the degree to which you enjoy your job depends on the location and clientele of the property and the staff with whom you work. If you go in everyday with a positive attitude and the energy to solve all customer issues as best as possible, you will excel in the position.

Cons

Opportunities to move up may be slim to none, it all depends on your property - their willingness to promote from within and the degree of turnover present. Sadly, they will value experience over education more times than not. Additionally, as in most positions, there is a great deal of office politics at work. Some properties will experience this more or less, but since each property operates as a small team within the larger corporation, there are certainly some politics played by upper management at each property.

Advice to Management

Give your young people with more educational experience opportunities to show their worth. They are better prepared to succeed over the long term in higher-level positions than those lacking a degree.

4. "Beware of the owners!"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Holiday Inn Express full-time

Pros

Loved the work and meeting new people. Rarely a boring day.

Cons

Some owners can be VERY cheap! The hotel I worked at was small but business from regular travelers, groups and corporations was growing dramatically. There was only 1 Guest Service Representative per shift regardless of the arrivals expected. And I use the title GSR loosely because on a plaque at the front desk it says Front Desk Manager on Duty, I can only use the GSR title on my resume and not the FDMoD title even though when you work 2nd or 3rd shift you ARE the MANAGER ON DUTY! You have to do everything; your regular duties, maintenance and housekeeping. While there were days that you could actually sit down to eat your lunch more often than not you will not be able to, especially if you will have a full house.
    The owners of the hotel that I worked for paid minimum wage which would not have been so bad if the responsibilities matched but it got to the point that the employees had to sacrifice customer service due to the owners not wanting to pay for extra part-time help or overtime if needed. AND if you do have to sacrifice customer service be prepared for a write-up, you will get one regardless of the circumstances.

Advice to Management

Owners: Hire part time help for your GSRs! Have them work the busiest hours or at the very least schedule a 2nd and 3rd shift housekeeper when the hotel is at least 90% occupied.

5. "A good place to start"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Powell, TN
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Powell, TN

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are nice and friendly.

Cons

The structure of management is not up to par, training was a joke, never a set schedule, cuts hours once you hit 40hpw.

Advice to Management

Make a set schedule for full time employees and use part time to fill in.

6. "This location already lost it's Holiday Inn Express name from poor reviews."

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Joliet, IL

I worked at Holiday Inn Express (Less than a year)

Pros

I'll be honest, the best part of the night audit position was that I didn't really have to deal with that many people. Probably due to the location of this hotel and my 11pm to 7am shift.

Cons

I loved every Holiday Inn Express I have ever stayed at but this location was terrible. The owner of the building didn't want to spend any money to fix the building up or for that matter keep anything working.

Advice to Management

Get new management. Invest in your property and your team taking care of it.

7. "Guess Relations"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express (More than a year)

Pros

Good hotel brand to work for

Cons

In-house management. ...does not allow you to do your job.... micromanage

Advice to Management

You hired us to do a job...let us do it

8. "Worked for a franchise"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative/Night Auditor in Marshall, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative/Night Auditor in Marshall, TX

I worked at Holiday Inn Express (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for Hospitality students. Offered 401K. Benefits were fine. Nothing to write home about. Gives you set hours making scheduling your life easier.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement. The pay wasn't great. I worked here as a student so they accommodated my class schedule, but its not a great place for parents with children.

9. "customer service"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

close to home. Usually quiet!

Cons

They are expecting their front desk customer service reps to do more and more with less and less. They hire almost minimum wage employees, but expect them to do services higher paid pros would normally do. It is not a great work environment at all!

Advice to Management

I don't know! Just avoid!

10. "Okay Temporary Job"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Paducah, KY

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pace work environment, which can make the job fun at times. You get a pretty a pretty good discount at IHG properties.

Cons

There is no set schedule. I had to work all three shifts within the week. You also have to work on holidays. The pay is also low. There is rarely opportunity for advancement, the GMs tend to stick around for a long time

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better (housekeeping and GSRs). Turnover would be much lower, and you would save money on training costs.