Holiday Inn Express "front desk" Reviews | Glassdoor

Holiday Inn Express Employee Reviews about "front desk"

Updated Sep 16, 2019

3.4
Holiday Inn Express CEO Keith Barr (no image)
Keith Barr
Pros
  • "IHG Hotels systems gives variety in creating great guest experinces(in 46 reviews)

• "Meeting new people and the employee traveling benefits(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "No benefits under the current owners(in 56 reviews)

• "Too many responsibilities outside of the front desk(in 39 reviews)

Reviews about "front desk"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Front Desk Agent"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly staff, it's not a huge hotel so everybody knows each other. Tammy is an excellent Front Desk Manager, she loves what she does and it shows.

Cons

It takes a while for certain issues to be addressed.

Advice to Management

We would get less complaints if issues with the card readers on side and back doors were fixed. Another main complaint is phones not working properly and towels not being replaced.

Holiday Inn Express2017-11-07
  2. "Mixed -"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Grants Pass, OR

I worked at Holiday Inn Express full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Customer base, location, housekeeping personnel, front desk personnel.

Cons

There was a strong divide between departments, which seemed to be resolved during my time in management. However, the number one complaint from employees here is that they were not paid enough. This hotel does not do yearly evaluations, or pay increases unless its the minimum wage increase. Additionally, should a staff member within the housekeeping department have a complaint about employee conduct, their... complaints would typically call on deaf ears. One of the main reasons I left is because I had so many employees openly communicating their frustrations to me regarding the above mentioned issues, and no matter how often I'd relay those messages to my manager, he rarely took them seriously. Additionally, I too was suffering from not making enough money while in management. I was started at 25 thousand a year, which I thought was fair given the fact that I had no previous experience as manager of a hotel. However, after 4 years in that position I was still well under the $30,000 dollar a year mark. I had done some research in our area regarding pay rates for someone in my position, and with my experience, and the starting pay ranges from 45,000-56,000 a year. Upon discovering the huge difference in what I was making, and what I could be making was a huge insult. I had a lot of pride for my hotel, our employees, our guests, and my job - but that realization definitely caused me to make a career change.

Advice to Management

After speaking with others within the hospitality industry, good help is hard to find - and very hard to keep. You guys have had so many dedicated employees stick with you for so long, they deserve yearly evaluations and pay increases based on those evaluations.

Holiday Inn Express2019-06-26
  3. "Front Desk Agent"

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time

Pros

Employee honesty Is top notch

Cons

Front desk area needs to be closed in and only assessable to workers. The open area makes it unsafe especially on the audit shift

Holiday Inn Express2018-12-20
  4. "Great company with great goals"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Service appreciation week The company loves recognizing their employees who excel Great bonuses for each staff section of a hotel like front desk, maintenance, housekeeping, etc.

Cons

Our hotel definitely needs more cameras.

Advice to Management

Maybe offer higher pay from the start to entice possible future employees who know their worth when it comes to customer service.

Holiday Inn Express2018-07-31
  5. "Run Awaaaay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR

I worked at Holiday Inn Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

None that come close to outweighing the cons

Cons

Minimum wage for maximum responsibility, no breaks, constant standing for 8 hour shifts, unorganized & sketchy management. They expect you to be everywhere at once- if there is a technical issue on their end because of outdated , glitchy software you are required to call tech support yourself and handle it while simultaneously checking in guests (how are you supposed to do that if there are technical issues?).... Was hired on as part time and immediately given 40 hours a week anyway with no benefits. Hectic hours, working until midnight one night with an 8am shift the next morning. Job was advertised on Indeed as $12/hr, but once I was signed on realized it was minimum wage. The anmount of work they expect (with no breaks & minimum wage) is insane. The individual hotels have private owners, so no complaining to corporate when labor laws are violated. Management sits around drinking coffee in their office while front desk staff is expected to run the hotel on their own.

Holiday Inn Express2018-05-23

"Beware/Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Housekeeper/Kitchen Attendant in Marina, CA

I worked at Holiday Inn Express full-time

Pros

Long Hours. What I enjoyed about the job mostly was being able to interact with the guest's. Front desk Coworkers were cool.

Cons

No Breaks, No Health Insurance Lack of professionalism. VERY HIGH TURN OVERS. A lot of Drama in Housekeeping.

Advice to Management

Remember were human beings NOT Robots. Appreciate you're staff a little bit more and when there is conflict being created by certain housekeepers SAY SOMETHING DO YOU'RE JOB.

Holiday Inn Express2018-05-12
  7. "night auditor"

Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

the front desk staff team is great

Cons

hskping management needs work.

Advice to Management

management leaves a lot to be desired.

Holiday Inn Express2018-04-03
  8. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pineville, LA

I worked at Holiday Inn Express part-time

Pros

Some good employees not all of them

Cons

Manager front desk and owners cover up problems with hotel also price gals people like the united pentocostals and baptist

Holiday Inn Express2018-03-18
  9. "Holiday Inn"

Current Employee - Front Desk in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

This hotel is only 6 miles from my home

Cons

8.25 an hour to start front desk. No benefits for full-time

Advice to Management

No one will stay with low starting pay and no benefits

Holiday Inn Express2017-11-19
  10. "Okay"

I worked at Holiday Inn Express full-time

Pros

-Employee rate benefits when staying at other IHG properties

Cons

-Unreasonable hours of work -General Manager I worked with, before leaving, could care less about his employees and did not help when the front desk got overwhelmed

Advice to Management

Please make sure to keep the moral of your employees up. This is a harsh business and it's easier to keep good employees if they feel appreciated and if you help them when things get busy.

Holiday Inn Express2017-09-09